USB charging from PC USB ports?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
A charger that shows you the draw is very helpful; instantly reveals defective cables or devices not charging..
9Npqj4E.jpg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My phone has fast charging and requires a qualcomm 2.0 or 3.0 compatible charger otherwise it slow charges. If it is fast charging it displays it. Some of the micro USB cables can handle the current to fast charge and some can't. The cables that can't have it slow charging instead.
If your device is charging slower than usual first check the cable.
Since qualcomm fast charging requires voltages of 9 for 2.0 and 12 for 3.0 standard USB output won't fast charge.
I think it charges at 1A at 5v, up to 2A at 9v and qc3.0 is 1.5A-1.8A at 12v. Essentially 5W slow charging and 18W fast charging.
Some Anker power banks support qualcomm charging with some supporting charging the bank itself via QC2/3 (input) while some have a separate QC fast charging port for output. My phone charges 3-4 times as fast on qualcomm chargers an rather slow on non qualcomm compatible chargers.
If your device has qualcomm fast charging 2 or 3 of which Samsung has fast charging that is identical in nature with a different name to it you won't get fast charging through standard non qualcomm fast chargers. The way to determine if the charger supports qualcomm type charging is to look for 9vdc for 2.0 and 9vdc + 12vdc for 3.0 devices. Chargers that don't list but 5v don't support this type of fast charging and the only way to charge faster is bumping the current to the max which still limits you to about 10.5w or so for 2.1A.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
I think it charges at 1A at 5v, up to 2A at 9v and qc3.0 is 1.5A-1.8A at 12v. Essentially 5W slow charging and 18W fast charging.

That is not correct.
QC2.0 is 5V, 9V, 12V and sometimes 20V
QC3.0 is adjustment between these voltages in 0.2V steps.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
That is not correct.
QC2.0 is 5V, 9V, 12V and sometimes 20V
QC3.0 is adjustment between these voltages in 0.2V steps.

I was wrong, 2.0 does support 12v but max is 18w and that is listed as 9v x 2A so 12-20v would just be less current not a huge advantage IMO. My phone charger (came with the phone) has no 12v output listed only 9V @ 1.8A
I have a 3.0 wall charger that does 5v@3A, 9v@2A, and [email protected].

Anyway it doesn't help charging flashlights. I would love to see QC3.0 fast charging on other devices than phones
like bare cell chargers, bluetooth devices, etc. I do have 2 Anker power banks that charge faster using 3.0.
They have QC 4.0 out now but it uses USB C which many new phones are going to now I think can go to 27W.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I was wrong, 2.0 does support 12v but max is 18w and that is listed as 9v x 2A so 12-20v would just be less current not a huge advantage IMO. My phone charger (came with the phone) has no 12v output listed only 9V @ 1.8A
I have a 3.0 wall charger that does 5v@3A, 9v@2A, and [email protected].

The 9V only is a Samsung speciality. QC may deliver more than 18W, but they seldom do.

Anyway it doesn't help charging flashlights. I would love to see QC3.0 fast charging on other devices than phones
like bare cell chargers, bluetooth devices, etc. I do have 2 Anker power banks that charge faster using 3.0.
They have QC 4.0 out now but it uses USB C which many new phones are going to now I think can go to 27W.

I have reviewed the first battery charger that can use QC, more will follow, probably in January.
USB-C may deliver up to 100W without using and QC protocol, only the PD protocol.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The 9V only is a Samsung speciality. QC may deliver more than 18W, but they seldom do.

I have reviewed the first battery charger that can use QC, more will follow, probably in January.
USB-C may deliver up to 100W without using and QC protocol, only the PD protocol.
It is possible when people learn about these faster chargers we will see them upgrading to them.
The nice things about faster charging when it comes to batteries is you can get by with less batteries
if you are a heavy user which newer and higher output flashlights are pushing more and more of us to
it could be a must to have one fast charger vs 2 slower chargers for the savings.

I think if some sort of battery breakthrough happens that doubles capacity and safety concerns are addressed
also we may find that QC like fast charging would end up a must.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is possible when people learn about these faster chargers we will see them upgrading to them.
The nice things about faster charging when it comes to batteries is you can get by with less batteries
if you are a heavy user which newer and higher output flashlights are pushing more and more of us to
it could be a must to have one fast charger vs 2 slower chargers for the savings.

I don't want fast charging, especially for built-in chargers where heat can build up. It's hard on the cells. There's plenty of hours during the day, to recharge my flashlight batteries. A 2.1 amp micro-USB port gives me 10W of charging power. I don't need more than that.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't want fast charging, especially for built-in chargers where heat can build up. It's hard on the cells. There's plenty of hours during the day, to recharge my flashlight batteries. A 2.1 amp micro-USB port gives me 10W of charging power. I don't need more than that.
QC and adaptive and other smart fast charging adapters and batteries actually are less hard on cells as they are more energy efficient which means less wasted power and wasted power in charging typically is from heating the battery up. QC fast charging charges the battery faster when it can take it more and heats up less basically from low to about 50% or so charged batteries don't heat up as much as they do from 50% to full. I have tried charging with a 2.1A 5v charger and it would have taken about 4 hours but only about 100 minutes or so with fast charging and because it didn't get the battery any hotter is spent less time heating the battery up.