• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Titanium Makai

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

Awesome! Pure awesome! :twothumbsThe beam that is emitted is very impressive, and I am in love with your new 38mm head. The XP-G at 1.45A with the McR-38-XP-G reflector is just plain awesome. Oh wait, I already said that :eek: I'm at a lost for words.

I can't wait for the 3s buck converters. I have been searching and waiting for someone to develop them. These look really really great! :D:D:D

Joel

Last edited:

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a very, very nice addition to the titanium lineup.

Nice job on the thick sapphire front glass :faint: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Those do not come cheap but I believe that on a bulletproof waterproof titanium light it does really bring some serious piece of mind. A mineral glass would have been a real weak point in the picture.

I think my 2xAA Pak has just found a buddy to pair with :)

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been a while since a light made me post over on CPF. The Mcgizmo thrower looks excellent. I m liking plain old non aspheric thrower for thier huge amount of very useable spill.
Remind me of MJ tower module goodness...
The single cell looks best but more lumens for a thrower light seems more practical

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
A thrower from McGizmo... :) Well, let's say throwy light, that's closer to reality I guess. Has it an SMO reflector? I think I detect a slight OP in most pictures, but I'm not sure, it would be logical though... After all, nice beams go hand-in-hand with OP reflectors and SMO are for dedicated thowers with no side spill at all.

Comparing the beam of the Haiku to the Makai 2x123 I get a grin in my face. They are pretty much the same with the difference that the close you come to the hotspot, the more brightness you have. What's more, teh beam is wider. That's a Haiku on steroids, would be my choice for sure! :thumbsup:

The design of the head is fantastic, it should be hard to get more elegancy out of such a big boy, I love the roundings... As for the inside, it shows what you normally never see and that this thing is tough! The lens of 3mm is probably bullet-proof... :D

Count me in for a 2 x 123 please! :hitit:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks for the kind words guys!

The reflector has an orange peel surface like all of my reflectors. No doubt a specular finish would increase the lux at any drive level but likely with some artifact and perhaps some relative null rings in the beam pattern. I didn't give any real thought to lens combos on this but I did give some serious thought to a shorter focal length and deeper reflector like the McR-27 L series. But considering the larger apparent image size of the XP-G coupled with its amazing flux, I felt the longer focal length of the McR-38 would enhance collimation and that the magnitude of flux in the light escaping in spill would be sufficient for a good flood around the spot and larger in viewing angle than a deeper and shorter focal length reflector.

Even though this light was designed to target and illuminate objects at significantly further distances than my other lights, at heart I still want flood and want to know as much as possible, what lies between me and that distant target. If there are any potential threats of objects of interest between you and the visible horizon, it's certainly nice to see them!

On the 1x123 pak, the light is definitely short in your hand but probably manageable for most of us. On the 2x123 or 2xAA, the head diameter is not part of the grip unless you choose to make it so for balance or whatever. The head also has some mass to it that you can feel and potentially even use as a deterrent to some critter intent on violating your space. Sometimes something larger in the front makes it easier to clear the way. In the image below, I had to clear past some abandoned web to get up close to the crab spider. The Makai made more room for my hand to follow than a smaller diameter light would have.

DSC_4548.jpg

With a 2x pak on the Makai, I think I will feel more comfortable on a night snorkel as the light will provide me with a better tool for potentially fending off than a similar light with smaller and less massive head.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arrrghh!! Stop it already!! :eek:

Gotta have one! Absolutely beautiful... count me in for a 2x123 - I need a throwy light and I love the fact that you preserved some spill.

Bravo!!

:bow:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
THis is the most beautiful head you ever did, Bud.

Oh ... and put me down for those Haiku 2x123 buck thingies, too :D

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would agree with that. The design is very refined, very balanced.

This is the kind of look that may not make people "WOW" at first sight but certainly grow on you quickly. At least that's how McGizmo's work on me.

I'm actually getting really bored of all the "tactical" look that we see all over the place :green: I'm sick of sharp, agressive, over-this, over-that flashlights...

brucec

Enlightened
That is indeed very beautiful. I've always been a fan of the flutes over the ribs. Looking forward to the wave.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh ... and put me down for those Haiku 2x123 buck thingies, too :D

X2 on everything!

I''m glad you finally let this cat out of the bag, Don.

It's been 5½ years since you sold me my first McGizmo, a custom green swirl Aleph 3 2x123...what's that, about 3 generations of LEDs? I still love the output of the Aleph 3/McR-38/LuxIII, but the idea of being able to really reach out with a newer LED, plus having good flood, is like finally finding that missing puzzle piece.

Thank you for waiting until the time was right and for bringing the wait almost to an end. Your ability to find good design compromises while not producing something before its time is one of the biggest reasons I enjoy your lights.

I really can't think of a better light to be #15 in my McGizmo collection.

:popcorn:

scout24

Flashaholic
I keep going back to look at the pictures in the original post... :) I can't wait to get one in hand! My only McGizmo frame of reference for throw is my PD-S27, but this looks like more of a good thing.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please, please make enough of these in the 2 x 123 configuration that I don't have to wait next to my computer to snag one!!! I am all for the 1250 ma plan on high as well!

This light is plain magnificent; I always loved the HD45 but wanted it with an upgraded emitter and the 3 speed is awesome!