• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

TorchLAB V4 Triple LED drop ins - Full Boost, Thermal, and Voltage Regulation

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a full complement of beamshots. The H3 Nichia is in the bottom left corner.

Is it just me or does the xpe r3 (outdoor) have a REALLY nice tint and color rendition. Dare I say, nicer than the Nichia 219??? :eek:

Either way, I'll be at my comp ready to pick up a nichia lmh when it becomes available.

arcane

Newly Enlightened

With a single lithium cell, It will run at approximately 75% output (800+ lumens) in this configuration.
These are not regulated on 1 cell
A single AW 18650 3100mAh cell will provide about 90 minutes of runtime
Is that ~90 mins on HIGH w/ single 18650 3100mAh cell?

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
More Nichia high CRI triples in both LMH and HML in stock now guys.

We will have more runtime data and other results from the lab soon for you all.

Thanks for your support.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The H3N Triple Nichia 219 runs for about 70 minutes on an AW 3100 cell before the voltage of the cell triggers the Battery Stretch Function where the light changes to 10% output.
We will have more data on the remaining runtime on 10% and Medium, and Low soon.
I will get the data into some nice graphs for you to see.

We will have these available in Moddoolar Heads soon for you guys.
Just need to have some laser work completed.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Has anyone had a chance to try these? I received a V4 XP-E neutral yesterday, and have tried running it for 15 minutes in a bored 9p with 2 x AW 17500's to see if the thermal regulation would kick in. It didn't, but the light never got too hot to touch. The whole body of the light was very warm though. I did notice that the light wouldn't go into low mode when it was hot.

I know it's like asking how long is a piece of string, but how long would you normally run these before the thermal regulation kicks in? I'm in a room with an ambient tempreature of 20C.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Tried mine yesterday (219 version). Got pretty hot and did not notice thermal regulation either.

I'm thinking that it just isn't getting hot enough. The surface of the light might get really hot, but it may be because heat is getting sinked out of the drop in away from the 1334 board. The battery stretch function certainly worked. I used the light for a while in my C2 with 2 x AW IMR18350's, and noticed it went from high into a low mode. Sure enough, I put the 18350's on my ZTS tester, and they were at 10%.

Did you notice and very slight "pulse" in output on your light about every 3 seconds?

flashfiend

Enlightened
I'm thinking that it just isn't getting hot enough. The surface of the light might get really hot, but it may be because heat is getting sinked out of the drop in away from the 1334 board. The battery stretch function certainly worked. I used the light for a while in my C2 with 2 x AW IMR18350's, and noticed it went from high into a low mode. Sure enough, I put the 18350's on my ZTS tester, and they were at 10%.

Did you notice and very slight "pulse" in output on your light about every 3 seconds?

I didn't notice any pulse, but this was only with it being left on high for 5min.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom, Dan,

Concerning throw what is correct:

1. XPE > XPG > 219

This is correct.
The 219 has a very similar beam width compared to the XPG, but the XPG is brighter, and therefore will have more throw.

Has anyone had a chance to try these? I received a V4 XP-E neutral yesterday, and have tried running it for 15 minutes in a bored 9p with 2 x AW 17500's to see if the thermal regulation would kick in. It didn't, but the light never got too hot to touch. The whole body of the light was very warm though. I did notice that the light wouldn't go into low mode when it was hot.

I know it's like asking how long is a piece of string, but how long would you normally run these before the thermal regulation kicks in? I'm in a room with an ambient tempreature of 20C.

Tried mine yesterday (219 version). Got pretty hot and did not notice thermal regulation either.

Gentleman,

Because of the excellent thermal performance of these Drop-ins, most hosts will not allow the light engine to get hot enough to trigger the temp protection.
Certainly not while in real world use such as holding light in your hand, walking around and pointing it at things.
Your light head temp is within a few degrees of the electronics inside.
The thermal protection helps to keep the lithium cells in a safe operating temperature range.
65C (149F) is quite hot to touch with the hand.
We feel that this temp is a good balance of safety, and performance.

We do not recommend running any high powered light unattended in a static state.

light wouldn't go into low mode when it was hot.

I can replicate this behavior somewhat.

if I try to cycle the modes very quickly when the light is very hot, I do seem to lose low mode.
It will cycle through M,H,M,H,M,H

If I simply wait 1 second between modes, low mode is back and I can cycle through 3 modes fine.

It just takes a slightly longer pause between modes for it to function correctly when very hot.
I suspect that the electronics simply perform slightly different at this high temp.

Cheers Fellas!

FPSRelic

Enlightened

I can replicate this behavior somewhat.
if I try to cycle the modes very quickly when the light is very hot, I do seem to lose low mode.
It will cycle through M,H,M,H,M,H

If I simply wait 1 second between modes, low mode is back and I can cycle through 3 modes fine.

It just takes a slightly longer pause between modes for it to function correctly when very hot.
I suspect that the electronics simply perform slightly different at this high temp.

Cheers Fellas!

Yes! This is the behavior I get. Here is something else that I get that is kinda freakin' sweet! There is a little Red LED that is mounted just next to one of the main LED's. I can see it come on when the light is on low mode if I look at it from the side. It seems to pulse on and off slowly. I never noticed this in my V3 version. According to the manual for 1334 boards, it means that the battery is fully discharged. This is intersting, as the 18650 battery I'm using at the moment is fully charged.

Bear with me Moddoo, I'm certainly not dissing your lights. This new version is more of a learning experince for me than I expected. I still see these as being the Malkoff's of the triple emitter dropin world ;)

Filip

Newly Enlightened
According to Moddoo's first post the function of the red led is different: "High-temperature warning is introduced in the stand-by mode (fast red-indicator blinking during which it's not recommended to touch the flashlight head)."

There is a little Red LED that is mounted just next to one of the main LED's. I can see it come on when the light is on low mode if I look at it from the side. It seems to pulse on and off slowly. I never noticed this in my V3 version. According to the manual for 1334 boards, it means that the battery is fully discharged. This is intersting, as the 18650 battery I'm using at the moment is fully charged.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
According to Moddoo's first post the function of the red led is different: "High-temperature warning is introduced in the stand-by mode (fast red-indicator blinking during which it's not recommended to touch the flashlight head)."

That is also mentioned in the manual. Fast bright flashing, hot bezel. Slow dim blinking, low power and unable to operate the light. Which is interesting, as the only time I see the slow blinking is when the light is operating.

flashfiend

Enlightened
That is also mentioned in the manual. Fast bright flashing, hot bezel. Slow dim blinking, low power and unable to operate the light. Which is interesting, as the only time I see the slow blinking is when the light is operating.

You got a manual with yours?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my 219 HML a few days back and I am very pleased. There is a very significant difference between 1-cell and 2-cell with the H3 drop-in; much more so that with the L3 HML XPG neutral. The 219 H3 pulls about 2.4A (tailcap reading) on both 18650 single cell and 2 cells, so 2-cells is nearly double the power.

Really nice work on these drop-ins. I am continually impressed with the performance and improvements between versions. Well worth the money for a truly quality product.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
I received my 219 HML a few days back and I am very pleased. There is a very significant difference between 1-cell and 2-cell with the H3 drop-in; much more so that with the L3 HML XPG neutral. The 219 H3 pulls about 2.4A (tailcap reading) on both 18650 single cell and 2 cells, so 2-cells is nearly double the power.

Really nice work on these drop-ins. I am continually impressed with the performance and improvements between versions. Well worth the money for a truly quality product.

Do you notice the little red led on the board blinking on low mode?

Latest posts