Toxic Tapwater

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, did you know...

Arsenic is extremely dangerous to your health!

But you need minute amounts of it for your body to successfully replicate hair and fingernail cells.

ANYTHING in excess will kill you. You just have to be aware of what you are doing, and take precautions. Also, per your comment about the internet, and being able to determine fact from falsehood... Many things on the internet sound reasonable enough that it takes an inordinate amount of time researching the truth about anything, to determine the truth.

Truth is, I found out that I'm actually half chinese by name. Found it out on the internet. But most of my family is from Germany, and Ireland, with a mix of English. You can argue till you're blue in the face, but you will never tell me I'm Chinese.

Arm yourself with the facts. Don't just read them, learn to comprehend them, and be able to see it from multiple points of view.

And Alaric... "Purity of Spirit" to you too...

My dad always tells me, you can believe about 1/2 of what you see, and none of what you hear. And when it comes to the internet, it's all Bullsh*t. At least till you back track to the source, and someones done a thesis on it.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
The truth about fluoride and all the crap in vaccines will for whatever reason always will be covered up.
While I understand the desire by vaccine makers to foist their product on the general public, what is the economic motivation for putting fluoride in drinking water? It costs municipalities money to do so, and selling sodium fluoride to municipalities isn't exactly a Fortune 500 business.

All that being said, I might tend to think topical application of fluoride on teeth makes more sense than infusing our bodies with it via drinking water. Maybe that's a good enough reason to stop the practice. This is something I'm honestly on the fence about, without a strong opinion either way. Yes, it has been shown to be markedly beneficial. And yes, there are some side effects but these are mostly minor in most of the population (and we should focus our limited resources on removing many of the much more demonstrably very harmful pollutants, like auto exhaust, from our environments, rather than getting bent out of shape worrying about fluoride).

I'd personally like to hear more from both sides. At least with fluoride, there are already steps one can take to remove it from your drinking water. I personally think high fructose corn syrup is something we should worry about a lot more. The stuff is in literally everything. I have a feeling it's going to be the next transfat (i.e. banned from foods due to its harmful effects).

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez:

My Florida tap water is so yellow , I won't drink it anyway .

It's been reported that some bottled (spring) water is really just local tap water .

And yes , the general public does not appear very smart .

You can't fix stupid

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just believe that if fluoride was so bad for people then it would still be dumped into our water. Unless it's a scheme for big companies to cheaply get rid of their "waste".

When I googled I found evidence supporting both sides.

My town was the first in TN to put fluoride in it's drinking water just as a little fact.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to wonder why all these conspiracy theory threads are coming out of the wood work now. This and "toxic" vaccines. Oh, and the general public is pretty stupid.

Just look at how bad Katrina was. If the general public wasn't stupid, don't you think the general public would have vacated NOLA by any means possible, instead of staying and waiting for FEMA to crowd them into the Superdome. Then the smart General Public had the audacity to complain about the fact that they were, in fact, idiots, and say that there situation was someone elses fault.

But it's true, you can't fix stupid. Just look at the public education system.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to wonder why all these conspiracy theory threads are coming out of the wood work now. This and "toxic" vaccines. Oh, and the general public is pretty stupid.

Just look at how bad Katrina was. If the general public wasn't stupid, don't you think the general public would have vacated NOLA by any means possible, instead of staying and waiting for FEMA to crowd them into the Superdome. Then the smart General Public had the audacity to complain about the fact that they were, in fact, idiots, and say that there situation was someone elses fault.

But it's true, you can't fix stupid. Just look at the public education system.

I learned quite a bit in school.

The biggest problem with New Orleans and Katrina is that it wasn't the first city to be devastated by failed levies.

One of the first all Aftican-American settlements on the Easy Coast was utterly destroyed when the levies broke in a hurricane some years ago. I forgot the name and time.

I'm drinking tap water now. I ran out of Coke.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Use the force

db_vader.jpg

Marduke

Flashaholic
:rolleyes: Just because you cannot determine fact from fiction does not mean nobody else can. The general public is not as stupid as you think.

Actually I think the general public is every bit as stupid as they appear, and I am sometimes terrified by just how much so.

