Use in theater

Megatrowned

Enlightened
Don't forget to check out the Marketplace :twothumbs Might find a deal on a light you might not normally be able to afford.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second the T10 over Ti too... don't like the foam springs or bendy tab switches of the Ti's.

Big fan of 4/7s lights too, great warranty and customer service mean many years of use.

Zargon

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys need some help I have set my eyes on this, FLASHLIGHT Z2 1X CREE XP-E R3 280 LUMENS 3 MODES
For trustfire but I don't know about the batteries any ideas of what else I will need or can I just run a alkaline in it (I know I know)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Those XXFire brands can be hit or miss quality wise, except for Surefire of course.

Do you prefer angle lights and clickies?

Do you want a keychain light?

Zargon

Newly Enlightened
Quick question, is there any super customizable cheap flashlights out there almost like a build your own, I have seen this for more expensive lights and wondering if you can find it in some cheaper lights with good lumens

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
You can look into getting some solarforce lights and parts. Not the greatest quality drop-ins but the hosts are fine. Plus, there is such a high demand for a variety of P60 drop-ins that you can get pretty much anything you want from a flood of light with no hotspot to a pinpoint of light that reaches a 1/4 mile but has no spill. You can find a good host like the Solarforce L2N for 15 dollars and I'm sure you can get a decent drop-in for 25ish. The good thing about these type of lights is that you can buy one part at a time and spread out the hit on your wallet.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
End Times Report is still stocking the original Maratac 1AA for just $24.95, which is a great price for the high build quality of this light.I've been carrying one for a couple years. It's a L/M/H twisty UI and CC says it's the shortest 1xAA made (2.99"). Output /runtimes: 1.5 L-100 hrs /18 Lumens-7 hrs /85 Lumens-2 hrs. The 1.5 L low may be a bit bright for some discrete tasks but cupping the light with the hand is a simple matter for those times. Slip a piece of bicycle inner tube over the body and it's easy to hold in your teeth for hands free operations.

I love the build quality of this light. I wish lights like this existed when I was making my living in technical theatre.

NOTE: If you go the Maratac route be sure to get the Original version. I'm sure the new one (REV 2) is a great light but UIs that turn on in high are of no use in technical theatre spaces.

Last edited:

Qoose

Enlightened
I've actually had great luck with the ShiningBeam S-mini series of lights. Simple low medium high, and so far has been the best value level light I've used. Their other house brand lights are probably decent. The beam profile should be pretty good for checking out the cats and the low should be good at not turning the sound room into a glowing window.

I forget what order the modes are in though, and there is a memory, so you may need to do the hold against hip while activating to avoid starting in a bright mode.

I use mine as bike lights that I park in urban areas, so that if they get stolen (which happened to a 4Sevens light I had on a bike once, grrr), I don't feel too bad.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Like is noted before, the L3 illuminations L10 could work at $20 (search the light up on google). 0.09 lumen firefly mode, 3 lumen low, 30 lumen medium, and 120 lumen high:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...-Keychain-Light-Try-your-best-to-not-want-one!

It is a twistie and always starts on the lowest mode so you won't accidentally over illuminate yourself or others.

Most assemble your own lights are much larger then 1 AA and 1 AAA size lights, they are closer to a 2 C sized light and IMO work better on a holster.

Zargon

Newly Enlightened
Any 14500 lights, preferably customizable but I can deal with non customizable

Zargon

Newly Enlightened
Ps the reason I like customizable is because I can get it to be JUST right then

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You could edit your posts to prevent double and triple post.

At a higher price, the Sunwayman V10A could work. IIRC it also takes 14500 batteries.