Tri-V lens cap sales thread

fyrstormer

Banned
Well there is no need for hindsight in that regard. He already has this in the design of the Tri-V. That is precisely what I am adjusting the mold to take advantage of.;)

Here's hoping it works.
Excellent, but... is mine missing the machining line in question? Or are you latching onto the grooves on the outside of the aspheric shroud instead? Now you've gone and made me curious.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a short update to let everyone know that the revised caps were dispatched to fasteddie and Dave for testing the other day. Should get some feedback soon.

fasteddie

Enlightened
Glad I checked in today. I'll be on the lookout for the package. Thanks for all your hard work on this project.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Michael,

The lens caps you sent me are perfect! Thanks for all your hard work. I am just amazed at how exact the rubber parts came out. You are the MoldMaster!!

cnjl3, they do not look any different on the outside at all.

I put one on my light two days ago and it has not come off in my pocket yet.

Cheers
Dave

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Michael,

The lens caps you sent me are perfect! Thanks for all your hard work. I am just amazed at how exact the rubber parts came out. You are the MoldMaster!!

Cheers
Dave

I should have included a note in there for you. I sent several different ones to you so you could see the different colors and such but only one has the newer lip. It was one of the black ones. Let me know if you think it is better that way or not. If so I will make both molds that way. BTW what do you think of the tiger striped one? I was just having fun seeing what was possible. Glad you like them.:thumbsup:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have included a note in there for you. I sent several different ones to you so you could see the different colors and such but only one has the newer lip. It was one of the black ones. Let me know if you think it is better that way or not. If so I will make both molds that way. BTW what do you think of the tiger striped one? I was just having fun seeing what was possible. Glad you like them.:thumbsup:

The tiger stripe one is very cool.

I gave the only black one to London Lad as he was just at my place for a visit. I did not know it was different than the others.

Cheers
Dave

easilyled

Flashaholic
:huh: Are you serious? So I need to make a new one then I guess. I just can't win. I'll get right on it.

No I like the idea of a UK visit from data. I'll treat him to to lunch (mega pizza at an Italian) and dinner and a ride on the London Eye.

data, please bring an XPG-S2 with you and a soldering station. My original SPY007 awaits. :devil:

Last edited:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
==================================================
========================
This post is from the HTML recovered from Google Cashed Data. It represents the information from the original posts made by various CPF members to this thread. Rebuilding this thread was necessary because the original posts were lost in the "Great CPF Server Crash of 2011".
========================

Re: Tri-V
lens cap sales thread

Written by Data on 11-02-2010 09:09 AM GMT

easilyled said:
No I like the idea of a UK visit from data. I'll treat him to to lunch (mega pizza at an Italian) and dinner and a ride on the London Eye.

data, please bring an XPG-S2 with you and a soldering station. My original SPY007 awaits. :devil:

Oh I will take you up on that some day for sure. :party:

saabluster, unfortunately, I am serious. LOL. I did give it to LL.

Cheers
Dave

lens cap sales thread

Written by cnjl3 on 11-03-2010 10:40 AM GMT

Sounds like the initial lens cap batch works fine?
It seems like only Fasteddie will be able to compare the newest lens cap with the first batch since LondonLad only has the newest cap.
Sooooo........Fasteddie --- what is the word?

popcorn.gif

Data said:
Michael,

Cheers
Dave

lens cap sales thread

Written by London Lad on 11-03-2010 11:43 AM GMT

Hi all,

I have had the black cap, that Data kindly gave me, on my Tri-V for the last couple of days.

It fits and looks great and has stayed on fine. I can't say how it compares to the original as I have never seen one!

I'm off to the airport and back to the UK in a few minutes but I'll willingly pop the black cap in the post back to Data if needed.

lens cap sales thread

Written by saabluster on 11-03-2010 01:08 PM GMT

London Lad said:
Hi all,

I have had the black cap, that Data kindly gave me, on my Tri-V for the last couple of days.

It fits and looks great and has stayed on fine. I can't say how it compares to the original as I have never seen one!