As for being able to determine fact from fiction, you might not want to point fingers... :poke:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Actually I think the general public is every bit as stupid as they appear, and I am sometimes terrified by just how much so.
That makes two of us. And my opinion is based on quite a bit on contact with the general public through some of the jobs I had. It honestly amazes me how some of these people manage to get through the day without killing themselves.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know more about the flouride issue than most of you would care to hear. I'm with Lightwalker on this. I won't waste my time arguing it as I don't have the time now nor would I likely convince anyone who is not willing to do some real research themselves. I'll just say the flouride issue goes quite deep.

You can see the effect of drinking flouride has had on some people by reading some of the replies in this thread. They can't comprehend facts put in front of them.

DM51

Flashaholic
You can see the effect of drinking flouride has had on some people by reading some of the replies in this thread. They can't comprehend facts put in front of them.
Don't you mean fluoride, with the "u" before the "o"? Is that affecting your comprehension?

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been drinking fluoridated tapwater for about 40 years now.

And yes, it does indeed have one unfortunate side-effect.

It has turned me into a flashoholic.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Dihydrogen monoxide to me this is the one we should really be fearful of.
Welcome to the web site for the Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division (DMRD), currently located in Newark, Delaware. The controversy surrounding dihydrogen monoxide has never been more widely debated, and the goal of this site is to provide an unbiased data clearinghouse and a forum for public discussion.

Explore our many Special Reports, including the DHMO FAQ, a definitive primer on the subject, plus reports on the environment, cancer, current research, and an insider exposé about the use of DHMO in the dairy industry.

The success of this site depends on you, the citizen concerned about Dihydrogen Monoxide.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Dihydrogen monoxide to me this is the one we should really be fearful of.
Welcome to the web site for the Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division (DMRD), currently located in Newark, Delaware. The controversy surrounding dihydrogen monoxide has never been more widely debated, and the goal of this site is to provide an unbiased data clearinghouse and a forum for public discussion.

Explore our many Special Reports, including the DHMO FAQ, a definitive primer on the subject, plus reports on the environment, cancer, current research, and an insider exposé about the use of DHMO in the dairy industry.

The success of this site depends on you, the citizen concerned about Dihydrogen Monoxide.

It is sad to hear of dihydrogen monoxide poisoning cases nearly every year. I recall a recent case in which a radio talk show held a contest to see which of the contestants could consume the most dihydrogen monoxide and the girl that won later died as a result. Public education in this matter is the most important preventative measure. It is scary to think that we are in constant contact with this oderless and tasteless killer.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no such thing as an all good or an all bad chemical. It all depends on it's intended purpose, the dose, and when, where, and how it's applied.

I work in a water plant and am familiar with the chemicals used, the risks of the chemical in both it's industrial concentrations and as used for water treatment, and the benefits that are gained from it's use. Let me give you a couple examples.

The debate over DMHO is one of my favorites, and I'll leave that to some of the earlier links provided.

Fluoride: we did add this for a while. The full strength chemical came in the form of Hydrofluorosylic Acid (HFSA) that was some seriously nasty stuff. It would eat through just about anything except plastic and rubber. We added it for dental health in miniscule amounts. It took us years to empty a 5000 gallon tank and we discontinued it's use when we finally ran out. It was expensive, dangerous in it's pure form, and we really didn't need it to get the benefits of fluoride. The reason was that the naturally occuring fluoride in our source (lake) water was almost at the level considered optimal for dental health. Too little fluoride makes teeth softer, just the right amount strengthens teeth, and too much turns your teeth brown. That's why topical application directly to the teeth might cause problems, too hard to control dose. Use in drinking water is perfect because it uses such small amounts that the bodies natural processes use the very small amounts over long time frames to get the benefit. A water company would have to screw up the dose for a long time to start turning peoples teeth ugly. But even then, that doesn't pose an actual health hazard.

Let me feed the chemical company consiracies a little bit here with a very rough explanation of a couple chemicals they make. They can take what is basically salt water and process it to produce two chemicals that they then sell to us water companies to use. Those chemicals are sodium hydroxide (AKA caustic) and chlorine gas. And strangely enough, once we add them into the water, the tend to combine back together and form salt water once again. It may seem like a waste since we are right back where we started, but it's necessary to get the chemicals to perform certain purposes in the water treatment process.

