Toy recall, again: More serious than lead.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
typical Americans would choose to buy stuff from $1 stores and Wally aside from the more expensive [but reasonably priced] stuff from other stores....

Hate to say it, but there's more than a few Americans who live so far below the poverty line that if it wasn't for Wal-Mart; they could not afford many of the goods they have. For them, what you and I would consider "reasonably priced," better quality goods; is not reasonably priced. It's beyond their means.

Still, I understand the point you're making with regards to those who can afford better quality goods, but choose to cheap out.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, I'm not a mod but I care about the community, I trust you guys can have a civilized discussion without this degenerating into bashing?

Also spare a thought for some people who may interpret your comments as offensive. Last I checked, this wasn't a US-only forum, there are other members of the international community here. Thanks guys :)

Yes, these toys present a serious health hazard but there are other deeper factors at work and it's not a simple case of 'just because it's not made in my back yard'. I don't think they INTENDED to coat it in GBH, but rather, it was a chemical substitution (a cheaper material) in a 'slipstream' change with horrible, unintended consequences because nobody checked as to how it would react in the human body.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Monocrom, thank you for bring this to my attention....
I am at fault for projecting the concept without being considerate to those who may be underprivileged or poor. :ohgeez:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The toy was invented in Austraila. I imagine there is a patent for it. Spray with water and it sticks together, sort of thing.

It may not be the fault of the Chinese.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Hate to say it, but there's more than a few Americans who live so far below the poverty line that if it wasn't for Wal-Mart; they could not afford many of the goods they have. For them, what you and I would consider "reasonably priced," better quality goods; is not reasonably priced. It's beyond their means.
Yes. This is doubly true with the pricing of necessities like housing and food taking up an ever larger share of a typical salary.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Basically, he says that the kids who supposedly got brain damage from eating lead paint were probably already stupid just by virtue of eating paint to begin with.

It's a condition called "Pica", a child will compulsivly eat nearly anything. Not all children exhibit this, but lead paint chips would be a problem for those who did. Most lead paint ingestion is actually due to inhaling the dust created when the paint falls off and crumbles. Replacing lead painted windowsills is very effective because of this. Basic rundown of Pica: http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/behavior/pica.html

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
From (I think) a UK toy site--where Bindeez--AKA Aqua Dots--are sold:

Is there any danger to my child if Bindeez beads are used as instructed?
Used as instructed Bindeez are safe.

Some batches of the beads in the product shipped do not match the laboratory tested and approved formula. As a result, whilst not intended to be eaten, if ingested in large quantities they may cause illness.

All Bindeez products are labelled 4 years and we strongly advise the product is not given to any children under that age.

...snip...

How will the replacement beads differ from the existing beads?

As well as conforming to the original approved formula, the new beads will have an additional safety feature. They will be covered with Bitrex which is a safe solution which on contact with the mouth leaves an extremely bitter taste that is designed to dissuade children from placing the product in their mouth. (This is very similar to the product used to discourage nail biting).
So, at least one site, is apparently claiming that the vendor(s) were not making the coating to the original (and safe?) specifications...

-Bill

FurrBear

Newly Enlightened
Frankly, I'm a little sick of the hysteria about GHB in general; calling it a "date rape drug" is so overblown it's almost funny.

When synthesized by bathtub chemists, it's usually in the sodium or potassium salt form which - what a shock - is extremely salty tasting. In other forms, it has a significant solvent/chemical smell/odor. In no case is it something one could "slip" into a drink in an effective dose and have it go unnoticed... unlike Rohypnol, the first substance I recall being branded as a "date rape drug."

Certainly, GHB can be dangerous - so can alcohol. (And as with any sedative or hypnotic, combining it with alcohol is even more dangerous.) It is also, however, a fairly common, simple molecule; all of you reading this have *gasp* GHB in your bodies, and it's present in small amounts in quite a number of different foods. There are a number of related chemicals that can convert into GHB under the right conditions.

Should a substance that can become GHB been used in a toy for children? Certainly not. Is this "worse" than lead poisoning? It's hard to say - lead toxicity can have serious long term effects on mental and physical development. This stuff may have produced a few severe - even lethal - reactions in children that got a heavy dose, but most of the kids exposed to it are unlikely to have long term effects.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
From NYT (just posted):

The toxic glue ingredient used by the Shenzhen factory reportedly costs less than one-third what the ingredient that was supposed to be on the beads costs. Moose Enterprise said in a statement last week that it had not been notified when its supplier changed ingredients.

The Chinese quality agency said the Shenzhen factory started producing the beads after trial products provided to Moose Enterprise met with no objections. But the agency did not make clear whether the factory provided trial samples using the toxic material, or whether the factory alerted Moose to the presence of the material. Michael Horkings, a Moose spokesman, said the company's position was that a toxic ingredient was used without its permission.
-Bill

Gaffle

Enlightened
It is tough having a kid these days. What the hell is my daughter supposed to play with?

Think about this : So here we are buying this contaminated stuff from China (just an example), what is happening to the Chinese civilians with these chemicals running around? I don't know the process that results in lead content, but I assume since there is a lot of lead in our products there must be DOUBLE that lead leaking out of the factories. It must go out somehow, garbage or water/sewers.

I read the book Collapse awhile ago. The author was very scared of China. He has two scenarios

A. China kills its land, has massive deforestation, and then runs wild around the world to grab the resources they need, thereby destroying South American (example) by deforestation, etc.

B. China starts to get a grip with the pollution and deforestation and finally starts some proactive measures to support their civilization.

I tell you this, the problem will have to get much worse for the American people to finally make a real stand. Like numerous hospitalizations or death. Kinda sad that it takes so much to get our society moving these days. Like we have been "hardened".

Read at your own risk : After we saw this on the news my wife posed this question, how many people went out and tried to purchase this item after they found out what it does? I bet more than a few....:sick2:

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just amazing what can come into some countries.
There are measures in place to keep terrorism out and yet there are other harmful things that still slip in.

Out of over 8 billion people here in this world, it's no big surprise that there are plenty of unsafe fools around doing unsafe commerce.

What a mess. :shakehead

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just amazing what can come into some countries.
There are measures in place to keep terrorism out and yet there are other harmful things that still slip in.

Out of over 8 billion people here in this world, it's no big surprise that there are plenty of unsafe fools around doing unsafe commerce.

What a mess. :shakehead

Not quite 7bn people yet.

Latest posts