I'm off to the airport and back to the UK in a few minutes but I'll willingly pop the black cap in the post back to Data if needed.
No no no. It's not worth that. I'm making him another one. It was my fault anyways as I should have put a note in there mentioning the fact that one was different than the others. I just think it is funny that of all the ones I sent that is the one he gave you. That's life though. Enjoy! :wave:

lens cap sales thread

Written by derangboy on 11-03-2010 02:22 PM GMT

I'm glad to hear things are coming along! I would also like to hear some more feedback on the original cap design that is being rejected. The reason is, I often keep my Tri-V in a case and I had considered tethering the cap to the case itself. In this instance, the extra grip of the new design may not be necessary. I feel some of us would be willing to pay for those caps knowing what limitations they might have.

lens cap sales thread

Written by Data on 11-04-2010 10:39 AM GMT

derangboy said:
I'm glad to hear things are coming along! I would also like to hear some more feedback on the original cap design that is being rejected. The reason is, I often keep my Tri-V in a case and I had considered tethering the cap to the case itself. In this instance, the extra grip of the new design may not be necessary. I feel some of us would be willing to pay for those caps knowing what limitations they might have.
In this use the original cap would work fine.

lens cap sales thread

Written by cnjl3 on 11-14-2010 02:13 PM GMT

Is no news good news???

popcorn.gif

lens cap sales thread

Written by fyrstormer on 11-15-2010 09:19 AM GMT

x2. How are the new caps working? Better than the originals? Good enough to justify production and distribution? I'm holding off on carrying my Tri-V until I have a way to protect the domed lenses it has.

lens cap sales thread

Written by saabluster on 11-15-2010 12:06 PM GMT

Surprised I haven't heard back from fasteddie on the one I sent him. I am sending another new style cap to Dave today.

lens cap sales thread

Written by fasteddie on 11-15-2010 12:37 PM GMT

I posted a long reply earlier today. Not sure why its not there.

I've been swamped at work and at home and dealing with some medical issues, so not able to spend time on fun stuff. I apologize for that. But I have been carrying my tri-v almost every night in my front pocket with the new cap. Observations:

I couldnt find a difference in appearance between the original and the v2 cap. I'm sure there's a difference, but my eyes arent good enough to see it. It does seem like the flood cover is stiffer on v2 than on v1.

The first few days with the new cap, it did come off in my pocket a couple times. After that, it didnt come off again. This was almost the same as my experience with v1. Maybe fewer pop offs with v2. I dont think I changed anything about the way I carried it. In ever instance, I didnt lose the cap, it was just inside my pocket. I've switched from v1 to v2 regularly to see if I could make the caps pop off. Never did come off again. I'm at a loss to try to explain why it happened this way. Could it be that the caps start out stiffer or something happens so that they seat better after a few uses?

In any case, both v1 and v2 do a good job. I didnt keep a tally, but v2 did seem to stay on better. The problem did seem to go away over time. Maybe saabluster can explain whether the cap would seat better after a number of uses.

lens cap sales thread

Written by aikiman44 on 11-15-2010 06:11 PM GMT

Looser pants? :tinfoil:

lens cap sales thread

Written by saabluster on 11-16-2010 12:28 PM GMT

The second updated cap is in route to Dave as we speak.

fasteddie said:
I posted a long reply earlier today. Not sure why its not there.

I've been swamped at work and at home and dealing with some medical issues, so not able to spend time on fun stuff. I apologize for that. But I have been carrying my tri-v almost every night in my front pocket with the new cap. Observations:

I couldnt find a difference in appearance between the original and the v2 cap. I'm sure there's a difference, but my eyes arent good enough to see it. It does seem like the flood cover is stiffer on v2 than on v1.

The first few days with the new cap, it did come off in my pocket a couple times. After that, it didnt come off again. This was almost the same as my experience with v1. Maybe fewer pop offs with v2. I dont think I changed anything about the way I carried it. In ever instance, I didnt lose the cap, it was just inside my pocket. I've switched from v1 to v2 regularly to see if I could make the caps pop off. Never did come off again. I'm at a loss to try to explain why it happened this way. Could it be that the caps start out stiffer or something happens so that they seat better after a few uses?

