Tri-V2 Information

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still do not have an ETA on the Tri-V2. But I can say that most of the parts are now in house. Namely the converter boards and the bodies with adapters. I just finished the new prototype with the XP-G flood and I will get a pic of it up soon.

The heads and other head parts are now starting to be made and that will go quickly.

As for the SW GG finish, I am waiting on the tooling to make that test. When I get it I will give it a try. What the tool will do is hold the head about an inch in front of the body during tumbling. Lets hope it works.

Cheers
Dave

fyrstormer

Banned
So, the 50c summary of changes is: the flood emitter will be an XP-G instead of an MC-E, and the driver is newer. Is that correct? The relative merits of the XP-G vs. the MC-E have already been discussed, but what makes the new driver superior to the old one?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Internally there are several improvements all minor. The new driver is the same as the old driver with an upgraded switcher IC (same pin out). It may be slightly more efficient but I have not seen that yet. Technically it is the same 3000mA capable device as the old IC but with the ability to pull a little more out of the bottom of the batteries.

The XP-G in the flood location is works just as the MC-E did but it is limited to 1500mA not 2000mA. However, as mentioned before, blending the emitters now works much better.

Cheers
Dave

fyrstormer

Banned
Is the flood XP-G a warm-tinted emitter or is it the same tint as the reflectored XP-G? Also, I'm curious, how does changing the flood emitter improve the "blending" of the two beams? I'd think the flood from any emitter would look pretty much the same, without any knowledge to the contrary.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he means that running two XP-G's in parallel (flood and reflector) with similar Vf and other characteristics rather than a MC-E in parallel with a XP-G which have different Vf will allow both LEDs, when run at the same time, to be approximately the same brightness and thus "blend" better.

Personally I've never had a problem with my Tri-V in that regard and have always been happy with the way they've blended. My bigger thought is what tint bin will be used for the flood. The warming glow of the MC-E is just something to behold - it gives a warm golden glow to any room it illuminates. I hope there is a XP-G equivalent tint.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the flood XP-G a warm-tinted emitter or is it the same tint as the reflectored XP-G? Also, I'm curious, how does changing the flood emitter improve the "blending" of the two beams? I'd think the flood from any emitter would look pretty much the same, without any knowledge to the contrary.

shineon has it right on. Yes, the blend is now a little stronger in the reflector due to the fact that both emitters will be putting out about the same amount of light. The flood is still going to be as warm as it was with the MC-E, something around 2500K. The reflector will be more of a neutral color and the spot will be the same or even brighter bright white.

Mike is now making the final production-proto flood centering ring out of brass and I will have it in my hands tonight. I will build up the proto and post a picture of it here.

Now I have to batten down the Irene hatches on the treehouse. . .

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was one wicked storm. I came out OK. Broken branches but the theehouse is in good shape. However, Mike still does not have power so the machines are not running. They told him power would be restored by Friday. :O

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a long time for Mike to be stuck in the treehouse. :p
He is happy, it now has AC.

Here is the new Tri-V2 head
Tri-V2brass.jpg

The flood emitter is a warm XP-G. It is surrounded by a small brass centering ring and a larger titanium retaining cover. The cover is retained by four 1mm chrome steel balls.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited: