Tripple SSR-50 Mag

Fulgeo

Enlightened
overdog,

That will work well. I used Battery Space 26650 IMRs, if you use the same or equivalent you will be good to go. They fit well when you shorten the tail cap spring. I have used these batteries in most of the triple led builds I have done and they do well.

Thanks for sharing your work Mettee. I just wanted to say that I have 5 of those Battery Space IMR26650 and they are very nice cells worth the price.

Mettee

Enlightened
Thanks guys and you are welcome I dont mind showing builds and I think I will do it more.

I would tell anyone to do this build, its a far cry from how the older tri leds builds perform. The only thing about tri builds is they are all flood, not this one :)

irv_usc

Enlightened
So, were you totally happy with using the MCE reflectors vs P7?

I thought about doing this with the Ledil SST- reflectors, but not sure how they would fit into the der witchel sink.

Mettee

Enlightened
This set up actually turned out perfect, it was surprise to me how much better it was than a P7 set up.

The SST-50 will not do as well in the P7 reflector. It is perfectly matched to the MCE reflector by chance, and that is a good thing for all of us and especially DerWitchtel since he can sell those for this new series of leds. I did the ground work for it and I can tell you all its a good combo. Use it with confidence.

The Ledils will not fit into the DW heatsink. And I am sure they wont work as well as the DW MCE designed ones with the SST or SSR-50

Last edited:

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I understand what drivers you used, I have the same drivers in hand and I've built several lights with them... About 20 3D mags using P7's, XP-G's etc.

But the AMC based drivers are only good for up to 6V input voltage.

I don't know how your able to use 3xLion cells which would be 12.6v fully charged.

Are you driving each individual LED at 4.2A? I don't know how thats possible with the mentioned drivers...

Fulgeo

Enlightened
Ok I understand what drivers you used, I have the same drivers in hand and I've built several lights with them... About 20 3D mags using P7's, XP-G's etc.

But the AMC based drivers are only good for up to 6V input voltage.

I don't know how your able to use 3xLion cells which would be 12.6v fully charged.

Are you driving each individual LED at 4.2A? I don't know how thats possible with the mentioned drivers...

Its all in the circuit. The driver he has come up with limits the current to the one SST-50 emitter it drives. The other emitters must follow suit. Also if we assume that the Vf of the emitters is 3.5 volts at 4.2 amps even with a fully charged 3 x Lion cells battery pack at 12.6 volts the driver would only see about 5.6 volts. This is the same kind of set up I use for my Triple SSC P7 Mod driven at 2.8 amps. It works and it works well.

Mettee

Enlightened
Its all in the circuit. The driver he has come up with limits the current to the one SST-50 emitter it drives. The other emitters must follow suit. Also if we assume that the Vf of the emitters is 3.5 volts at 4.2 amps even with a fully charged 3 x Lion cells battery pack at 12.6 volts the driver would only see about 5.6 volts. This is the same kind of set up I use for my Triple SSC P7 Mod driven at 2.8 amps. It works and it works well.

Jason, Fulgeo explained it perfectly. Think of it like this, the first two leds soak up additional power, so when power gets to the 3rd led(attached to the main board) in line the voltage is less. So the extra 5v or so go through the last led/amc board with regulation. That board regulates the entire set up because it is last in line, kinda a bottle neck if that makes sense. And yes it does drive the entire series of leds at 4.2a....or what ever amount you make the amc sandwich. I mentioned something about adding additional amc chips on top of what was there and you could go up over 5a if you wanted to :)

If you are concerned, wire it up and try it...it will work :) And i have many mods as well that use this board set up.

Last edited:

Sig32

Newly Enlightened
Nice build. I am seriously considering making this my first one, but I have a couple of questions. Have you done any run times on either the IMR's or 18650's? Also, after long periods of use, how is it in regards to heat (with either battery)? Thanks

Mettee

Enlightened
This light uses 26650 IMR's. It could run on 18650s as well...but run time would fall

Obviously run time depends on level you have the light on...but for high I would guess around 30 to 40 min continuous and only hand held...If you are not holding it to check temps I would check it every so often to make sure it is not scorching hot.

Maybe one of the people that like to calculate run times will chime in.

I kept temps down with good heat sinking and by keeping amps down to 4.2A. You can do less or more amps if you chose. But it is a usable light for sure.

ETA: 30 minutes use battery to 3.87v, and the 30 minute number is conservative. ETA: again, at a confirmed 4.2a at tail with a meter.

Last edited:

ttwhin

Newly Enlightened
I had some questions on what reflector to use so I asked DerWitchtel and he was able to give me enough info to decide to use the older style MCE reflector

Very nice build!
What is the difference between "older" style and the current MCE reflector that DerWitchtel sell ?

Mettee

Enlightened
...well what I know, there is a new style heat sink that he makes. It is longer where it sits in the body. Makes for better heat sinking. As far as the MCE reflector, it was made for the older style sink, and is "short" in the new style. Which helped with fitting a star between the heat sink and reflector. The SSR-50 performed very well in the old style MCE reflector.

dakyone

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any spare of those heatsinks? ...Or refectors? I really want to make a dive light using these parts but I learned today they aren't being made anymore? :shakehead

dakyone

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, i saw that. I posted my desperation before he had come out and said that. :) I am pretty sure I want to go with the XM-L setup. This will be my first build, and I am making a dive light. Still wondering if the reflector or lens is the way to go. I want the tightest beam possible. I would have been done by now if I had gone with overdriven halogen, but the people on this forum have inspired me to aim bright and keep reading and learn enough to do the LED way. Now that I think I am ready the technology keeps advancing faster than I can decide what components to buy!