In any case, both v1 and v2 do a good job. I didnt keep a tally, but v2 did seem to stay on better. The problem did seem to go away over time. Maybe saabluster can explain whether the cap would seat better after a number of uses.
The difference between the two is very subtle. It is on the underside towards the middle. If you look close in profile you will see a little lip that sticks out to help catch on an undercut on the Tri-V. I really don't know why it would start grabbing better over time but it would have to be changes in the coefficient of friction I would think. It may be that there is still a slight bit of mold release on the part that wears off with use or that once dust/lint gathers on the cap from your pocket the friction between the cap and your pocket is reduced. Thanks for the feedback.

lens cap sales thread

Written by fyrstormer on 11-16-2010 01:37 PM GMT

Mold-release seems like a likely explanation. There may also be some cutting oil left on the Tri-V itself, in those areas where fingers are too small to reach in and rub it off. CRC Mass Airflow Sensor Cleaner from the auto parts store does a great job at removing every trace of oil, without damaging plastic. I use it on my lights regularly when I need to do work on them.

lens cap sales thread

Written by tanasit on 11-17-2010 08:37 PM GMT

:paypal:

Cast aluminum $13

Glow $14

Translucent Red $12

Solid Gold $13

Shipping $5 to the US

Total = $57.00

Thanks,

Tanasit

lens cap sales thread

Written by Data on 11-20-2010 03:45 PM GMT

I have had the new cap on my Tri-V for three days now and it has not come off once. I take the light out of my pocket quite often. I did see it ride up a little once but was still on there! :)

I also do not have any trouble with the old caps coming off often either.

Cheers
Dave

lens cap sales thread

Written by tanasit on 11-20-2010 08:01 PM GMT

Data said:
I have had the new cap on my Tri-V for three days now and it has not come off once. I take the light out of my pocket quite often. I did see it ride up a little once but was still on there! :)

I also do not have any trouble with the old caps coming off often either.

Cheers
Dave
I hope the cap comes off when I want to use the light... :nana:
On second thought, the translucent one better stays put.. :thumbsup:

Tanasit

lens cap sales thread

Written by aikiman44 on 11-21-2010 12:45 PM GMT

Sounds good, no guarantee needed.
So let's get 'em out! :popcorn:

lens cap sales thread

Written by cnjl3 on 11-23-2010 12:09 PM GMT

Both Fasteddie and Dave have responded.
What is your best estimate for your shipment schedule?

popcorn.gif

saabluster said:
Surprised I haven't heard back from fasteddie on the one I sent him. I am sending another new style cap to Dave today.

lens cap sales thread

Written by saabluster on 11-24-2010 01:52 PM GMT

cnjl3 said:
Both Fasteddie and Dave have responded.
What is your best estimate for your shipment schedule?

popcorn.gif
Been sick for the last couple days. Since I got a good word back I went ahead and made the second new mold and we have started producing in earnest. I haven't sat down to try and figure out an exact shipment schedule but I think we might be able to have them done in about a month.

lens cap sales thread

Written by fyrstormer on 11-24-2010 04:22 PM GMT

Cool, so we all get lense caps as Christmas presents! :D

lens cap sales thread

Written by Launch Mini on 11-24-2010 04:26 PM GMT

fyrstormer said:
Cool, so we all get lense caps as Christmas presents! :D

Not if you live in Canada :shakehead. Shipping from the US seems to take 22 days, then toss in the Christmas rush & I will be looking at January.
Hopefully I still have my Tri-V at that time.

lens cap sales thread

Written by aikiman44 on 12-09-2010 02:21 PM GMT

Anything happening with lens caps?

lens cap sales thread

Written by Launch Mini on 12-13-2010 04:54 PM GMT

I am no longer the owner of a Tri-V. Can I redirect my caps I purchased to the new owner? or wait till I get them and then reship them?

lens cap sales thread

Written by ledcarry on 12-19-2010 10:36 PM GMT

Michael,

I wanted to check in on the progress of the Tri-V Lens Cap project. I am hoping the variety of color caps are getting close to completion. Could you please give us an update on where we are at in the stages of the process and when we might be able to start seeing our orders start to ship?

