• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

V3 Regulated Triple Discussion Thread

Troop#26

Newly Enlightened
Hi Bladedude,
Many thanks for your kind reply.
I understand your comments a little, I'm a novice in this field.
I want to see your pictures to learn more.
Thanks again,
Candle lamp :wave:
Hi Candle Lamp,

The V3 Triple (V3) likely wont work in your host. The doesn't have the negative contact spring, rather the whole drop in is shaped like the receiver portion of a surefire light. This is done for heatsinking as with that many lumens it produces a considerable ammount of heat. The whole body of the drop in makes negative contact as well as making contact with the side of the host to help disipate heat. This makes it much more effective for thermal dissipation.
26.jpg

Oveready (Moddoo) Tripple (front)
27.jpg

Oveready (Moddoo) Tripple (side)
28.jpg

Oveready (Moddoo) Tripple (rear)
29.jpg

Oveready (Moddoo) Tripple (3/4)

Stephen

Last edited:

LightJunk

Enlightened
Hi candle lamp,

I've tried the DD Triple in the L2P host and it won't light up. The drop in negative contact does not mate with the host contact negative. You will need the outer spring and copper tape too as it rattles in the host.

Using Surefire M2 shock isolation head will cause the drop in to flickers. Mine did. Maybe because of the shock absorbing mechanism and the weight of the drop in.

Surefire host fits nicely. So does FM host.

Below is my setup - Solarforce A001 head, FM 1x26650 host and Britelumens Mag C to 18650 sleeve.

MDDTR5FM-3.jpg

MDDTR5FM-1.jpg

Last edited:

Bladedude

Newly Enlightened
Hi Bladedude,
Many thanks for your kind reply.
I understand your comments a little, I'm a novice in this field.
I want to see your pictures to learn more.
Thanks again,
Candle lamp :wave:

Hey Candle lamp here's the pics you need.:thumbsup: Sorry about the quality, i don't have a good camera. The washer and rectangular sleeve are cut out of an aluminum can, it will take some trial and error to get it right.

PICT0021.jpg

Flashlight Powered by NOS!:rock: Haha!
PICT0016-1.jpg

Insert rectangular sleeve into host like so, then push down flush with top of host or lower.
PICT0015-1.jpg

Place aluminum washer inside host onto lip (the whole point is to make the washer extend further in towards the center of the body while making contact with the brass ring on the triple but Not the spring on the triple) It just basically makes the lip on the host bigger.
PICT0014-1.jpg

Behold the Power!:devil:
PICT0020-1.jpg

Not the perfect setup but it works great with good heatsinking out through the head. I prefer the looks and use of this solarforce over a surefire 6p and thats why I chose to make it work like this.:)
Hope this helps, let me know how it goes.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Candle Lamp,

The V3 Triple (V3) likely wont work in your host. The doesn't have the negative contact spring, rather the whole drop in is shaped like the receiver portion of a surefire light. This is done for heatsinking as with that many lumens it produces a considerable ammount of heat. The whole body of the drop in makes negative contact as well as making contact with the side of the host to help disipate heat. This makes it much more effective for thermal dissipation.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,
I understand not only the shape of V3 triple drop-in module but its effective radiation of heat structure thanks to your detailed explanation and several pictures.
The following is the picture of solarforce L2P battery tube.

img3938l.jpg

As you can see, the surface of tube inside is just flat and there is small spot(lip) to contact with the support spring of the typical p60 module. I think V3 triple drop-in will not work in my host without any modification.
Thank you so much.

Candle lamp,

Last edited:

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi candle lamp,

I've tried the DD Triple in the L2P host and it won't light up. The drop in negative contact does not mate with the host contact negative. You will need the outer spring and copper tape too as it rattles in the host.

Using Surefire M2 shock isolation head will cause the drop in to flickers. Mine did. Maybe because of the shock absorbing mechanism and the weight of the drop in.

Below is my setup - Solarforce A001 head, FM 1x26650 host and Britelumens Mag C to 18650 sleeve.

Hi LightJunk,

You have found V3 DD Triple didn't fit to your L2P. Thank you too much for your attempt and nice pictures. I need a surefire host to use V3 triple drop-in or modification of the L2P.
Thanks again.