Caustic: just like the name says, this is a very corrosive chemical even for the half or quarter strength solutions we buy the bulk chemicals at. It's not nearly as bad as HFSA but even a drop on th skin will start to burn in just a minute or so. And it's sneaky because it just feels slick like soap at first, but as it starts to eat into the skin, the pain starts. And it's hard to wash off enough to stop the damage once it starts. It's used to adjust the pH of the water. If we don't send the water to your home with the correct pH, it can have several bad effects. Just a little off will tend to leach copper out of pipes and lead out of old solder joints used to assemble the pipe. New solder is lead free for that reason. If the pH is too low, as the natural waters in our area tend to be, it will tend to corrode the pipes from the inside out. Ideally, the pH is just right and forms a tiny protective layer on the inside of the pipes to minimize corrosion so they last a long time. If the pH is too high, the protective layer will grow too much and form scale that will clog the lines instead.

Chlorine: in it's pure form it is a corrosive gas once used for chemical warfare in WWI. If inhaled, the gas mixes with the moisture in the lungs to form acid which damages them. But this chemical is probably the single greatest boon to potable water safety ever devised. It is the main disinfectant used and is one of the most effective killers of water borne pathogens. The illnesses it prevents are too numerous to go into detail, but it's the reason things like cholera are virtually unknown in most advanced countries. It takes reletively little amounts to effectively disinfect water. Even 100 times the normal dose has no short term health effects. But there are some byproducts of the disinfection process that have become more of a long term concern as science has advanced. And even though even those risks are minimal, most companies no longer use straight gas for disinfection. By combining the chlorine with other chemicals first, we can minimize those byproducts. The drawback is that the disinfection is weaker. So it's a balancing act to make sure to eliminate the short term risk of pathogens without adding too much long term risk from the disinfection byproducts. And all these alternatives add cost since chlorine gas is the cheapest.

Ferric Chloride: this is another moderately corrosive chemical even at the 40% strength we buy the chemical at. It'll eat through some metals in nothing flat. I once accidentally used a plated brass fitting because it appeared to be stainless steel at first glance. In under 5 minutes, it was leaking because the metal just dissolved. And although the chemical has some heath risks, the most immediate problem with exposure is staining your skin. It's not too bad to work with. However, this chemical is what gets the dirt and most other things out of that cloudy lake water and does a big part of the job of turning it into clean, clear, drinking water.

Polymers: if that makes you think plastic, you're somewhat correct. These chemicals are usually fairly harmless health wise but can be messy. Several years ago, a small spill of just an ounce or two turned a 10x10 ft area of concrete into an ice skating ring on one rainy night. That stuff was literally asslick as snot, and it looked like it too. The only way to clean it up was to let it dry and form a "plastic" film that could then be chipped off the concrete. These chemicals help get the really little stuff out of the water because they are really long, sticky molecules that link the little stuff together to make it big enough to be removed by other processes and chemicals.

As you can see, many chemicals can be pretty nasty in an industrial setting. But those of us who work with them are aware of the hazards and take appropriate protective action and wear the right Personal Protective Equipment. But without them, at least as far as water is concerned, they actually serve to improve your health. Used in the proper amounts in the proper way, they turn nasty, sometimes muddy lake water loaded with harmful pathogens into clear, clean, disease free drinking water. Without these chemicals, we would be living the way they did as few as 100 years ago and dealing with routine outbreaks of waterborne diseases. Assuming you could even bring yourself to drink what they considered drinkable water back then. Even now, in areas of the world where such chemical treatment is not available, high quality drinking water is in short supply.

As I read back over this, I see it's probably too complicated in some ways and oversimplified in other ways. But hopefully, it shows how "dangerous" chemicals can be used to good purpose in producing something that we all need to live.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't you mean fluoride, with the "u" before the "o"? Is that affecting your comprehension?

I think he just copied my typo's or less than perfect spelling. Fixed mine. It's an easy one to misspell. The studies and statistics are out there. People don't want fluoridation forced on them. Google in quotes 'fluoride dangers' so you won't get extra hits - this only produces a little over 1.5 Million hits. :whistle:

Or just stay with the blue pill....

Status
Not open for further replies.