• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired USL updates!!! 4/5/2005

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: USL updates!!!

As long as I can fry bacon with my eggs, I'll be happy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Understood, these are "unsupported options" - buy them, use them at your own risk, don't blame Bill if it doesn't work.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I may try the 64440 myself, it's only $5. If it's not in focus, ah, that's my problem and I will solve it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey, how many people are there on the USL team? I know you, Codeman, modamag, js, is there anybody else?

PS: What's with the bacon and eggs? You're making me hungry.....REALLY hungry.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and I have no USL to do the cooking with.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

OFFICIALLY?

Jim Sexton (the brains), bwaites (the gofer), Codeman (the account keeper/option adjuster/all around good guy) and Modamag (the build liason/machine shop guru).

I have to count Wilkey Wong (Ginseng) too, at least as the official inspiration and unofficial "go to" guy when it comes to the development issues over the last year!

Lots of others have had a hand in helping keep things rolling in some way and I can't even begin to list all of them!!

Bill

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

CPF's incan finest... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

We are not worthy..

Psychomodo

Enlightened
Re: USL First Look!!!

[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
KevinL,

I wanted to make you a tester, but the shipping time back and forth with a heavy package just takes too long!

js just went thru a nightmare with one of his packages to Europe for a field tester.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that might have been me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

(sorry Jim if it was /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif)

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
PS: What's with the bacon and eggs? You're making me hungry.....REALLY hungry.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and I have no USL to do the cooking with.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cooking an egg on the USL itself got brought up back a while. Bill even mentioned the possibility of a telfon coating to keep 'em from sticking. That bit of craziness let to a mini-frying pan attachment, my suggestion for an Easy Bake Oven/USL Combo Kit, and a focusing lens for pest control. All of this, of course, was in fun. But, I don't think any of it is outside the realm of possibility for the USL!

As to the bacon, I saw someone's avatar last night that is a piece of bacon, so I just wanted to make sure that the USL can cook everything needed for a good, country breakfast! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

I haven't figured out the attachment for the grits, though, and no country breakfast is ANY good without grits!

Ray, can you still get yellow grits?

Bill

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sure you can still find them, but not at most grocery stores! There's a couple of locally-owned, single store grocers that carry 'em.

The grit attachment shouldn't be too difficult, assuming you get the switch boot worked out. Just dunk the head in some water. Now, if any grits get stuck the lens, getting 'em off might be difficult. Can you get Telfon-coated Borofloat lens?

P.S. I'm flattered to be included in a team with the likes of the other team members. I do what I do pretty well, but not near as well as the other team members do what they do.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm going to have to send you a check with your light so you can send me some!!

All I can find out here are cheap white grits or "Minute Grits" which might as well be cream of wheat!!

Bill

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a Plan...

Gimme my USL so I can implement it, I promise to take pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In case I haven't already given it away, I'm actually going to do it. The essentials are already standing by - eggs, Heinz ketchup (the One True Ketchup), salt and pepper.

Dynacolt

Enlightened

I'm having trouble understanding the lamp/head arrangement. If the lamp is attached to the body of the light, and the head/reflector srews down over the lamp, why is it that this light is not focussable by turning the head?
Hoping someone can explain this in a simple way,
Thanks,

Dave.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dynacolt,

There is some focus available. Axial filament lights don't have the range of focus that transverse filament lights do, because the filament itself runs perpindicular to the axis that most reflectors are designed for.

This means that by nature they have a center hot spot that is essentially round. you can unfocus that spot a little, but essentially it is still pretty well focused all that time.

That is what allows the USL to have decent throw with such a small head. A larger head will throw a transverse filament light further, because the reflector is designed to focus that transverse filament to the tightest possible space.

Bill

Dynacolt

Enlightened

Excellent, thanks Bill, that makes complete sense now. More light sideways makes for more photons to the reflector makes for more throw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And thanks guys for all your work on the light and the order list. I'm hanging out for the USL, and also for the Triton. It will save me having several chargers for various-sized cells, and hopefully save a bunch of clutter on my bench.

Dave.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

New Beamshots and Comparison Photos!

About 5:30 this morning, before I'd even had a sip of coffee, I saw an email from Bill that had some attachments.

Hmmm...interesting...

I'd just taken my first sip of coffee when I opened the first attachment. It's a miracle the coffee didn't end up all over my keyboard and monitor when my jaw dropped!

It was a real honor to be the first CPF'er to see these and to be asked to post them, Bill. After all, you gave birth to the USL. A proud Daddy you should be! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The USL Team members who brought the USL to life include bwaites, js, and Modamag. Ginseng also deserves a huge shout-out since it was his Aurora project that was the basis for the USL. And I'm sure there are others who've helped make the USL a reality.

I hereby declare that it is officially time to gasp, to drool, to shout, AND to post your praises for the superb, ground-breaking work of these folks!

Below: FiveMega Mag 85, 9 4000MaH 1/2 cells running a WelchAllyn 1185 (for comparison)
USL_2_008.png

Below: FiveMega Mag 85 beam shot (for comparison)
USL_2_001.png

Below: 4 USL's in a row!!
USL_2_002.png

Below: 4 USL's in a row with a 6D FiveMega Mag 85 (for comparison)
USL_2_006.png

Below: Close up of the Above Pic
USL_2_007.png

Below: 2 USL's over High Beam Headlights of '95 Chevy Pickup
USL_2_011.png

Exposures were 1/60 - 1/90 second at F/2.8! For shots taken in the dead of night, those are incredibly fast exposure times. I wonder why ?!?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ray,

Thanks for posting these!!

The field test units will go out today.

I put a full run through each of them last night and was very happy with the results!!

They all ran for over 5 minutes continous while taking these pictures, with 2 of them running for almost 7 (the headlight duo) and then rested for about ten minutes and then ran another 5+ minutes before the first two started to dim, (once again the headlight duo). The other two went dim at about 6 1/2 -7 minutes, so cumulative run time was right at 12 minutes for all of them.

It was cold here last night, so while outside they never got very warm. Inside was another story. While I could pick them all up, holding them at switch level, they were definitely very warm and the head itself was uncomfortable.

But boy, are these suckers bright!! In comparison to the Mag 85 with the FiveMega head, they throw as far or farther, but light everything up in between!! Where the FM Mag85 will have a 6-8 foot hot spot on a tree at 50 yards, the USL with stealth head will have a hot spot twice as big, denser white, and spill will light up the whole rest of the tree.

Where the FM Mag85 will light up a tree at 250 yards, the USL will light it up easily twice as brightly, but also light up everything in between.

That is about as descriptive as it gets for me.

Bill

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmmm....pics.

Conceptualizing 3000 lumens is one thing.

Putting down money to buy 3000 lumen USL is one thing.

Being able to smell the egg cooking on the 3000 lumen USL, OMG WOWOWOOWOWOWW!!!!!!!!!! I won't be happy until I can smell it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
Being able to smell the egg cooking on the 3000 lumen USL, OMG WOWOWOOWOWOWW!!!!!!!!!! I won't be happy until I can smell it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill,

How long before the mini fry pan accessory is available?

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*

Very very expressive pictures !!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I am sure I'll frighten all my neighbours with so much power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Could you compare it with an SF M6 at 500 lumens ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jim Sexton could give you a good idea of what and how it compares to the M6.

I have yet to see an M6 fired up! But a Mag85 puts out around 800 lamp lumens vs. 500 for the M6.

Bill