• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Triple v5.1 Engine - 4 Mode Pages, 8 Modes Per Page, Double Click, Faster Pins

bluemantra

Newly Enlightened
Was waiting for a 35 and took the plunge on recommendation and got the 70 and I am so glad that I did. It is the perfect size in my hand and doesn't feel large at all. I was going to pick up a 35 distressed body, but I just don't see a need. I'm very impressed with the build quality and materials on this torch. Thanks for answering all my questions!

hookworm

Newly Enlightened
Dear ElectronGuru/Dan,

In his videos about v5.1 GenKraid frequently shows what looks like a v5.1 user manual with graphs and diagrams.

I could really use that to prepare for whenever it is that I can upgrade my v5.0s to v5.1s.

Can you give me any pointers?

Rioghalmo

Newly Enlightened

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
How are the default 4 pages set up? (What are the specific output levels?)

Section E in post 1 shows each full default configuration

Every 5.1 ships with four configurations ready to select from with the 4 pin:

1 12345678 modes for ONE cell, with red mode and double click

2 12345678 modes for TWO cells, with red mode and double click

3 1234 + 1234 modes (1/2 cell dual mode groups) and double click

4 High only with hidden medium (1/2 cell dual mode groups) for tactical uses

FlyGuyLuciferin

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I just ordered a 5.1 Boss 35 and am stoked. I want to prepare, I used to have a 5.0. I can't seem to find a link on the Oveready page to the programming site, am I missing it somewhere? Also, the link in bullet 5 of the first post of this thread (load your favorite program) does not take me to the programming page for the Boss. Just an NXS page that says to load my favorite project, pic attached. I can't find a link anywhere to actually go to the programming page. Also, are there any plans to make an app or distribute software to program these lights just in case there is no internet access or the server goes down? Thanks!

Edit- I see that I can go into the NXS menu and choose programming. That seems to be where to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Hi, I just ordered a 5.1 Boss 35 and am stoked. I want to prepare, I used to have a 5.0. I can't seem to find a link on the Oveready page to the programming site, am I missing it somewhere? Also, the link in bullet 5 of the first post of this thread (load your favorite program) does not take me to the programming page for the Boss.

Sorry for the confusion, link fixed. It should now point here: https://lux-rc.com/content/NXS/NXS_R1_programming

Also, are there any plans to make an app or distribute software to program these lights just in case there is no internet access or the server goes down?

There are no plan atm. The current best options are 1) storing your 4 favorite programs in your lights itself and 2) saving them and additional programs as offline videos to be loaded any time.

FlyGuyLuciferin

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much. I am really enjoying the 5.1 and have no issue with page files or anything. That was really all I wanted when I had the original BOSS was the ability for more modes.

I have just a couple of other questions. At one point I turned on my light and it was a rapid flashing red light. I turned it off and on, still happening. Opened it up, and it was still rapid flashing red light after reassembly. After fittling around a bit it went back to normal. I assume that was just a strange mode I got in, but if there are any other thoughts I'll hear them. Could also be my battery. After a full charge I did the battery examination pin (113), and it only got a 3.

That brings me to my next question. I need batteries. The early BOSS sale pages cautioned to avoid high capacity 18350s (1200+ mah). I do not see that caution anymore, but wanted to double check if the Keeppower 1200 mah 18350s are suitable for this light. I have used them with other lights with no issue. Thanks!

Enlightened
The keeppower unprotected are the best 18350 out there right now. Any battery that can supply 6 amps is good to go.

Enlightened
Got to upgrade this old school e2d body I had finally. The amber is noticeably brighter than reds I've had before.

5-E29-A925-4929-4499-AE69-7-DE73906-D573.png

claptrap

Newly Enlightened
Do we know if v5.0 p60 drop-ins will be able to receive the v5.1 update? Also, any rough date set for the upgrade program roll-out?

thanks!

Strintguy

Enlightened
Do we know if v5.0 p60 drop-ins will be able to receive the v5.1 update? Also, any rough date set for the upgrade program roll-out?

thanks!

I could be mistaken, but I think it was said that drop-ins wouldn't be able to upgrade. I have one, so I took note...

phantom357

Newly Enlightened
I received my new distressed aluminum Boss 35 recently and I have to say, I am impressed and the hype is real. First off, I can't believe how lightweight it is compared to Bosses (al black, brass & ti) I've owned in the past. If those were paperweights then this one is a feather but it does feel substantial and is well built for sure. Secondly, the new light engine is freaking amazing. Having the wide range of options on this torch compared to other torches, including the old Boss engine is a game changer. This new engine definitely allows you to have 4 torches for the price 1 but so much more. My favorite two features thus far is the double-click (which was lonnnnggg overdo) and the motion sensing.

For those of you old Boss owners who plan on sending engines back to the spa to have the new engine flashed, you will not have 100% functionality, i.e., sans motion sensing per the Lux-RC instruction sheet.

"371D is the previous generation of LUX-RC 20mm fully regulated triple engine for advanced flashlights. 371D and 371 v2.0 are built on the same hardware platform. In most cases legacy 371D boards can be upgraded to 371 v2.0 with no functionality loss by reprogramming the engine MCU. This procedure requires full physical access to the board with special instrument and cannot be done with NXS wireless optical interface. Old 371D engines released before 2019 had no motion sensor installed. Upgrading such engines is also possible but motion sensing will not be available and motion sensing PIN must be set OFF"

If you don't have any interest in that and you want the plethora of other options, I say go for it.

Finally, whoever the heck "GenKraid" is, your instructional videos were quite helpful, particularly when you discussed the new pin timing.

I do have one question for the gurus out there. What is the purpose of the "standby" mode? How is it any different than the regular mode other than if I have the locator beacon enabled? I played around it but don't fully understand how I can make this useful.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have one question for the gurus out there. What is the purpose of the "standby" mode? How is it any different than the regular mode other than if I have the locator beacon enabled? I played around it but don't fully understand how I can make this useful.
Standby, when enabled turns off your Boss if you leave it at any level. It will then switch to Locatir mode until you move flashlight (motion sensing).
I like that feature to be honest. It compliments Bounce real nice.

Sent from Tapatalk

phantom357

Newly Enlightened
Standby, when enabled turns off your Boss if you leave it at any level. It will then switch to Locatir mode until you move flashlight (motion sensing).
I like that feature to be honest. It compliments Bounce real nice.

Sent from Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. The feature you mention is part of the motion sensing with the fast and slow timing which I really like which is enabled by pins 332 (to enable) and 333 (for fast or slow).

The feature I'm referencing is enabled by pin 335. When I enabled it and did the long half click to activate it, I immediately got the flashing beacon (amber) and I could subsequently turn the light on but it seems like this feature is more/less a locator function.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
we are still determining final eligibility. Would this be a loose board or installed into something?

Yes, KP 18350 sony VTC6

(links aren't working and are removed)

Sony VTC6... Button or flat top?

I have been running Sanyo NCR18650GA 10a (red) flat top cells seem to function okay in all modes

KP 2x 18350 is a very tight fit on the springs and threads..

Last edited: