• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

V3 Regulated Triple Discussion Thread

Kestrel

Flashaholic
A beamshot comparison between the following modules:
  • Malkoff M31W (which actually uses a neutral XP-G)
  • Moddoo Direct Drive XP-G triple
  • Moddoo Regulated 1100 'neutral' 3-mode triple.
Beamshots were taken at 6 feet. The exposure setting was set to the Malkoff M31W and subsequently held constant.

Standard exposure:

Malkoff M31W (2xAA NiMH, ~240 lms OTF)_ Moddoo Direct Drive XP-G triple (cool tint, 1xAW18650, Zero-res)
Moddoobeamshots001.jpg
Moddoobeamshots002.jpg

Moddoo Regulated three-mode '1100' (neutral tint, 2xAW18500, zero-res)
High__________________________________ Medium_______________________________ Low
Moddoobeamshots003.jpg
Moddoobeamshots004.jpg
Moddoobeamshots005.jpg

Underexposed:

Malkoff M31W (2xAA NiMH, ~240 lms OTF)_ Moddoo Direct Drive XP-G triple (cool tint, 1xAW18650, Zero-res)
Moddoobeamshots006.jpg
Moddoobeamshots007.jpg

Moddoo Regulated three-mode '1100' (neutral tint, 2xAW18500, zero-res)
High__________________________________ Medium_______________________________ Low
Moddoobeamshots008.jpg
Moddoobeamshots009.jpg
Moddoobeamshots010.jpg

Conclusions:
These two modules from Moddoo & ElectronGuru are pretty much unbeatable in my favorite form factor (SureFire C2 & C3, bored for 1x18650 & 2x18500).
The tint from the 1100 'neutral' is exceptional. :twothumbs

I will be getting a lot of use from the three-mode 'neutral' triple for this coming dark, rainy, Oregon winter. :twothumbs

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
A beamshot comparison between the following modules:
  • Malkoff M31W (which actually uses a neutral XP-G)
  • Moddoo Direct Drive XP-G triple
  • Moddoo Regulated 1100 'neutral' 3-mode triple.
Beamshots were taken at 6 feet. The exposure setting was set to the Malkoff M31W and subsequently held constant.
(snip)

VERY nice job on the beamshots :thumbsup:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
V3's look good. M31W looks sort of out of place compared to those macho V3's. Have any of those hot NiZn's to try M31 with?

Bill

Golfer2000

Newly Enlightened
Product Product Code Quantity Price
SureFire 6P - Bored Type II - Black
Bezel Ring - 1. SF Black Plastic Ring
Lens/Window - 2. Ultra Clear Lens (UCL)
Tail Switch - 4. McClicky - Black HARDpress
6P-BK-18650 1 $103.00
AW 18650/2600 Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery for SureFire®
18650-Bk 1 $16.00
Titanium Engineering Triple XPG - Three Level Drop In (3.5-9.5v)
Engine Model - Triple/60 L3c (cool)
Triple-L3 1 $145.00
Order Status: Processing (See order notes)
Order Date/Time: Sep 02 2010, 19:00 PM
Payment Method: PayPal Shopping Cart
Shipping Method: USPS - Priority Box (US/CONUS)

Subtotal: $264.00
Discount: $0.00
Total Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $7.00
Grand Total: $271.00

:paypal: :wiggle:

one left :oops:

gjg

Enlightened
Dan (ElectronGuru),

I recently purchased a V3 Triple Neutral. I have been using it in a bored M2 Host with a AW 18650-2600 cell. Recently my new AW IMR16340 cells showed up. I plugged them in quickly, prior to charging, to see if there was a noticeable difference in brightness between the 1000 lumen and the 750 I was used to, there was. I quickly changed out the cells, so I could charge the new IMR cells, I put the 18650 back in. The light would not turn on. I have had this problem before, when the light first arrived to me it would not turn on. I had to switch out the 18650 that was in the host with the "spare" that shipped with it and it turned on fine. I then swapped out the "spare" battery with the one that I thought was dead (that shipped in the host) and it too worked. I have now tried every 18650 cell I have. They are all AW's, 5 of the older 2200 mAh and the two 2600 mAh I ordered with the light. I have tried several of my AW 17670's as well, nothing. It wont light up at all on a single Lion cell. When I put the 2 X IMR 16340 back in I get like 30 lumens of light. I have tried charging the cells, disassembling, everything. Im a little worried that something went :poof:.

Stephen

Edit: Dan has contacted me and is working to fix this problem. Very happy with the service. Will update when all is bright again!

I had pretty much the exact same problem with my neutral last night! Changed from a 2-cell to a 1-cell config, hit the button, then nothing with 18650's. With 2 cells it stayed on one level - 30-40 lumens or so. But Dan is the Man - Great customer service. I think we'll be taken care of.
gg

Troop#26

Newly Enlightened
I had pretty much the exact same problem with my neutral last night! Changed from a 2-cell to a 1-cell config, hit the button, then nothing with 18650's. With 2 cells it stayed on one level - 30-40 lumens or so. But Dan is the Man - Great customer service. I think we'll be taken care of.
gg

Yep... A few tears and lots of swearing when it wouldn't turn on. Ok, I didn't cry and I did swear! The boys wanted to know what made me so mad at work?!? Anyway, Dan was amazing to deal with, as always and already has the fix in progress. In the mean time I found an P6 turn key light with a neutral on the BST forum and it is coming home. Now I just need him to get some more A19 bored extenders so I can run it like a 9P and get regulated bliss. Should be a great bump in the night light!

Stephen

Cannot say enough good things on their customer service. REALLY

Subtotal: $264.00
Discount: $0.00
Total Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $7.00
Grand Total: $271.00
Shipping into Canada SUCKS! I love how you can ship something form Helena Montana to Calgary Alberta (376mi) for $35 but from Helena Montana to New York New York (2285mi) is $7. DAH!

Certainly not Overeadys fault... I blame... well I dont know who... but it sucks none the less!

Last edited:

Golfer2000

Newly Enlightened
At least you guys can get JDM cars at 15 years! lol
Shipping into Canada SUCKS! I love how you can ship something form Helena Montana to Calgary Alberta (376mi) for $35 but from Helena Montana to New York New York (2285mi) is $7. DAH!

Certainly not Overeadys fault... I blame... well I dont know who... but it sucks none the less!

ejot

Enlightened
gg

Dan, my V3 Triple is also not working - probably my fault though. :sick:

I PM'd you a few days ago but haven't heard anything. I can't overstate how crushed I am about this and how bad a case of TWS (Triple Withdrawal Syndrome) I'm experiencing. Could you please shoot me a PM or an email?

helmsoriggmail.jpg

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
These electronics do not have reverse polarity protection.

The issues a few people have had, point to a reverse polarity failure.

We will replace these Drop-ins ASAP.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: THESE V3 TRIPLES DO NOT HAVE REVERSE POLARITY PROTECTION. INSTALLING CELLS BACKWARDS WILL DAMAGE THE ELECTRONICS.

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
These electronics do not have reverse polarity protection.

The issues a few people have had, point to a reverse polarity failure.

We will replace these Drop-ins ASAP.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: THESE V3 TRIPLES DO NOT HAVE REVERSE POLARITY PROTECTION. INSTALLING CELLS BACKWARDS WILL DAMAGE THE ELECTRONICS.

Do all versions of your triple xpg (like the single mode regulated) not have reverse polarity protection or is it just with the recent batch of 3mode triples?

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do all versions of your triple xpg (like the single mode regulated) not have reverse polarity protection or is it just with the recent batch of 3mode triples?

All V3 triples do not have reverse polarity protection.

Please use caution when inserting cells with these drop-ins.

As with any drop-in, the positive end of the cell goes toward the drop-in.

ejot

Enlightened
Can you elaborate on such a setup, and if its been proven to work. Thanks!

The ring will not fit on the Triple without modification. I trimmed an older direct drive Triple to make it work. It's a nice setup but you lose some OTF with the MD2. Not sure how the regulated drop in would behave with the ring, though.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the following setup is good for V3 triple.
Bored SF 9P + bored A19 extender + two 3.7V-18650 Li-ion rechargeable batteries(2600mAh). :)
Anyone has better idea ?
Thanks,

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
For the purposes of battery length, all of these will operate 2x18500's:

bored 9P
bored C3
bored Z3​

and all of these will operate 2x18650's:

bored 9P + bored A19
bored C3 + bored A19
bored Z3 + bored A19​

However, C's and Z's are designed with specific distances in mind, between the grip ring(s) and tailcap. Inserting an extender between the body and tailcap will change this distance. In this case, removing the spacer rings on a Z2 or Z3 will minimize this change (C2's lack this option).

Shurock

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. Is there an appreciable increase in lumens with two 18650s vs two 18500s? I need more power Scotty.

Seriously, which setup on the Z3 would you recommend?