3 x P7 Mag DIY with Der Wichtel heatsink! Beamshots are up!

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is kind of a pictorial...

It's based on this very smart driver solution provided by CPF user download:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201392

3xP7DriverSetupb.jpg

I used 2 level drivers I got from KD, they were 1A with one AMC7135 position unpopulated. I then soldered an additional AMC7135 to that empty socket and had an 1.4A driver. Connections to slave/additional boards are as in my thread below. Total current to each emitter is around 2.8A with D-size LiION.

What you need first of all: 3 x SSC P7. I used 1 DSXOI and 2 DSWOI for a nice white beam. The DSXOI was regulated via an AMC7135 based sandwich driver as found here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/195358

I have another with only DSXOI emitters for a cold white shocker.

It all runs from three D-size LiION cells, three 18650 cells or 9 x AA NiMH in fivemega or mdocod cell holders. See links at the end of this post.

Der Wichtels sales thread for the heatsink, reflectors and his buck driver.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/229098

xBild019.jpg

xBild020.jpg

xBild021.jpg

xBild022.jpg

xBild023.jpg

xBild024.jpg

xBild025.jpg

xBild027.jpg

xBild028.jpg

xBild030.jpg

I used a thin plastic circle to fill the space between reflector and the led to press the led down when the epoxy cured. From a platic lid, 0.6 mm or so. Cut with hole punches.

xBild033.jpg

For use with three D-LiION the spring needs to be cut to avoid to much pressure on the cells, they are longer than standard D cells. Same with using three 18650 cells, that requires more radical cutting! Springs are recessed into the tailcap. Tailcaps are deanodized with lye/drain cleaner and hot water. A few grains of powder is enough. Sodium hydroxide is dangerous and will burn skin/eyes, and it fumes. Be careful.

xBild032.jpg

xBild031.jpg

It's bright.

xSuper1.jpg

I've been promising outdoor beamshots for some time now. It's coming soon in post #2.

As for performance; I've been using the two lights with 3 x D LiION and have no problems in week three. Mag switches keep up fine and leds do not overheat. They are so bloody bright.

Some cell configs:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182370

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=2751

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=2708

I prefer the unproteceted D cells. That entails some responsibility in usage, charge them correctly and do check voltage/capacity. They are good quality industrial cells, but not infallible. It's up to the user to use them right.

Update 2009-05-07

How to adapt the spring an tailcap to use 4 x C-size cells.

I use a length of pvc pipe thats 32 mm OD and have an ID that accepts C NiMH cells, eg. 27 mm.

I cut the spring and deanodize the inner part of the tailcap. I use lye and hot water for this, lye is toxic and highly corrosive, it will burn skin and eyes and it stinks, so be careful. Lye (sodium hydroxide) can be found in drain cleaner other such products.

spring001.jpg

Cut the spring like this, one little piece at a time until it fits in the tailcap. It's trial and error.

spring002.jpg

This is how I made the driver for this little adventure!!!!!!

Note that I have popualted an empty space for an additional AMC7135 chip to get 2.8A with just two boards. Even without the additional chip the soldering points are the same. There is at least one more variety of the multimode driver out there, just follow the general rule of connecting as seen here. The last in series AMC735 VDD leg (the one with a trace going to it) on the multimode connects to slave board positive center on all boards I have seen to so far.

NewDr1.jpg

NewDr2.jpg

NewDr3.jpg

NewDr4.jpg

NewDr5.jpg

The 1A multimode really does give you 1.4A with an additional AMC7135 chip:

testndr.jpg

Stefan

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 3 x SSC P7 DIY courtesy of Der Wichtel!

Reserved for beamshots!

The setup:

xBildsetup.jpg

Tiablo A9, 18650 cell. Modded, but tuned to emulate the original on 2 RCR123 in output.
1D SSC P7 Mag, 1 x D LiION, UCL lens, OP alu reflector.
Tri P7 DSXOI, 3 x D LiION, UCL lens.
Tri P7 DSWOI + DSXOI, 3 x D LiION, UCL lens.
Mag 4D hotwire, 50 Watt OSRAM IRC, 12AA eneloop in fivemega holder, smooth alu reflector.

The beamshots

Canon G9, 4sec, ISO 100, f/2.8, daylight WB. Manual settings.

It was raining when I took the pics, not pouring down, more of a cold damp drizzle. You can see it in the beams near the lights. All lights cut through the rain/drizzle very well. The rain has effects on the pics, some straight lines are chopped up.

huset.jpg

TriP7002.jpg

TriComp1.jpg

TriP7003.jpg

TriP7004.jpg

TriP7005.jpg

TriP7006.jpg

Not in the composite above:
TriP7007.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------

angen.jpg

TriComp2.jpg

TriP7008.jpg

TriP7009.jpg

TriP7010.jpg

TriP7012.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------

vagen.jpg

TriComp3.jpg

TriP7013.jpg

TriP7014.jpg

TriP7015.jpg

TriP7017.jpg

This is not a thrower, it's a volume filler. That has no impact on the output and the ability to light up distant objects. The mega flood and large hotspot still lights up stuff well over a hundred meters away. It just lights up everything in front, and to the sides of you, for a good distance. Massive output.