Thanks again and we appreciate all the great work. Happy Holidays! :)

Jeff

lens cap sales thread

Written by saabluster on 12-22-2010 12:10 AM GMT

ledcarry said:
Michael,

I wanted to check in on the progress of the Tri-V Lens Cap project. I am hoping the variety of color caps are getting close to completion. Could you please give us an update on where we are at in the stages of the process and when we might be able to start seeing our orders start to ship?

Thanks again and we appreciate all the great work. Happy Holidays! :)

Jeff
Reports of my untimely death have been greatly exaggerated. Just been working so hard that there has been zero time to spend on the internet. Here's one reason why.

PICT0900.jpg

I'm in the midst of making a loft in my house. Not an easy project this. There is a bit of urgency in all this though that has lead to me having a laser like focus on getting work done and not spending time on the computer perusing the wonderful halls of CPF.

Meet Sofia.

PICT0902.jpg

I expect her any day now. The house is torn up with construction dust and fiberglass insulation everywhere. I really would prefer to get this done at least to the point where the insulation is all covered up. I don't want Sofia's first month to be spent breathing the stuff in.

That said we have been working on the caps. I ran out of material last week but I got more and we are moving again. Here is what is done so far.

PICT0899.jpg

The ones on the left are ones I am just giving away as freebies as they were from the first batch. They still work so you may end up with one or two extras in your shipment. Thanks for being patient with me everyone. Very much appreciated.

Launch Mini said:
I am no longer the owner of a Tri-V. Can I redirect my caps I purchased to the new owner? or wait till I get them and then reship them?
I can ship them to him if you would prefer. Just PM me the info.

lens cap sales thread

Written by X_Marine on 12-22-2010 03:34 AM GMT

Well congrats Dad. ') :party:

You really have your hands full now.
Best to you and yours.
Be safe
X/BillyD..

lens cap sales thread

Written by tanasit on 12-22-2010 06:14 AM GMT

I like the loft and it will come out great. Also your refrigerator looks just like mine. :)
Happy Holidays & congrats!

Tanasit

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
========================
This post is from the HTML recovered from Google Cashed Data. It represents the information from the original posts made by various CPF members to this thread. Rebuilding this thread was necessary because the original posts were lost in the "Great CPF Server Crash of 2011".
========================

lens cap sales thread

Written by marcar on 12-22-2010 08:23 AM GMT

Congratulations on the effort for both additions :) Payment via Paypal sent for lens covers and many thanks.

-Mike

Colors: Bright Red, Blue, Translucent Blue, Java Black.

Total with shipping $60

lens cap sales thread

Written by aikiman44 on 12-22-2010 08:25 AM GMT

Well congratulations!

lens cap sales thread

Written by ledcarry on 12-22-2010 12:23 PM GMT

Michael,

Thanks for the update and sharing the wonderful news of your new baby with us. Congratulations! You definitely have your priorities in order. The lens caps look great and I am excited to see them coming along as time permits.

All the best to you and your family. :thumbsup:

Jeff

lens cap sales thread

Written by taewoopa on 12-26-2010 05:37 AM GMT

Congrats .. and happy to hear all be set out ..

But, I'd like to know the estimated shipping date ..

Thank you for your hard time working..

lens cap sales thread

Written by aikiman44 on 01-04-2011 03:56 PM GMT

My Tri-V feels naked without a cap on. :wave:

lens cap sales thread

Written by easilyled on 01-04-2011 05:07 PM GMT

taewoopa said:

+1

Please give us an estimated date of shipping.

lens cap sales thread

Written by saabluster on 01-05-2011 12:50 AM GMT

taewoopa said:

Assuming we keep at the current pace we should be done next week and shipping will begin immediately thereafter. This is with me doing a late night run of caps before I hit the sack. I saved the hardest(titanium) for last since I was dreading having to show Mandy how to do them. Those were also the most popular strangely enough. The only thing that I foresee slowing progress is the arrival of Sofia but Mandy will continue production during the day so the potential delay would not be much.

lens cap sales thread

Written by saabluster on 01-07-2011 06:23 PM GMT

Just thought I'd update everyone on the miracle we have been enjoying since this morning. Here is Sofia.

c942b705.jpg

lens cap sales thread

Written by jslappa on 01-07-2011 08:08 PM GMT

Congratulations! She is so beautiful!

lens cap sales thread

Written by Data on 01-07-2011 08:34 PM GMT

Congratulations! Dad! :)

lens cap sales thread

Written by Launch Mini on 01-07-2011 08:36 PM GMT

Huge congratulations

lens cap sales thread

Written by taewoopa on 01-07-2011 09:06 PM GMT

Congratulations !! on being a Daddy .. :)

lens cap sales thread

Written by RIDE on 01-07-2011 09:53 PM GMT

Doesn't get any better!!!