Candle lamp

Last edited:

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Candle lamp here's the pics you need.:thumbsup: Sorry about the quality, i don't have a good camera. The washer and rectangular sleeve are cut out of an aluminum can, it will take some trial and error to get it right.

PICT0021.jpg

Flashlight Powered by NOS!:rock: Haha!
PICT0016-1.jpg

Insert rectangular sleeve into host like so, then push down flush with top of host or lower.
PICT0015-1.jpg

Place aluminum washer inside host onto lip (the whole point is to make the washer extend further in towards the center of the body while making contact with the brass ring on the triple but Not the spring on the triple) It just basically makes the lip on the host bigger.
PICT0014-1.jpg

Behold the Power!:devil:
PICT0020-1.jpg

Not the perfect setup but it works great with good heatsinking out through the head. I prefer the looks and use of this solarforce over a surefire 6p and thats why I chose to make it work like this.:)
Hope this helps, let me know how it goes.

Hi Bladedude,

Wow, You show your amazing skill and it's very kind of you.
I got your method thanks to the good pictures and nice explanation as well. In my view, it's the most economical method.
Thank you,

Candle lamp

Bladedude

Newly Enlightened
Hi Bladedude,

Wow, You show your amazing skill and it's very kind of you.
I got your method thanks to the good pictures and nice explanation as well. In my view, it's the most economical method.
Thank you,

Candle lamp

Thanks Candle Lamp and your welcome:) It is the most economical but at the same time durable. Hope whichever host you choose works out for you:thumbsup:

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had the same problem initially with M2 bezel. Get a Malkoff's fitting ring for surefire shock absorbing heads, place it in front of the drop in, and voila!

Moddoo drop ins have very similar dimensions as the Malkoff's except Malkoff's can make the negative contact through it's body.

It shouldn't be difficult to get a washer or a wire with just the right diameter (like a binder wire from note pads from what I read in the forums) to create a negative contact point sandwiched between the drop in and the host body. The heat dissipation can be helped by copper tape between the side of the drop in and the host body (or artic silver also from what I read).

Kraid

Enlightened
Can anyone comment on the drop-in's compatability with a LEEF host? Also the heatsinking with a LEEF host?

Troop#26

Newly Enlightened
Well...

Found a complete turn key light with a V3 Triple XPG neutral over on the BTS Forum. So guess who has another Triple coming their way!
:devil:

Stephen

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone comment on the drop-in's compatability with a LEEF host? Also the heatsinking with a LEEF host?

I use one of these in my Leef 2 x 18500 frequently.

It drops in a works perfectly with zero modifications.

The fit is a tiny bit looser around the drop-in, but I have run it very hot several times.

Use with confidence in a Leef.

kellyglanzer

Enlightened
Hi candle lamp,

MDDTR5FM-3.jpg

MDDTR5FM-1.jpg
As a newbie here I am wondering why you don't run this with out the sleeve and just use the 26650 in it? I have the same body and was thinking of running it with the 26650 for extended run times.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
As a newbie here I am wondering why you don't run this with out the sleeve and just use the 26650 in it? I have the same body and was thinking of running it with the 26650 for extended run times.

He's running the V2, a direct drive version of the Triple. On larger IMRs, its like a car without a gas petal (regulator), running to hot (fast), burning itself up.

kellyglanzer

Enlightened
He's running the V2, a direct drive version of the Triple. On larger IMRs, its like a car without a gas petal (regulator), running to hot (fast), burning itself up.

Ahh, got it. so i'm good with my two regulated versions of your fabulous triple to run them with my 26500 and my 26500 setup? sweet. :)

Golfer2000

Newly Enlightened
Besides, I intend to mount it in a Malkoff host with the hi/low switch ring when I can get a hold of them. Now that's a UI I can love. No unpredictable clicking electronic modes, a very simple and tactile analog twisty switch.

$3 on a $150 +/- module plus international shipping? I'm not gonna deal with clicky modes to save $3 on that.:sick2:
Can you elaborate on such a setup, and if its been proven to work. Thanks!

Last edited: