• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Triple Cree XM-L T6 Dropins for D size Mag-Lites

xed888

Enlightened
Question: if the above drop-in were placed in a 2D with 2x32600 cells giving a total voltage of 8.4, the drop-in would run regulated till V dropped to 4.2V?

And regarding your driver, is it 2.8A to all 3 LEDs or 2.8A to each LED?

Thanks!

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
With two 32600 cells, you are already below the minimum voltage required by the three LEDs, and so the LEDs would be underpowered and the driver would be out of regulation before you started.

Yitao will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the LEDs on his board are in series, so you need to add the Vf of the three LEDs. That is the minimum voltage required for full power. You would need the voltage to be higher than the Vf of the three LEDs in order to have regulation. As the LEDs are in series, 2.8A from the driver will mean that all three LEDs receive 2.8A.

An alternative set up would be having the LEDs in parallel. In that instance, you would only need the power supply's voltage to be equal to the Vf of one LED, or higher to have regulation. However, you would need the power supply to provide 2.8A to each LED - 8.4A total.

Now, presuming that I am correct in stating that the three LEDs are in series, and considering that they have a Vf of approximately 3.3V at 2.8A, that means that you need a minimum of 9.9V to power the three LEDs, rather than 8.4V peak/7.4V nominal.

Last edited:

wolfy

Enlightened
Hi DW

I will take a triple XM-L Mag kit with VersionA driver and via registered mail Euro$90.50

Paypal Sent. Confirmed via PM also.

xed888

Enlightened
With two 32600 cells, you are already below the minimum voltage required by the three LEDs, and so the LEDs would be underpowered and the driver would be out of regulation before you started.

Yitao will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the LEDs on his board are in series, so you need to add the Vf of the three LEDs. That is the minimum voltage required for full power. You would need the voltage to be higher than the Vf of the three LEDs in order to have regulation. As the LEDs are in series, 2.8A from the driver will mean that all three LEDs receive 2.8A.

An alternative set up would be having the LEDs in parallel. In that instance, you would only need the power supply's voltage to be equal to the Vf of one LED, or higher to have regulation. However, you would need the power supply to provide 2.8A to each LED - 8.4A total.

Now, presuming that I am correct in stationg that the three LEDs are in series, and considering that they have a Vf of approximately 3.3V at 2.8A, that means that you need a minimum of 9.9V to power the three LEDs, rather than 8.4V peak/7.4V nominal.

that clears up a lot of questions. thanks very much

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
As I said earlier in the thread, with some modification (cropped spring in the base of the tailcap, with the inside of the tailcap stripped to allow conduction, along with a sleeve to stop the cells moving around), you should be able to get three 26500/25500 cells in to a 2D Maglite, so you can use that size of light if you wish. That will give you the voltage you need, and should allow for regulation for at least some of the runtime.

Nokoff

Enlightened
DW does this kit include an o-ring for between the drop-in and lens?

also I thought you mentioned somewhere that we would be able to run the xml triple, regulated, on 2 li-ions? Is there a new driver in the works? I can't recall which of your threads had that info.

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks great wish I had a mag.
Does anybody see why somthing like this could not be made for the M3 ?
I would love a triple XM-L T6 drop in for a Surefire M3 head am I dreaming or could this be done. ?

RCantor

Enlightened
Does anybody see why somthing like this could not be made for the M3 ?
I would love a triple XM-L T6 drop in for a Surefire M3 head am I dreaming or could this be done. ?

I'd hop on this bus (Standard D36 drop-in) with neutral LEDs in a heartbeat!

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
DW does this kit include an o-ring for between the drop-in and lens?

also I thought you mentioned somewhere that we would be able to run the xml triple, regulated, on 2 li-ions? Is there a new driver in the works? I can't recall which of your threads had that info.

Yes, O-Ring is included. I haven't mentioned anything about a new driver. With 2 Li Ions you would need a step up driver but their efficiency is too low. That's the reason I don't build them. If you have good balanced LEDs then you can run them in a parallel setup ( which I never recommend) with a 9A driver.

As I said earlier in the thread, with some modification (cropped spring in the base of the tailcap, with the inside of the tailcap stripped to allow conduction, along with a sleeve to stop the cells moving around), you should be able to get three 26500/25500 cells in to a 2D Maglite, so you can use that size of light if you wish. That will give you the voltage you need, and should allow for regulation for at least some of the runtime.

Thanks Stephen for your help.

Do you think it's worth the change? If so, may I order two sets?

The difference is minimal. So in my opinion it's not worth the change.

beekeeper5

Newly Enlightened
DW, how would you set up the triple XM-L Dropin version A with a toggle switch? Is it as simple as putting the -ve and +ve to the momentary toggle switch?

Secondly, do you have an updated driver that have High, Low and Off?

Last edited:

xed888

Enlightened
Question: I was thinking of using the 2AA to D converter using 14500 cells and using 4 cells in 2 converters. Would that not give me 4.2V x 4 = 16.8V? Voltage in series add up. Plus, each 14500 is rated at 900mAh, so 4 would give 3600 mAh. Still enough for about an hours run time, no?

Comments, guys?

Edit: Forgot to mention I was thinking of using the single mode driver and the light to run in regulation. Mag host is a 2D.

Cree states that min Vf for each XML is 3.35V at 3A. So the triple should run in regulation from 4.2V x 4 = 16.8V till 3.35V x 3 = 10.05V.

Last edited:

donn_

Flashaholic
Plus, each 14500 is rated at 900mAh, so 4 would give 3600 mAh.
No. Four cells in series gives you 4 times the individual voltage with no change in mAh, so you'd have 16.8V (unloaded voltage) at 900mAh.

The difference is minimal. So in my opinion it's not worth the change.

Thanks, Yitao. I love the drop-ins, by the way. The power is amazing, and the 4-level output is excellent.

Last edited:

xed888

Enlightened
Thanks donn for the info. I forgot that current doesn't add in series.

Hmm, if I were to say, rewire the LEDs in parallel, I could run it off 2 x 32600 in a 2D host but would need a 6A draw, which could be provided by IMRs. True?

bjsears

Newly Enlightened
You need a momentary switch for the version A or B driver.
Sorry, I don't have any other drivers.

If you press lightly on the maglite switch it will be come a monentary switch and change modes ? The driver I am using for a (3x) xm-l will do it.
Press lightly = high med low. press and click locks you in that mode.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you press lightly on the maglite switch it will be come a monentary switch and change modes ?
No, not with this type driver.

The driver I am using for a (3x) xm-l will do it.
It's a different kind of driver and needs a true momentary switch removed from the power path of the battery pack.

Press lightly = high med low. press and click locks you in that mode.
If you are using a KD/DX driver then yes, they work that way.

Momentary Mag D Switch Mods

ranger07

Newly Enlightened
:paypal:

1 x Triple XM-L kit with single mode driver - 80.00
1 x international shipping - 3.45

Total 83.45 EUR

Thanks!