RIDE

lens cap sales thread

Written by Incidentalist on 01-07-2011 10:10 PM GMT

Congrats!

lens cap sales thread

Written by jiuong on 01-08-2011 03:28 AM GMT

Congrats, seeing her reminded me the time when my elder daughter came to this world. Happy times ahead fellow daddy. :)

Unknown
Written by wyldthng on 01-08-2011 04:40 PM GMT

Congrats! What a cutie!

lens cap sales thread

Written by karlthev on 01-09-2011 06:20 AM GMT

WOW!!! Congrats!!

Karl

lens cap sales thread

Written by aikiman44 on 01-09-2011 06:08 PM GMT

Of all the reasons for delay, that is the absolute best.
Congratulations!!!

lens cap sales thread

Written by jsholli on 01-11-2011 07:28 PM GMT

Congrats on the baby girl! Hope everyone is grabbing sleep when they can now ;)

lens cap sales thread

Written by DaFABRICATA on 01-12-2011 11:02 AM GMT

Congrats!!! :party: Thats got to be an amazing feeling!! :wave: :thumbsup:

lens cap sales thread

Written by saabluster on 01-13-2011 02:33 PM GMT

e8aac49e.jpg

Yeah I'm a proud daddy :) She was busy dreaming about milk when I caught that picture.

There just is nothing like the feeling of holding a new life in your hands.

Now on to what you guys really care about. :) All the caps are done and we are starting double checking, sorting, and packaging today. Shipping to commence shortly.

lens cap sales thread

Written by marcar on 01-13-2011 02:53 PM GMT

She is beautiful and congatulations to you both!

lens cap sales thread

Written by tanasit on 01-15-2011 08:59 PM GMT

She put a BIG and L O N G smile on my face...
BIG congrats....

Tanasit

lens cap sales thread

Written by saabluster on 01-21-2011 02:29 AM GMT

Well folks every order has shipped save one and that was one received very recently. Thanks again for everyone's patience and I sure hope everyone is pleased with the caps. My advice is to attempt to keep them from direct sun exposure as even thought a UV stabilizer was added to the mix it is still prone to some UV degradation. I will hang on to the molds for a while so if anyone wants more I will try and take care of you. I have an idea of how to attach them to the light as it seems to be a source of befuddlement for some. If I don't get back with you on that in a few days bug me. It's just to late right now for me to try and use the noggin.

BTW I made sure to give everyone an extra cap or two with your order. Enjoy!

lens cap sales thread

Written by coloradogps on 01-21-2011 07:44 AM GMT

Great new!

I look forward to receiving mine.

Thanks for all you hard work on this, saabluster.

:thumbsup:

lens cap sales thread

Written by mendhammarsh on 01-21-2011 08:14 AM GMT

Thank you for the update and congratulations!

lens cap sales thread

Written by RIDE on 01-21-2011 09:44 PM GMT

Woo hoo! Looking forward to getting mine!

Thanks for your efforts!

RIDE

lens cap sales thread

Written by aikiman44 on 01-22-2011 10:09 AM GMT

Got mine today and they fit like a glove. And the extras were a nice addition.
Thanks for all your efforts!

lens cap sales thread

Written by cnjl3 on 01-22-2011 12:34 PM GMT

I also received my caps today. My favorite is the translucent red cap. Nice snug fit. Thanks, again. Since I have extra's I do have a question. Can my extra caps be stored together? Or do they need to be stored separately? I mention this because I seem to remember that some of my fishing worm plastic baits would melt or fuse together when different plastics touched each other.

lens cap sales thread

Written by chipwillis on 01-22-2011 04:08 PM GMT

I also got mine and wow they fit nice. Thanks for the extra :) Money well spent. Thanks

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
========================
========================

Re: Tri-V lens cap sales thread
Written by Incidentalist on 01-22-2011 10:08 PM GMT

Another happy customer with my new caps. Thanks!

