• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Triple Cree XM-L T6 Dropins for D size Mag-Lites

Nokoff

Enlightened
DW I see why you say you don't wire these in parallel, though curious what makes this any different from other triples that run off a single li-ion, aren't they all wired in parallel?

I think I'm going to run one of these off three 26650, can anyone say how much better four would be, I know in general longer runtime/regulation with this driver. I just like a max 3D size, and don't own the shorter batts.

tjhabak

Enlightened
I apologize for my lack of understanding, but from what I've gathered, the momentary switch mod for these particular drivers requires the fins to be removed from the two inner switch parts so the switch will not click. I have two questions::crazy:

1) The modded switch will also need to have 4 wires as shown in the referenced threads right? (as opposed to two for the direct drive option)

2) How and where are the 4 leads coming from the switch wired up? Do all 4 go to the driver and LED assembly, and are the connections marked?

Thanks and all input is greatly appreciated.

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
1) The modded switch will also need to have 4 wires as shown in the referenced threads right? (as opposed to two for the direct drive option)

2) How and where are the 4 leads coming from the switch wired up? Do all 4 go to the driver and LED assembly, and are the connections marked?

1) only 3 wires, have a look into the driver datasheet.
2) all 3 wires are prewired. You just have to connect them to the switch assembly.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
This looks great wish I had a mag.
Does anybody see why somthing like this could not be made for the M3 ?
I would love a triple XM-L T6 drop in for a Surefire M3 head am I dreaming or could this be done. ?

Man, I've been bugging Nailbender, Milky, anybody, to make a triple for the M3... As popular as triples/quads are for the P60 size, that head is just too small to get any throw... Yet nobody really utilizes the M3 headspace. I would love one also.

tjhabak

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply DW. I didn't scroll down far enough on the driver sheet page.:shakehead I am looking forward to placing an order for a drop-in with version A driver as soon as funds permit (not long)!

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Der Wichtel,
Have any of these units shipped? I sent PayPal payment on May 14 and have not yet received confirmation of shipment. Please let me know when it was shipped.

Version A international shipping and registered please.
You sent a payment for €90.50 EUR to Cideg GmbH.
Transaction ID: 8KF993641X781751V

Thank you,
Frank

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree states that min Vf for each XML is 3.35V at 3A. So the triple should run in regulation from 4.2V x 4 = 16.8V till 3.35V x 3 = 10.05V.

Buck drivers typically require some amount of extra voltage above Vload to reach regulation. Plus, there is also parasitic resistance in the flashlight itself and at higher current loads you'll get noticeable voltage drop from that as well. So you might need at least 2V above Vload to stay in regulation, meaning the triple will stay in regulation down to perhaps around 12V, or about 3V per cell if you use 4 Li-ions. That should be fine. At 3V/cell under load, you're probably close to the end of each cell's capacity anyway.

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
Buck drivers typically require some amount of extra voltage above Vload to reach regulation. Plus, there is also parasitic resistance in the flashlight itself and at higher current loads you'll get noticeable voltage drop from that as well. So you might need at least 2V above Vload to stay in regulation, meaning the triple will stay in regulation down to perhaps around 12V, or about 3V per cell if you use 4 Li-ions. That should be fine. At 3V/cell under load, you're probably close to the end of each cell's capacity anyway.

That's not the case with this buck driver. It will stay in regulation near Vf and goes into direct drive if the voltage is too low

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
Hello Der Wichtel,
Have any of these units shipped? I sent PayPal payment on May 14 and have not yet received confirmation of shipment. Please let me know when it was shipped.

Version A international shipping and registered please.
You sent a payment for €90.50 EUR to Cideg GmbH.
Transaction ID: 8KF993641X781751V

Thank you,
Frank

here is your registered mail id: [FONT=&quot]RR7353 2051 7DE
[/FONT]

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's not the case with this buck driver. It will stay in regulation near Vf and goes into direct drive if the voltage is too low

How near is near? 0.1V? 0.5V? 1V? In a Mag with say 0.1 ohm total parasitic resistance, you'd still have to add perhaps another 0.3V. So if your driver's voltage overhead is 0.1V, you'd need about 0.4V over Vload to reach regulation.

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
ordered neutral colored xm-ls but I got the standard xm-l instead... Seems like they have mixed up my order. I think I will get a couple of them in the end of next week

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my dropin today. Woohoo!!!
Thanks DW

Running a 12 cell 2/3A Nimh pack in a tri-bored fivemega mag 2D body with finned head.
I'm really happy with it so far. The brightness is on par with my quad P7 ellie II except this is regulated and my 4xP7 isn't.
The tint is superb. It's in between cool and neutral - very close to direct sunlight. No real need for a neutral version IMO.

UPDATE:
I ran the light continuously outdoors today for about 30mins and it worked perfectly. Ambient temperature was 10 degrees C and I was hand holding it all the time while moving around. No driver issues or bluing LEDs whatsoever. The head does get hot, but not ridiculously so. It probably helps that I'm using a finned fivemega head and arctic silver thermal paste. I wouldn't switch it on and leave it for any length of time though. So overall a big thumbs up to DW. I think this dropin is very reasonably priced for what you get.

Last edited:

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine showed up today also, as monkeyboy stated the tint is closer to neutral than cool......I like it :)

Later
Kelly

stefan34hd

Newly Enlightened
Hi DW, following your mods for a whil from offline .... so came to the conclusion that this mod seems pretty nice for a planed mod of a diving lamp.

Is it possible to get some extra reflectors as well in addition to the triple dropin when ordering? If yes, what would be the price? they would serve as reflectors for backup lights.

Thanks and regards

Stefan

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
My kit also arrived yesterday, but there was no-one at home to take receipt - picked it up from the post office this morning.

Thanks Yitao.

Stephen