How to adapt and go on..........................

Last edited:

supasizefries

Enlightened

Wow what an exciting write up! :twothumbs I also have the tri P7 kit from DW. I will be using his buck driver. I'm still waiting for my P7's to come in. Can't wait to build this! :popcorn:

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow what an exciting write up! :twothumbs I also have the tri P7 kit from DW. I will be using his buck driver as well. I'm still waiting for my P7's to come in. Can't wait to build this! :popcorn:

I'm not using DW's buck driver. If you have that (very good buck driver) the wiring is different, so please do it that way. I use a more matched driver solution and one cell less to get the same result, I'm after efficiency % in my builds.

supasizefries

Enlightened

My mistake. :ohgeez: I wrote that with my foot in my mouth. I was aware you were using the AMC drivers as opposed to DW's buck driver. I have yet to get my hands on those drivers. I think DX has them back in stock again?

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

My mistake. :ohgeez: I wrote that with my foot in my mouth. I was aware you were using the AMC drivers as opposed to DW's buck driver. I have yet to get my hands on those drivers. I think DX has them back in stock again?
I get such stuff in a few days- a week. But that's me....

supasizefries

Enlightened

I get such stuff in a few days- a week. But that's me....

Wow, that's really fast. My last order took I think month or so to arrive. Anyway back to your build...when you soldered the wires in place after you epoxied the emitters, do the wires fit nicely with the notches that DW put at the bottom of the reflectors? I'm trying to decide whether or not to solder all the emitters together first then fit them onto the sink or do what you did. I was thinking to use the reflectors as a jig to hold the emitters in place while the AA epoxy sets. Do you think that's a bad idea?

Al Combs

Enlightened

That wall shot next to your 50 watt IRC looks awesome!:faint: Can't wait for those outdoor beamshots.:popcorn:

sygyzy

Enlightened

Cut the legs off. I glue them to the heatsink and solder legs after that to get the best alignment in the reflectors. Wires drag leds with epoxy cures.

Can you explain what you mean by this?

Also, did the 3xP7 heatsink have notches or guides to help center each LED?

I am building a single P7 with DHS and I haven't cut any of the legs yet. The LED is epoxied on. Is there any particular reason to trim the legs in this application? Does it matter if I do it before or after I attach the LED to the HS?

Great write up!

Der Wichtel

Enlightened

Wow that are a lot P7 ^^
Nice work!

I soldered the wires first because I did not have that fine wires. The copperwires I had were thick and not that flexible so it is easier to solder them first and bend the wires to the right place.

@sygyzy: you should trim the legs otherwise it is possible that the legs could touch the reflector --> Short

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Nice mod...
I use that 3x7135 DC board in my P60 modules and its a good one. The 4th 7135 driver can be easily added for ~1350-1400mah. Nice thing about it is its low mode is a very high frequency PWM that I find only barely noticeable when viewing really fast moving objects.

I bought 3 boards and pulled the driver ICs off one and transplanted them onto the other two.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

:wow: It looks really bright compare to 50W IRC. :goodjob:

It's actually less bright, but so close to the wall it seems brighter. It's also very, very white since that light has three cold white DSXOI emitters. But it's a lot of light. My other Mags with one P7 or MC E look weak compared with this.

ergotelis

Enlightened

Stefan, first of all very nice work!
Secondly, do you think that 2DSWOJ and a DSWOI should work fine all together?

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Stefan, first of all very nice work!
Secondly, do you think that 2DSWOJ and a DSWOI should work fine all together?

If you use the DSWOI with the driver and the two DSWOJ "free" I see no problems. As long as you drive it with LiION you'll get good runtimes.

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wow: Wonderful beamshots.
I do see more details from Tri SSC. :clap: Just use half of the power of 50W IRC.
:rock: :rock: :rock:

supasizefries

Enlightened
Wow, some really amazing beamshots! :twothumbs I just completed my Tri-P7 Mag last night. Man, this thing is so bright! With a ceiling bounce it illuminates my living room much more than my floor standing halogen lamp. :crackup:I hope to get around to posting my build and some beam shots as well sometime soon.

olav

Newly Enlightened
Brilliant pictures Stefan, but are they manipulated - how come do you have leaves on the tree and we don't :mecry:?

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brilliant pictures Stefan, but are they manipulated - how come do you have leaves on the tree and we don't :mecry:?

We were in Prague last week and they had what is best described as Swedish high summer, in april! Climate can really suck sometimes.. Say hello to the mosquitoes, they should wake up soon in your part of the woods;)