Written by 1wrx7 on 01-24-2011 10:14 AM GMT

Wow I've been slow on keeping up with thisthread. I'll try to get my order in later tonight. Thanks for putting in the effort to do this project for us!

Written by karlthev on 01-24-2011 05:49 PM GMT

Got all of mine today! Perfect! Thanks! :)

Karl

Written by RIDE on 01-24-2011 10:58 PM GMT

Got mine as well! Love them! The glow in particular is great...but they all are fantastic!

RIDE

Written by X_Marine on 01-25-2011 12:44 AM GMT

Mine came in mon I think, fit is awesome and love having the option of a second color my fav being red.

That being the case, I need to put 1 or 2 on order because I know I'm gonna loose one,, even tethered with kevlar thread.

If you would be so good as to bill me via pp req. I wouldn't forget.
Many thanks my man, excelent work.
X/BillyD..

Written by coloradogps on 01-25-2011 07:10 AM GMT

How about some photos of these on yourTri-V lights?

Written by 1wrx7 on 01-25-2011 10:09 AM GMT

I just sent paypal for my order oflens caps. If you are out of any of the colors I ordered please send me a PM or E-mail. There are other colors I like too and I would hate for you to have to make one for my late order. Thanks again for making a great accessory for the Tri-V.

Written by saabluster on 01-29-2011 03:05 PM GMT

Glad to see people started getting them so soon. Glad you like them as well. Don't forget to thank the one who designed the caps and made the master copy that even made this all possible. ;)

1wrx7 said:
I just sent paypal for my order of lens caps. If you are out of any of the colors I ordered please send me a PM or E-mail. There are other colors I like too and I would hate for you to have to make one for my late order. Thanks again for making a great accessory for the Tri-V.
Got the order. It is completed as well but the flu has kept me from the post office all week. Mandy made an interesting goof-up while doing the first run of your glow and the red. She mixed the two together. When lit up it would glow a faint red.

Written by easilyled on 01-29-2011 04:23 PM GMT

Very happy with mine. The wait was worth it. :thumbsup:

Written by tanasit on 01-29-2011 08:23 PM GMT

coloradogps said:
How about some photos of these on your Tri-V lights?
Mine came with extra extra and can be seen below:

L1090516Small.jpg

L1090518Small.jpg

L1090520Small.jpg

L1090525Small.jpg

L1090514Small.jpg

The above photo, the light's OFF.

I like them all. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Written by fyrstormer on 02-05-2011 10:37 PM GMT

Wow, those glow caps look great. I might have to get a couple. But so far, I'm quite satisfied with my titanium-coloredcap.

CIMG4682a.png

CIMG4683a.png

Written by wyldthng on Yesterday 04:16 PM GMT

Got mine today. Simply wonderful. The glowcap is very cool and the "little extras" were appreciated. Thanks! :twothumbs

Written by Launch Mini on Yesterday 05:02 PM GMT

I did receive mine the other day, but since I no longer have myTri-V, I never go to use them. So mailed them off to the fellow who bought my light.
Now I miss my Tri-V again

Written by saabluster on Unknown

wyldthng said:
Got mine today. Simply wonderful. The glow cap is very cool and the "little extras" were appreciated. Thanks! :twothumbs
Your welcome. Glad you like em. The shipping didn't take as long as I thought it would.

Launch Mini said:
I did receive mine the other day, but since I no longer have my Tri-V, I never go to use them. So mailed them off to the fellow who bought my light.
Now I miss my Tri-V again
You sold the greatest flashlight in the world?! :shakehead It's OK we all make mistakes. :)

lefteye219

Enlightened
Hello, are these still available to purchase? If any one has a couple extra, can someone help a fellow member out? :anyone:

Last edited:

VVilliam

Newly Enlightened
I would love another run of these! If anyone has an extra transparent red cap, please message me :)