UV LED light recommendations?

Tubor

Enlightened
Tubor, how bright is that one? The shorter wavelength UV LEDs that I've had have been rather weak. If that one has decent power I'd jump on it also.

It's about twice as bright as my 51UVLED "brightest UV flashlight in the world" (I don't think they had thought of the 3W Cree UV LED's when they said that though) I bought off of ebay last year. The wavelength isn't as low as a UV florescent tube - as there is more visible light - but it florescences from a long way away and is very good for coloured money markings and stuff that "normal" UV LED's won't fluoresce properly (like the markings on a Euro or some UK money).

Bronco

Enlightened
I'd like to know more about this one as well. Does anyone know at what wavelength this light operates. I can't seem to find an answer on the Amilite website.

By way of a follow-up on the Amilite Neo UV, I sent the manufacturer an email this morning requesting additional information. Kevin responded this evening to say that the light operates in the 395 to 410 NM range at a flux of 200 mW. I've since noticed that their website has been updated to reflect this new information as well.

It's apparent that most of the experienced UV light users participating in this discussion favor a beam operating lower on the UV spectrum in the 360 to 375 NM range. Compared to some of the other offerings we've seen mentioned in this thread, do you folks feel that the sheer output of the Amilite Neo UV could make up for the fact that it's operating at a somewhat less desirable wavelength?

Last edited:

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a matter of reference, a regular fluorescent blacklight tube operates at 365nm. These are the blacklight bulbs that you see in Spencer's gifts and other similar stores. It's also the wavelength used in bug zapper lights This wavelength is a little bit shorter than most UV LEDs.

I've never seen warnings for longwave blacklight fluorescent lamps. That doesn't mean that it's a good idea to stare into them, of course, but they do put out more UV energy than the average UV LED flashlight.

Shortwave UV sources are another story though! UVC sources clock in around 254 nm, and at this wavelength the light can kill germs and damage skin cells because it's able to break down molecular bonds in living organisms. Naturally this wavelength is VERY bad for your eyes.

I have yet to see a shortwave UV LED in person. Currently they're only available in extremely low powers and at extremely high prices. For those applications that need UVC radiation, a quartz fluorescent "germicidal" tube is still the way to go.
Bingo.

If you don't need a 'flashlight' style light, the cheapest and 'best' route to go is with a fluorescent style light. You can get a 4 AA powered fixture in Walmart and most other discount stores for less than $10. Then get a 4 watt black light bulb (<6 inches from prong to prong) available as a replacement for a bug zapper and you're ready to go. It's the proper wavelength and more powerful than any of the 5mm LEDs. BTW, this lower wavelength than the other 375 - 4xx talked about here has less visible light, so you can't 'see' the brightness as well and might think it is weak, but it will fluoresce better.

If you don't need a battery operated light, Walmart sells a 24" fixture with bulb for $10 and it is the correct wavelength. (I've used UV in my business for curing resins for the past 18 years).

You should use eye protection for these lights.

For small and convenient, the ARC does the best job of the little lights that I've seen, but for serious use it's probably not the best choice.

gerG

Newly Enlightened
I like Larry's approach. Those Cree emitters are amazing. Did they really quit making them?

Shorter wavelength does NOT mean more fluorescence. Various compounds absorb light preferentially in a narrow band and re-emit at another frequency. 395nm seems to work great for scorpions.

The fluorescent lights have been pitiful at best. Even the larger ones have not done a very good job. I probably had the wrong wavelength. Also tough to put a 2' fluorescent light in your pocket while picking up scorpions.

The Inova X5uv is perfect for indoors. It has a nice controlled flood pattern with a reasonable output. You don't want high output with reflective surfaces nearby.

The Streamlight dual spectrum seemed like a good idea, but I thought it was junk. The little Inova put it to shame. The batteries finally leaked in the Streamlight due to disuse and I threw it away.

The Teralux drop-in for the mini-mag was very unimpressive. Very blotchy with the reflector, and wasted light without. Surprisingly weak for a 1 watt rated emitter.

I am still on a quest for the best outdoor light. A Maglite conversion with 3 Cree uv emitters and wide Fraen lenses seems ideal, especially if I can get it to run at different power levels.

fwiw, I find several scorpions per week around my house. I even kept a desert hairy as a pet (and to test lights, of course). His name is Spike :p
I relocate the harmless types, but the centroides (bark scorpions) meet a swift end.

gerG

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Shorter wavelength does NOT mean more fluorescence. Various compounds absorb light preferentially in a narrow band and re-emit at another frequency.

