USL ARRIVES! BEAMSHOTS!

Catdaddy

Enlightened
I haven't been able to hang out here on CPF like I use to, so I haven't been following this thread at all. Someone please sned me a quick PM with the status on shhipping these.
Thank you guys,
John

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul_DW said:
Seconded!

I still
rollin.gif
each time I look at it, awwww poor lil thing ... :D

woohoooooooo!! :D :D :D

More dramatic USL shots will follow in the weeks to come.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm on vacation and will return later this week.

I have about 15 lights almost ready to ship, and will try to get them out in the next 10 days or so. After sitting for 2 weeks, I'm hoping no more cells have leaked.

If they haven't, those lights will go in the mail. At that point, Jim Sexton will be building more packs and we'll wait to make sure that no more cells leak in the first batch.

If there are no more problems, then we'll finish the build.

Bill

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dynacolt said:
Maybe it looks so dim cos it doesn't have the halogen bulb in it? :D

Yeah, all it needs is an Osram 62138 halogen :D

Bill, no leaking cells here.

Will try and find some free time later this week for promised beamshots.

Last edited:

thwang99

Newly Enlightened
Found another use for the USL.

Walking home tonight, my friend wanted a light for his cigerette. No matches/lighters, so I lit his cigerette with my USL. :)

- Tony

Catdaddy

Enlightened
SECOND REQUEST: Please help me out guys. An email would even be better.

I haven't been able to hang out here on CPF like I use to, so I haven't been following this thread at all. Someone please sned me a quick PM with the status on shhipping these.
Thank you guys,
John

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Catdaddy,

Due to some battery failures, (they leaked!!), we halted shipping while we reworked the battery problem and tried to figure out what was happening. This has taken several months.

We will be resuming shipping in the next month or so. We are currently awaiting some sample battery packs, to evaluate welding vs. soldering the packs together. js (Jim Sexton) should receive those soon, (probably today).

In addition, my supplier for Tritons has been unavailable, (he evidently takes a month long vacation in the winter) and so I haven't received those yet. His store is open, but the staff doesn't know anything about our deal and so can't help.

Please see the thread on sending me your shipping, contact info.

Bill

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite experiment with the USL wannabe I built (Mag100.. uses the same lamp and type of batteries, so output is indistinguishable).. anyhow.. in a safe place like not directly below a smoke detector and maybe with a cement floor.. take some black plastic bag material and hold it stretched out.. you can actually 'paint' words on it if you move just the right speed.. if you slow down it'll melt.. and if you stop it'll punch a hole in about 1 second flat, not kidding.. when you take a square of black plastic bag and punch a 2" hole in in about 2 seconds, people's jaws drop.

You can actually do that with any light that is above about 20W.. i.e. mag 85.. but the speed is directly proportional to the output.. i.e. the USL will do it 3x as fast as a mag85! (and ends up with a nicer cleaner, bigger hole).

-awr

cache529

Newly Enlightened
Just got my Mag85 together and enjoying it very much. I'd love to see the beamshots of the USL, but none of the pictures are showing up here or in the comparison thread. Does anyone have them? if so, I would greatly appreciate it if you upload them.

Also, there are lots of threads on building an ROP and Mag85, but I haven't been able to find one that details the build of a USL. My understanding is that a USL can be built any way you like as long you it's very Stealthy in a Mag host and freakin' BRIGHT! Is this correct? I tried the link to prototype 2 from the USL thread index and it does not work. Any help? Thanks!

cache529

Newly Enlightened
That's because you commented on a thread that is over 4 years old! LOL

Yes, I know it's an old thread. I guess I'd like to revive it and hopefully get some details on the USL. I know the build or aspects of it was confidential at one point, so hopefully that info is no longer "classified". I just read js' post on battery pack construction which was very informative. I know the USL build is exponentially harder than just assembling some parts, but that's what must be done to get a logarithmic increase in brightness. I'm thinking of using one of the 12v 100w Osram bulbs, or even high voltage. I will need to replace the switch or modify it. Also, find a bored out Mag host, etc. I'm quite a nubii at all this and just looking for some guidance or a tutorial if that exists. Maybe I should start a new thread?