Underwriters Standard UL 1576 for flashlights and lanterns?

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
I see UL has brought out a standard 1576 for flashlights and lanterns. Frustratingly, the "scope" on the UL Web site doesn't explain what is *in* the standard. Is it strictly a safety standard, or does it include or duplicate the performance requirements in ANSI FL 1? Does the UL standard have any effect on us lighting consumers? It's been out since February 2018, and apparently was accepted as an ANSI standard just last October.

I can't even see a "table of contents" for the standard, and my love of all things fllashlighty does not extend to buyng a $500, 75-page UL standard. I did find a dodgy-looking site in China that might have had more on it, but my Web browser was nervous about accessing the site.

Given the amount of energy stored in a flashlight battery that you might have in a pocket not far from the family jewels, it might be very useful having a safety standard that prevents it from going off with a bang.

Anyone seen UL 1576?

Bill

ghostguy6

Enlightened
If you go on the UL site there is an option to use the free viewer to read it. It does require you to sign up but you can give false info on the site but you do need to verify the email address. https://standardscatalog.ul.com/ProductDetail.aspx?productId=UL1576&ShowFreeviewModal=1

Basically it just added a Photobiological Safety Assessment for UV radiation sources and amended sections to the time of storage for unheated drop and impact tests, marking of permanently placed products and correcting of the water spray test procedures.

Unless you plan on looking directly into a UV light at close distance I doubt this will effect anything to the average flashlight user. Even then most flashlights come with warnings on the package or manual already anyways.