• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired USL Switch Guard

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: USL Switch Guard - BUYERS MUST READ!

The list has been updated for BVH.

The next update will probably be in the morning.

J_Oei

Enlightened

No guard for me.

I'll be using this light only as "Wow" factor. Other than that, it will probably be stored in the gun safe (next to
the other very dangerous objects)

Catdaddy

Enlightened

I will take the guard...preferably springloaded like Mr. Bulk mentioned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Catdaddy

Enlightened

IF the switch itself is solid plastic, wouldn't a pin going through a drilled hole in the raised side of the switch serve the same purpose and be much easier to make?

Just a thought.
John

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Hmmm, no way to have a spring-loaded flip cover (like those used by fighter pilots over their machine gun buttons) to turn it on? That way no matter what, you'd always have a full, hard-shroud cover over it so that no object, pointed or blunt, from any direction, could turn it on. And that way there'd be no need to remove a pin, which then renders it always easily turned back on unless the pin is replaced after each activation? A spring loaded cover would "auto-protect" each time you pulled your finger off the switch...

Not trying to add complexity or hassle to your project guys, this is JAHS (Just A Humble Suggestion)...!

[/ QUOTE ]
The issue is time and money! The guard offers improved resistance to accidental activation and the lockout is fairly positive. (And easily lost/misplaced. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) I am providing them for free. A "flip-cover" design is doable, but I/Bill's project don't/doesn't have the time, and I decline to take it on. The USL will light a wad of newspaper on fire in 10-20 seconds, with smoke rising almost immediately! The design was the best compromise of time/cost I could come up with in the time frame.

Larry

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

We considered the pin through the switch, but decided it would significantly weaken the structure of the switch and lead to early failure.

There is a large flip switch cover, but it is ungainly and too large for real use on the light. It is not spring loaded and relies on gravity.

I did a few checks over the weekend. I have several other lights which will start fires, and they are MUCH more common than the USL will be. One of them has been sold by the thousands. I will not tell anyone what they are, (I don't want a bunch of you complaining that your's isn't as bright since it won't start a fire!) but most people here with really bright lights probably have at least one!

Remember, when proposed I actually tried to warn everyone about the fire potential and everyone sort of laughed it off. I did try to set carpet on fire, didn't work with the scrap I used, it smoked and melted, but wouldn't burn.

The USL is a demonstration light, a bump in the night light, not a kids light. Please remember that, and store it accordingly. Maybe even store it without a charge, so that it won't accidently turn on and cause problems, but remember, like a knife or gun, it CAN cause problems if used inappropriately.

Bill

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Bill!

The USL rates the title "Extreme!" It is an Adult Toy! It is quite capable of burning the :woodie: its operation elicits! Nuff said!

Larry

litho123

Enlightened

I echo the sentiments expressed by others. Order your USL with the safety Switch guard.

When I received the USL and first flipped the switch, my first thought was WOW! that's BRIGHT! The second thought was that the switched needed to have a safety of some sort to prevent accidental activation. I thought it was too easy to activate.

Sure enough, a couple of days later I was showing the USL to one of our security officers and had a "Freudian" slip of the finger blinding him with a full dose in the face at 3 feet. Ooops!

Unscrewing the tailcap does NOT deactivate the light.

Think about transporting this light. In a foam lined case, the slightest nudge on the switch resting up against the foam rubber could activate this light and cause more than a stinky meltdown.

Removing the bulb WILL deactivate the light but gets to be a pain installing/wiping/removing, etc.

Really, folks...tvodrd wouldn't have spent all that time to devise a way to add a safety to the USL unless it was really needed.

Thanks Larry for devising a solution. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

"burnin' the :woodie:"? Haw!

Sorry Larry but I did not mean for you to take on anything additional, what you have done and are offering to do is far above and beyond the sane call of FMD (Flashoholic Modding Duty) already!

Folks, I think we are taking this too far. Should we put Strike-Anywhere matches and rat poison only in the safe? As Bill said there are many lights that will start fires, and some small handheld spotlights we use at work have already incinerated the passenger seats of our duty vehicles to a crisp when the guy got so busy and excited after spotting something that needed immediate attention, that he put the spotlight face down on the seat and exited the vehicle only to come back a few minutes later to a roaring blaze.

As they say, common sense is uncommon, but I like to think that the general membership here is above and beyond that. In keeping with Larry's and Bill's thinking that this ain't no kid's toy, putting parallel gates on either side of the switch should be enough to let people know this ain't your uncle's ordinary flashlight, and that due care (both use- and storage-wise) should always be exercised.

Just muh (final?) 2¢...

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

The stealth aspect is really disappearing. The fighterpilot toggle sounds nice though. Im ok with using a napkin to remove the bulb every time or running it for the full 12-minutes to discharge completely. PASS on the guard for me please.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Charlie! The USL is an Adult Toy! Let us all hope we can avoid initiating governmental regulation of such!

Larry

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Charlie! The USL is an Adult Toy!

Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

Waaal alrighty then...shall we put a small imbalanced electric motor inside? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
The USL is an Adult Toy!
Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we to assume that, once the USL goes into production, it can be found in the "adult toy store" next to the whips and chains and right across the isle from other battery operated toys.
rollin.gif

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
CromagNet said:
The stealth aspect is really disappearing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'll take wait and see approach since this is a feature that cannot be added after the fact. I, also, was reluctant to go with the trigger guard, but I figure that if it does not grow on me after a while, I can always Dremel it down and rattle can it.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
litho123 said:
Unscrewing the tailcap does NOT deactivate the light.

Think about transporting this light. In a foam lined case, the slightest nudge on the switch resting up against the foam rubber could activate this light and cause more than a stinky meltdown.

Removing the bulb WILL deactivate the light but gets to be a pain installing/wiping/removing, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I'm keeping the guard, so that it doesn't accidentally turn on. The guard is simpler than messing with the bulb for a positive lockout. The tailcap doesn't work because now all the connections are hardwired directly into the switch by separate electrical paths.

It also helps, if the light should roll over, or the case is turned over, from preventing me having to beg Bill to make me another USL once it burns itself up. Beg will be the word because all I will get is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

I have not said this enough, so here is a HUGE THANK YOU TO LARRY for doing all the work to make this happen!!

I do intend to lock the USL up, and attach a small tag to the brass ring to warn those who may come across it (though it should never happen) about the extreme danger BEFORE they pull the pin - kinda makes the darn light sound like a grenade..

To Bill, what's the minimum age required for this Adult Toy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A colleague of mine used to have a coffee mug.. "Old Enough To Know Better, Too Old To Care."

I bet he'd say "no guard". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dynacolt

Enlightened

JimH said something about the "trigger"... I think he's got the concept of this light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I want that there torch what needs a safety on it!!

As someone said before, it's still a stealth when they don't see the switch or guard (and with it turned on, what is there to worry about: they couldn't possibly see what it is without a welding mask /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Dave.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*

This switch-guard seems really useful for those who wants to carry this light in their cars or anything else.IT is very nice, thanks to you Tvodrd.
For my collection and the future usage of my USL, I think I don't need this switch guard, I prefer the look of the USL without switch guard.
Thanks again for this offer, please mark me for USL without switch-guard.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

The list has been updated, though it's too early to process everything else.

Sakugenken

Newly Enlightened

Hi Ray,

I really appreciate all of your work on this project. I do not want a switch guard.

Thanks!