Top 3 Single Cell AA lights

moozooh

Enlightened
Re: Brightest single AA battery flash light available?

ZebraLight SC52 is due for release later this month with 280 out-the-front lumens on an 1.5 v AA and up to 500 lm if you use a 14500 Li-ion. As far as I'm aware, it's the brightest to date; not many 2×AA lights approach its level.

pobox1475

Enlightened
My JetBeam JET-1 Pro with it's smooth reflector and 240 rated lm blasts out a nice beam for a long way using a single 14500.

Last edited:

A96Honda

Newly Enlightened
This thread is perfect. I'm looking for a new gift for my grandpa. I bought him a ..... I'm pretty sure it was an EagleTac. Or maybe it was a Fenix, a few years ago. Don't remember now actually. Anyways, it was a single AA flashlight. I found out a while back, it not longer works like before. I guess the constant twisting on the head of off/on finally wore off the contacts I guess? Or the adjustments or whatever. Like I said, I dont remember which one I bought him.

Anyways, he told me it was super bright and used it every day at work. Leaves it there so he always has access to it. Liked it a lot. I wish I could remember which model it was, so I can compare lumens.

So with Christmas coming up, I figure it's a perfect time to buy him a replacement. Since he's old, I figure sticking with standard AA would be the best option. I've been toying with the idea of starting him off with 18650, but I dont know yet.

Anyways, The Zebralight SC52 sounds fantastic. But until it's actually released with independent tests, it's just vaporware to me. But I still have plenty of time until Christmas arrives.

Going over this thread, the Jetbeam PA10 looks pretty cool. But it's only 140 lumens with AA. The BA10 version is rated for 160 lumens, which seems to be better. But doesn't come with the cool packaging... lol

I also think the Zebralight SC51 would be a good candidate. I also like the EagleTac D25A Clicky Ti . I assume the D25A will run on standard AA's right???

STR

Newly Enlightened
1) I give the number one spot to the El Capitan by Peak lighting. 2)EagleTac D25A Twisty gets second place. Specifically mine is the D25AM Ti with the XMLU2 and I love it. Brightest light I own too even brighter than the D25C which I also own along with several other CR123 lights, D and C cell lights and many AA and AAA lights so if you ask me and anyone that saw them together would have to agree I'd say that the D25A using a single AA is brighter than many of these others claiming much higher lumens.. Anyway, to my surprise the PA10 gets third place, as this is another great XML light and certainly one of my faves in the single AA category but I have just kind of through experience I guess started judging these lights by real world use vs the wow that is really bright I gotta have it kind of appeal. I'm finding that can be a trap. The PA10 is a great light for 20 minutes and then time for a new battery unless you can use the lower settings with standard or Nickel Metal batteries.

So my vote for the best single AA light goes to the unsung hero and perhaps a sleeper in this market as the Peak El Capitan is a very good little torch almost like a carrying a personal 40 watt bulb around from room to room with the med beam option like mine. You can turn this on and just point it straight up to the ceiling and light up the entire room this way without squinting or having to struggle and for many of the things we need a light for this light is hard to beat. Tough, durable, light weight if you get the hard anodized aluminum such as mine and best of all one moving part and total control over the brightness. Total! You can stretch a good A&W 14500 750mAh battery a lot farther with this light than any other AA light I own. Its a wonderful companion and the one I have on me most days anymore as it has grown on me. It carries about like a chap stick in the pocket. While the Eagle Tac and PA10 were bought first and I do like them I must admit that when it comes to real world applications of the light and actual use, not just wow factor to get a rise out of someone, the Peak El Capitan is the best choice.

I'll give you an example. I was recently on a quest, well hunt lets say. I have this book mark that is leather. It is very special to me. A great and dear friend made it for me and I use it a lot keeping track of it. Having just finished Mystery of the Olmecs I was puzzled because now starting my new book I can't find my book mark. My wife is about to lose it you know because I'm nuts looking for this thing anal about it as usual. I can't help it it is just how I am but I was not going to rest until I found my dang book mark before the cats did. I could just see the other end getting chewed off now after already having suffered this fate once before so it was a real quest. I ran down my Eneloop battery on the EagleTac, grabbed the JB real quick rather than charge and started looking and soon it was fluttering. I give up that day. Charge the batteries and think the next morn where could the dang thing be you know so I start looking again. This time the El Capitan only a 3.7 V is in it and I'm looking and looking and looking and soon several hours have gone by and I'm still on the same light. Not as bright but thats the thing. I can control it to get me just what I need not overwhelming light that gives me a headache like the PA10 which is one setting with the same battery. Not like the EagleTac that is also one setting with the rechargable 3.7v but simply controlled good lighting and I found my book mark fallen down by the side of my bed and it had fallen into one of my boots under the bed. I guess when I fell asleep it went down in there one night but anyway, I vote the El Capitan by Peak as the overall best AA light I've owned.

bmel17

Newly Enlightened
-EagleTac D25A Mini Twisty. A wonderful light for the price (under $37 shipped from my preferred vendor). These lights are also very small, but not quite as small as the H502. Comes in neutral or cool white, and has a long 10 year warranty. SS bezel is a nice touch.

Which vendor? I haven't seen these that cheap and I've been wanting to pick one up. Thanks in advance!

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
I wouldn't hold out for an answer for upstanding citizen, this is an old thread and he hasnt been active since December...

As for the best AA light, I don't much care for AA lights except for ultra compact /keychain lights, if I wanted to carry something bigger I get one of my cr123 lights. I own both a G2 and a Nichia 219 version (well the pink G2 version is my wife's) L3 illumination L10, I keep an 14500 in my wife's and a eneloop in mine.
The 14500 makes her medium as bright as my high (of course the G2 is brighter than the 219 to begin with)

I choose to not use a li-ion in mine because I also EDC a 1xCR123 light as well, if I need raw lumen power I use that. With the small size of the L10 it tends to get HOT on high with the 14500, my wife doesn't have a problem because medium (rated at 30lm w/ a 1.2/1.5v AA) is plenty of light for her needs.

I love these little L10's, the ONLY complaint I have is the 5 second reset time, obviously I have the 2 and I plan to give them to several people this year as birthdays come up. Both of ours are 3 mode, as will any I give as gifts but if you want there is a 4 mode which adds a .4lm "firefly" mode. Being a twist UI I don't like the extra mode adding more time to get to high.

BarryG

Enlightened
Lighthound, lightjunction and goinggear all have them for $39.90 before discount.
Watch the WTS over in the marketplace and you may find one even cheaper...

Barry

dusty99

Newly Enlightened
It's probably worth keeping this thread alive since the 1xAA choices seem to change regularly. Mine:

1. EagleTac D25A (either clicky or twisty - I like both UIs). The quality of these little ETs is head and shulders above many of the 1XAAs I've owned (Thrunite T10, Maratc, Nitecore, etc.)
2. L3 L10 w/Nichia 219. So much good tint in such a small package.
3. IF you don't need a super compact light, then the Xeno E03 has power, throw, good build quality and a good mode selection (many of the ones that would annoy if they were part of the main mode selection are hidden).

The SC52 probably belongs on the list, but I'm waiting for the NW version, and have no personal experience with it.

bmel17

Newly Enlightened
they do have them for 39, but I was looking at the newer d25a clicky with the XM-L2 U2. Thanks for the help though guys! I'll check out the WTS too

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I'm going to weigh in with one of my favorites, the MiNi AA, which with its compact size, three well balanced levels and one of the best beam patterns ever topped off with a very high output on 14500.

Zebralight's SC-series are incredible lights as well and the only ways to choose between these two for me is 1) Clicky or twisty, 2) How low do you need to go, and 3) Do you need to swap emitters or not.

My Eagletac unfortunately is so unreliable that I can't put it in the listing, even though it deserves to be here if it would light every time.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maratac Cu AA upgraded by Vinh with an XP-G2 4000K - very L > H UI and I like the way the whole light heats up when when using a 14500 Li-ion on high. I like copper lights. The mod is a big improvement over the stock.
L3 Illuminiation L10 Nichia 219 and XP-G2 - runs great on a 14500 Li-ion or Eneloop. Very good value. The orange finish is fine, but the white finish is chipping.
Zebralight H502D - got this on a whim and I like it more than I expected. Only runs on an Eneloop. Mule so it is very floody and the hi CRI is nice. The electronic switch and UI aren't as complicated as I feared - I read one Zebralight review and they spent a couple of paragraphs explaining that the UI isn't complicated. That scared me, but it isn't that bad. Quick click = H. Slow click = L. Click and hold to cycle through the 3 modes. When you are in a mode, double click to get the alternative. And this AA light is tiny - shorter than some AAA lights.
Xeno E03 with Nichia 219 - need to run it on an Eneloop to get all the modes. Just got it and haven't used it very much. It is bigger than the others and I'm not crazy about the reverse clicky. Build quality seems good and good value with the Nichia 219.

jorgen

Enlightened
My top 3 would be:
Peak El Capitan w/QTC
Nitecore D10 Tribute
Zebralight SC51

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a favorite category for me...single AA lights that run on a 14500. At present, my favorite is the Eagtac D25A clicky with XP-G R4 neutral/warmish emitter. It has a great, strong, very deep pocket clip on it as well, which is wonderful. Shown on the right, below.

While the SWM V11R (center in the pic) with extension for AA cells (not shown) is an exceptionally well made light, I find it bulkier than I would prefer and also find the infinite output ring not as much to my liking as I had imagined. I think three or four well spaced output levels, quickly available through clicking is more useful than the capability of precisely dialing up and down with the ring.

The emitter in my D25A clicky XP-G R4 is billed as being "neutral", but my copy has a very noticeable warm tint to it, which I really like, a LOT. No idea what the tint bin is. Anyone here know?

For comparison of size, Surefire 3P (Fivemega 3P body), Sunwayman V11R, and EagTac D25A clicky:

Z6150328.jpg

I am eager to obtain a D25A mini, to go with the D25A clicky. I think that little thing would be an awesome light and so easy to carry without even knowing it's there.

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi gang! Looks like it's about that time to update or get my lumen fix :)

What are the brightest super-lights using a single AA battery right now. Is the T6 emitter the top photon torpedo blaster or something else?

What do you think are the top 3 candidates for the following;

Who's got the brightest and smoothest white beam with;

1. Single battery AA
2. Can use both primary or L-ion [edit]
3. At least two levels of output
4. Factory or custom ok
5. Regulated

List your top three
Comments why or specs optional

Thanks for playing... again! :)

gsr

Enlightened
Speaking from only my experience, my top three 1 x AA lights:

1. Malkoff MDC - it is everything you've said you are looking for, plus strobe, one the best beams in the business, fantastic build quality, some nice color choices (not every flashlight needs to be black), and it is even a decent price, all things concidered. It will even tail stand on a solid, level surface.

2. Fenix LD12 - a versitile light, with many modes and available accessories. Unfortunately, it will not tail stand.

3. 4 Sevens Quark AA - I remember it being a good light, but it grew legs.

4. Maratac AA rev 2 - I make this suggestion based solely upon my positive impresion of the AAA version.