Correct, however the term "more fluorescence" can be taken the wrong way. I collect fluorescent minerals and I've found that the shorter wavelengths reveal far more variety of fluorescent rocks than the longer wavelengths, especially 395nm. For those who want to identify certain living things like scorpions, you might find that 395nm works as well as or better than shorter wavelengths. Some objects even fluoresce brightly under blue light, well into the 400nm range. The phosphor on a white LED is a good example of this; shine a blue LED onto a white LED and you'll see a brilliant yellow fluoresence. Shine a UV LED on that same white LED and you'll get next to nothing in terms of a fluorescent response.

Last edited:

Icarus1

Newly Enlightened
icon1.png
UV LED

I know there a multiple threads concerning UV lights, but can someone recommend a good UV LED light? Are the Nichia LEDs still the ones to beat in this area or has something better come out? I am not too familiar with UV LEDs that are available. Thanks for any advice.​

choombak

Enlightened
icon1.png
UV LED

I know there a multiple threads concerning UV lights, but can someone recommend a good UV LED light? Are the Nichia LEDs still the ones to beat in this area or has something better come out? I am not too familiar with UV LEDs that are available. Thanks for any advice.​

I own the Arc AAA UV, which utilizes the Nichia 375nm led, and find it useful. There is one from Inova too, but it uses a higher wavelength LED (more blue light).

-Amarendra

bedazzLED

Enlightened
I recently purchased this particular UV light:

http://www.ledshoponline.com/8_led-flashlight.htm#375nmUV

It has a filter on the lens that blocks out most of the purple/blue light so what you are left with is a torch that seems to produce no light until it is turned onto something such as a white surface, head-lice, some insects, stains, dust. It's quite freaky to use due to the fact you see almost no light, so you cannot use it like a normal torch to light up an area.

For example, I have a kitchen that has mainly earthy colors, including the floor tiles. When I switch off the lights and use the UV torch, it's almost pitch black because nothing shows up until I shine it onto something white and all of a sudden I have this flare-up of light!

DM51

Flashaholic
Old thread, but a good bump as this is a perennial question.

There's an important point to bear in mind, quite apart from the wavelength required (which will depend on what it is needed for). It is this: When you get the light and switch it on for the first time, you are quite likely to think either "Meh, that's pretty feeble," or "Wow! that's really bright - great!" In either case, you are likely to be wrong.

UV light is invisible. bedazzLED's post above illustrates that. You can only see the effect of UV when it illuminates an object (banknote watermark, scorpion or whatever) that it is intended for. If it is the right wavelength light for the job, such objects will show up like beacons; but if it is the wrong wavelength, it will be ineffective. And if you can see the light it emits, all that means is it is emitting a lot of non-UV light - deep blue and violet colors, rather than ultra-violet.

dradee1

Newly Enlightened
So with that being said, can you recomend a UV LEd light that will cure Norland glue quickly? Any experience with the mcgizmo UV lights?

Old thread, but a good bump as this is a perennial question.

There's an important point to bear in mind, quite apart from the wavelength required (which will depend on what it is needed for). It is this: When you get the light and switch it on for the first time, you are quite likely to think either "Meh, that's pretty feeble," or "Wow! that's really bright - great!" In either case, you are likely to be wrong.

UV light is invisible. bedazzLED's post above illustrates that. You can only see the effect of UV when it illuminates an object (banknote watermark, scorpion or whatever) that it is intended for. If it is the right wavelength light for the job, such objects will show up like beacons; but if it is the wrong wavelength, it will be ineffective. And if you can see the light it emits, all that means is it is emitting a lot of non-UV light - deep blue and violet colors, rather than ultra-violet.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I'm looking to acquire an UV LED flashlight, preferrably using AA or AAA batteries.

Are there any decent ones available these days?

Main purpose will be to hunt for scorpions, look for leaks, dirt, etc... Prefer not to spend too much money (ie more than $40 / $50) if possible since it will be a specialized light. Will consider more expensive models if there are compelling reasons to.

Thanks in advance.

Terminal 4 has no scorpions. Look, you can tell us, we understand...it is for cheap motels, right?

But then, are there cheap motels in the greater Terminal 4 area?

So what do you really want the light for? I will admit that I give them to all the people who work with me on location, since I make them stay at cheap motels. Me? well, I stay only at the best Hotels, so I only carry mine for...scorpions? Right, scorpions!

1 what

Enlightened
If you have an "old" light in the scrap box it's worth playing around with the DX UV LED mentioned by NorthernLights in post # 3.
See http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?183086-UV-Thrower
A very reasonable light for just a few dollars.
The other thing I've recently done to it was fit a Woods Filter which cut out all the visible blue light. I was given the filter from a broken UV light.
I've not been able to find a retail source of Woods Filters.....Anyone know where you can buy them?