UPDATE : so-called protected 18650 cells from All-Battery.com

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: protected 18650 from All-Battery.com

vortechs said:
Hi Matt,

I looked at the BatteryJunction.com website. The protected 18650 Li-Ions are only $5.95 each, which seems like a great bargain, but the shipping cost does make them a bit more expensive. I tried putting one or two of them in my cart and looked at the shipping charge and it was $6.53. Is there a low cost shipping option for small orders, or should I shop around the website to see if there is anything else I could use?

Hi vortechs,

The shipping is weight/zip code based so that $6.53 is based on UPS Ground up to 16oz to your zip code. At this time we don't have a setup for very low weight packages (under 12oz) because it's very time consuming to build a shipping table for USPS First class (the only sub 1lb service) and we just haven't had a chance to work on that yet.

For the moment you could either 'fill up' the pound or if you shoot me an email after placing the order I can credit back the difference and ship 1st class. Of course my opinion is that you should buy more stuff!!!! :)

Best,
/MattK

vortechs

Enlightened

MattK said:
Hi vortechs,

The shipping is weight/zip code based so that $6.53 is based on UPS Ground up to 16oz to your zip code. At this time we don't have a setup for very low weight packages (under 12oz) because it's very time consuming to build a shipping table for USPS First class (the only sub 1lb service) and we just haven't had a chance to work on that yet.

For the moment you could either 'fill up' the pound or if you shoot me an email after placing the order I can credit back the difference and ship 1st class. Of course my opinion is that you should buy more stuff!!!! :)

Best,
/MattK

Hi Matt,

Thanks for offering to make special arrangements for a small order. Since you've taken the effort to reply and to be accomodating, I just ordered two of your protected 18650 3.7V 2200 mAh Li-Ion's at the nice price of $5.95 each ($11.90 total). Please ship them using the most reasonably priced method that makes sense to use for an order of this size/weight. I'm not in a hurry and I have a locking mailbox, so USPS would work.

If I had needed more than four, your quantity discounts would have come in handy: $5.65 each for 5-19, $5.35 for 20-49, or $5.05 each for 50 or more. I suspect most people on CPF are like me and only need a few, so making arrangements for small orders would be nice. Perhaps somebody here will be shopping for replacement batteries for an organization and remember you.

I noticed that you had Powerizer RCR123A 3.0V Li-Ion batteries for only $2.95 each. I was also impressed about the amount of technical info you included about those batteries. The notes about the peak voltage and potential problems with incandescent bulbs were very nice to see. It is good to see a dealer that is upfront with important information about their products.

Thanks for your time and personal attention.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

Test finished with AW's DMM help! Used protection glass, thick gloves/clothing etc

Checked again and they measured 6.4mm, a little smaller than the official unprotected ones, even by eye.

10amp test done and readings were all over the place because of quick touch. Many readings over 10, up to 15.9.

Maybe AW can expound on the test… Doesn't look like these are Protected after all…

Edit: 6.4 not 64.4

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have four of these cell on order, they better be protected or their will be trouble.:rant:

according to All-Battery.com these cell are only supposed to support discharges of upto 1.5amp and you are saying you got it upto 15.9 amps.

have you tried a discharge test, to see how low the voltage will go before the so-called protection kicks in.

regards.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am on the 1st charge and used the light for beam shots only. Have not run them down yet. They are also 6.4 mm which KennyJ pointed out to me here that they don't appear long enough for protected.

Hope someone else can do some testing on these. I don't trust them and hope everyone is carefull if they get any... :)

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

mabe "MattK" will know somthing about the protection PCB since he said he was selling the same cells.

I should get my cells somtime this week.

regards.

N162E

Enlightened

MattK said:
Hi folks,

I have the same protected 2200mah cells in-stock and for sale for $5.95 each (4 is therefore $23.80), buy 5+ and they're $5.65 each. I buy from the same factory so specs are identical. LINK

We ship worldwide. The cart will calculate based on Air Parcel, not flat-mailers, so those who need international shipment gia GPM mailer need only email us. All international shipments are insured.

We also have UNrprotected LG 2400mah cells in stock as well.
Will you apply solder tabs per customer specs? If so, do you charge and how much?

vortechs

Enlightened

Lips said:
Test finished with AW's DMM help! Used protection glass, thick gloves/clothing etc

Checked again and they measured 64.4mm, a little smaller than the official unprotected ones, even by eye.

10amp test done and readings were all over the place because of quick touch. Many readings over 10, up to 15.9.

Maybe AW can expound on the test… Doesn't look like these are Protected after all…

Hi Lips,

Are you saying that the tests on the 18650's from All-Battery.com (which are advertised as protected) don't seem to show the presence of any protection circuit at all?

It appears that MattK might want to do some tests on his as well.

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened

Mine 18650's arrived today, and I think they are protected... I say this because you can feel the metal strip going up the side of the battery. When I've run one down, I'll let you lot know if they cut off at 3v like they should. :)

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

just got my 18650 from All-Battery.com

they are 65mm long and have.

"TENERGY Li-ion 18650 3.6V 2200mAh" written on them

their appears to be a strip running from the top to the bottom, but this could be a wrapper join.

the first cell i tried was 3.8v out of the shrink wrap.

I now have the first cell in my VB-16 on full power to see if it shuts itself down.

regards.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

well the 18650 is down to 2.8volts the last time i checked it, and the output is getting very low, their website says 3.0volt low cutoff, it might be 2.5volts.

lets see what happens.

regards.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have just taken one of the so-called protected cells down to 1.4volts using an 2.4volt 1.2amp krypton bulb and the cell did not shut down.

their does appear to be a strip running down the cells, but what it does i do not know.:huh2:

regards.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

So called protected is right. Now someone needs to overcharge one and burn there house down as they thought they where protected.

mac

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lips said:
:popcorn:

$5 says it overdischarges (hopefully safely :) )
:party: We have a winner!:party:

Is there any chance, albeit slim, they may have shipped the wrong cells that have a wrapper similar to the 68 mm long "protected" cells listed on the website?

I guess I'm just grasping at straws here, I had high hopes that these cells would pan out OK.
You can imagine how many orders would have come flooding in if these had turned out to be the real deal. :(

MattK: If you have some of these "protected" cells from the same factory in stock what exact size are they?

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tenergy 900mah 3.0V R123s at $4.39 sounds too good to be true as well.

I'm confused how they are located in Silicone Valley and having these issues. Seems there's some pretty severe liability.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

I believe we should call this one definitive after that test. :laughing:

I had to wait two weeks for my cells. There just not protected... Email off to All-battery.com...

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: so-called protected 18650 cells from All-Battery.com

has anybody heard back from All-battery.com about the protection PCB.

I have sent them three e-mail without an reply.

I also sent a PM to MattK, to see if he could shed any light on the protection PCB yesterday as yet without an reply.

regards.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

just got an e-mail from All-Battery.com

Dear John,

We think we have sent the right batteries to you. The color is blue, and it is marked Li-ion 3.7 V 2200mah. The acctuall length is 65mm.

Since these cells are new arrival at our store, our technician is doing the test to see if they have the protection function. He will send you an email later.

Sorry for the delay.

Customer Service
All-Battery.com

just have to wait and see what happens.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast

So All-Battery didn't even bother to test the big new feature on this Li-ion rechargeable battery they sell before passing them on to unsuspecting consumers??

Dat aint no good. :thumbsdow

MattK may not visit CPF on a daily basis and see that he's got a PM so an email will likely get a faster reply.