• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired USL Switch Guard

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: USL Switch Guard - BUYERS MUST READ!

I definitely want the switch guard. How about drilling an additional pair of holes in the front corners of the guard, in order to tether the pin. I'm thinking of using spectra cord (available from Berkeley Point) as a tether:

http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/cord/sg732.html

What prevents the pin from falling out? Is it just flared by bending the ends outward a little? Is it easy in that case to put it back in? Is there a way to color it black?

fleshlite

Banned

1. Is there additional cost to the buyers with this improvement of the switch?
2. Can the ear be grind down futher so that the unit looks more trim?
3. Could there be a hole machined into the body near the switch wires where a safety pin can be used to activate or deactivate the power to the bulb?
4. Can the triton be used to discharge the battery pack so that it can be pack for travel safely?

tks

rick258

Enlightened

I want the switch guard on both my USL. Thanks Larry for the design of the guard and thanks to all those involved in the production of the USL.

Rick

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
fleshlite said:
1. Is there additional cost to the buyers with this improvement of the switch?
2. Can the ear be grind down futher so that the unit looks more trim?
3. Could there be a hole machined into the body near the switch wires where a safety pin can be used to activate or deactivate the power to the bulb?
4. Can the triton be used to discharge the battery pack so that it can be pack for travel safely?

tks

[/ QUOTE ]

Answers

1. No, tvodrd is providing these at no charge!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif
2. It's already cut down as far as it can be while maintaining it's functionality
3. Not without adding delays and additional costs
4. You could, but you'd have to be careful not to over-discharge the pack. Bad things result if you go too far and a cell reverses polarity.

Even if you didn't overdischarge using the Triton, if the light was then turned on accidentally for a period of time, though a fire might not be a concern, the battery pack would quite likely discharge too far and a cell could end up with reversed polarity. If that happens, the pack would have to be repaired.

For travel, you can use a good tape to wrap over the switch and remove the bulb. That is how Bill shipped them to the field testers. It's also how he will be shipping them to everyone, unless he's found a better way.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Triton can be set up to NOT overdischarge the cells, and in fact is preprogrammed to not do so. It is possible to accidently overdischarge the cells if you had discharged them and then turned the light on.

For those units with the guard, it will be installed and the pin placed for shipment.

For those without, I will use the tried and true tape method.

Bill

Argetni

Newly Enlightened

No guard for me thank you.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the corrections, Bill!

fleshlite

Banned

What is the drop dead time that you would need to know about this change, I'm torn between getting the guard but then I would lose that stealth factor. This light would only stay in a collection and not for general use.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

"Stealth Factor" - I would think that once someone knowledgeable about Mags sees that big rocker switch the jig is up anyway. Also I now plan on asking for a black Mag (if you want real stealth factor then none of the colored ones will give you as good a chance anyway) and hopefully Larry's guard will be anodized or otherwise finished in black (as I believe he might have mentioned) so in the likely environments in which any light is going to be shown off, there will already be a certain degree of darkness. Thus I don't think the switchguard is going to make that much of a difference, especially a black guard. It's a Catch-22 thing - light enough to see the guard, it won't likely be the time you were planning to show off the USL anyway, and if dark enough to mostly conceal a black switchguard, the stealth factor will be alive and well - that is, until you turn the sucker on!

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fleshlite - We need to know by tomorrow (18-May-2005) night at the latest.

I will have everyone's requests posted first thing in the morning.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I definitely want the switch guard. How about drilling an additional pair of holes in the front corners of the guard, in order to tether the pin. I'm thinking of using spectra cord (available from Berkeley Point) as a tether:

http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/cord/sg732.html

What prevents the pin from falling out? Is it just flared by bending the ends outward a little? Is it easy in that case to put it back in? Is there a way to color it black?

[/ QUOTE ]
Paul,

A hole could be drilled/tapped (#4-40ish) at the front of the guard for bead chain or something lanyard attachment. The pin is only for positive lockout, and if you were carrying the light in your pocket or on your belt, isn't really necessary. (You'll know if it gets accidentally activated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif )

I will be including half a doz, pins and split rings with each guard. I have both brass and stainless pins and rings. I haven't a clue how to color them black, though one could get some plain steel cotters (1/16 X 1") from the hardware store and use touch-up gun bluing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I've found that by inserting the pin and slightly bending the short end of the cotter, friction will retain it from falling out. To reinsert it you stick the longer end into the hole and press the shorter end against the longer until it enters.

I had a setback today. After hogging out the switch cut-outs on the first 15 or so, I glanced up and saw a 2" dia, active paper wasp nest five feet from, and level with my head behind the mill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif Off to the grocery for some "wasp and hornet" spray, and I'm waiting for some quality dark so I can murder the bastids. Those things pack a whollop!

Larry

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

They are cool, and similar to what I had considered, no reason you couldn't do a little retrofit if you wanted!

With people complaining about the lack of stealth now, what would that look like!!!

Bill

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Stealth factor - carry light in bag..

Put hand in bag, fumble for light (like you are looking for it), remove lockout and drop it in bag. Pull the light out with hand covering the guard....

Tell everybody to work on powering up their own lights while you 'look' for yours. By the time you take your hand off the guard to light it up, well... they're gonna find out anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No offence to the USL, but the REAL shocker is the Mag85. That one looks completely bone stock even to someone who can inspect the light up close, at the most they might remark "your reflector is really dirty" (not realizing what MOP/LOP does) or if you used a smooth reflector they wouldn't be able to tell at all.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Catdaddy,

Those covers have been in use since at least WWII. Problem is they're for 1/2 inch round threaded switches. There just isn't room for the switches those covers work with inside the USL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Larry

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Larry...

I don`t know if anyone has ever mentioned this to you before, but "you do good work"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thank you for your kind efforts on providing us with this most-needed guard for the switch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Catdaddy

Enlightened

Thanks for responding Larry. I just wanted to run these by you to see what was wrong with using them. I knew there had to be a good reason already for not going that way.
John