Tritium zip pull..

Status
Not open for further replies.

stjohn

Newly Enlightened
Light11,
sure no problem.You are under no obligation! My design is quite different to his. I design stuff because I enjoy it, you buy it if you enjoy it :grin2:

cheers, stjohn

toby_pra

Flashaholic
You really want to discuss design features...???

As you can see, other members have the same
opinion, you have copied many of my features
so that it looks nearly same as mine...

I wont accept this and investigate, as i stated
in my PM. This has nothing in common with competition
when you are not able to create a complete own
design! This is shame!

I hope a mod will check this thread soon, also its
against the rules to take orders here.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it very hard to believe you´d design THAT without ever seeing Toby´s Beadbomb AND calling it the bead bomb. I´m sorry, but that kind of coincidence doesn´t exist in my book. To me it looks like you took Toby´s design, changed a few things here and there without being able to come up with your own name for that. Even if you don´t infringe on any patents it´s just POOR.

Eric

Last edited:

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firstly, I don't claim to be any legal or IPR expert so I can offer any tangible advice and it's all from my personal observations...

In today's highly competitive world, taking design inspiration and/or being a downright copycat exist in almost anything imaginable. That's why the most important steps any inventor/designer/entrepreneur must take is a visit to his IPR lawyer then straight off to the trademark office. Almost anything we use today is a design ripoff from someone else's idea or design. The car you drive, the phone you use or even the computer that you are reading this on...it's basically someone else's design with improvements/tweaks on it. So it exist in every facet of our daily lives and we sort of accepted it (besides the lawyers of course) as norm.

I'm sure there are many similarities in both designs and perhaps stjohn did looked at Toby's design and decided to add a twist to it? Bottomline is without proper brand name trademark and design copyrights, Toby can claim a moral high ground of coming out with the "original" beadbomb and nothing more. If he did indeed copyrighted it, then he will be accorded the due protection of the law. It sucks I know but what can you do? I'm sure somewhere down the line, someone else will copy my business approach, the way I presented my products packaging, the copywriting that I use for my marketing materials and no doubt I will mighty pissed off but that's THAT!!!

I have long concluded that the one with better marketing, higher quality products, most competitive pricing, rock solid after-sales support and be the most efficient in satisfying customers needs will gain from his work, whether he is the first to the market or not!

Just my two cents...

toby_pra

Flashaholic
Aside any patents its against the law to copy thuoghts, thats law
within the EU, a patent is better needed, when you need to
investigate. Its easier that way...

When i look back and think about the work and time
we invested to create this design its a shame, to tell
there is an an own design. BTW, the sidepipes are
the most important design feature.

nbp

Flashaholic
Legal or not, it's not good for this community IMO, to have a battle going on over designs like this.

Personally, I'd like to see the OP come up with some unique designs and present them. It seems he has the skills, and people are definitely interested in the product. Why not just work on an entirely new bead? It seems the best option overall.

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Toby, when will your tritium beadbombs be made available again? I missed out to the previous run and I would like to purchase one for my own enjoyment, and also to compare with other products that I will buy in the future :)

borealis

Newly Enlightened
Why in the world would you want a metallic zip pull if you're an ice climber? You wouldn't be able to touch it with your bare hands and there's a risk of it sticking to your face.

mikesantor

Enlightened
EDIT, I did not see the second page of this thread before I posted... I now see toby has already been here and I said what everyone else did. Im an idiot, sorry...

Yea, Not trying to be a **** but yours is called tritium bead bomb, Toby's are called titanium bead bombs and yours look identical too his without the vertical lines milled. I would change it up some...

Yours

tritbeadedmreva.jpg

Toby's

IMG_00562.JPG

Last edited:

stjohn

Newly Enlightened
Borealis - thanks for your comments. I climb quite a lot of ice, when doing it you where big gloves, that's the point - it makes it possible to handle your zip.

cheers, st.john

stjohn

Newly Enlightened
Guys,
I worked on my own design and developed it myself. I did not copy Toby's design. My 'bead bomb' is quite a bit different to Toby's. It is a progression from a number of models. When finished I will post it up and you can decide for yourselves...

cheers,
stjohn

borealis

Newly Enlightened
Guys,
I worked on my own design and developed it myself. I did not copy Toby's design. My 'bead bomb' is quite a bit different to Toby's. It is a progression from a number of models. When finished I will post it up and you can decide for yourselves...

cheers,
stjohn
Even if you reinvented the light bulb all on your own and called it a bulb light, it still looks like you copied an existing design. The fact that you came up with it is irrelevant if somebody else came up with it before you.

Unless you can work something out with Toby, I think additional changes and renaming are in order.

Last edited:

stjohn

Newly Enlightened
Borealis: Well I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on all of those counts! If people think I simply copied another product why would they be interested in my design if it that's all it was? As I said at the beginning of this thread I would make further details available when I had them which so far I have not done. I have acted perfectly honorably and simply asked the guys here what they thought of my design. I am sorry some people don't like that.

best regards,
stjohn

borealis

Newly Enlightened
Borealis: Well I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on all of those counts! If people think I simply copied another product why would they be interested in my design if it that's all it was? As I said at the beginning of this thread I would make further details available when I had them which so far I have not done. I have acted perfectly honorably and simply asked the guys here what they thought of my design. I am sorry some people don't like that.
People would be interested because the other bead is not available for purchase at this time, and people probably didn't even know it existed. Now that everyone knows, you'll see interest in your product drop simply out of respect for another forum member and his product. I'm not a legal expert and am against many forms of IP protections in general. You can disagree all you want, but you don't sound like a legal expert either. Potential legal issues aside, it's just uncool and perhaps unethical of you to offer an extremely similar product with an extremely similar name. I'm looking forward to your further details when and if they become available, and I can only hope that you address these concerns.

Last edited:

stjohn

Newly Enlightened
Hi Borealis,
many thanks for your reply. I sincerely appreciate your thoughts and comments even if mine differ. My thoughts disagree based on intellectual property law, not my personal opinion. My 'zip pull' is my own design, I put up the design for comment and feedback, not marketing and sale. I am not qualified to give feedback about i.p (intellectual property law) so I don't give it...

Many thanks for your feedback!

cheers, stjohn

toby_pra

Flashaholic
As i already wrote you in my Email, its still NOT legal to copy
designs, even without a patent. Thats the law in EU...

Borealis, many thanks for your words. I think the same
and told that the OP in my Emails. I dont and cant believe
that the same designs are only concidencly the same.
At that point i would change my design...

I really hope you change your design from mine.
That gives you a better start here and avoids me
to start legal action here in Germany.

Btw, if i saw it correctly at youtube, you already
offer this design for sale with a pricing! Again you
do not have any permission from my side!

stjohn

Newly Enlightened
Hi Toby,
I asked you privately to provide me with details of your intellectual property infringement allegations and you did not. Making false allegations like you have done in this thread i.e. 'I have a patent' when you don't is actually against the law. If you really want to take that line of action I respectfully suggest you do seek legal advice. I won't comment any further here. I hope your feelings will change in this regard. It is my wish simply to add something to this great community and again I state clearly I did not copy your design.

best regards,
stjohn

Status
Not open for further replies.