• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

v5 Triple Scout / E Series Heads

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
AW IMR14500 are as good as AW IMR18350 for power delivery.
Assuming they fit, the only concern is the switch!

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW IMR14500 are as good as AW IMR18350 for power delivery.
Assuming they fit, the only concern is the switch!

Okeydokey.

I have a Lumensfactory E series McClicky tailcap coming in the post, which should be ok (?), but I was going to use Nitecore IMR NI 14500 cells which are rated for 6.5 amps Max discharge current.

I'd like to have AW cells, but they are a little hard to come by here in the UK - currently I can only get 18650.

Obviously I wouldn't want to create an unsafe combo, I just want to see what the Scout engine can do fully powered.

Maybe I'll use my Malkoff 1 x 14500 body instead!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Obviously I wouldn't want to create an unsafe combo, I just want to see what the Scout engine can do fully powered.

Maybe I'll use my Malkoff 1 x 14500 body instead!

My reason for saying AW above is that these have been put through their paces and I am confident in a good result. v5 includes battery monitors to protect weak sells, so the concern is not that the cell will fail so much as the protection will kick in and you'll wonder why its dimming. If you put it on full blast and it holds, the cells have passed these tests. McClicky has been extensively tested for safe consistent results.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
My reason for saying AW above is that these have been put through their paces and I am confident in a good result. v5 includes battery monitors to protect weak sells, so the concern is not that the cell will fail so much as the protection will kick in and you'll wonder why its dimming. If you put it on full blast and it holds, the cells have passed these tests. McClicky has been extensively tested for safe consistent results.

Thank you, sir.

The Engine is terrific BTW.

SwellGuy

Newly Enlightened
I know this may have been asked but I can't seem to find it. Can the 4th colored LED's brightness be adjusted? A bit more, would be a bit better for me. Thanks

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this may have been asked but I can't seem to find it. Can the 4th colored LED's brightness be adjusted? A bit more, would be a bit better for me. Thanks
If you are using red, trying amber for a tad brighter output.

rommelrommel

Newly Enlightened
I'm having some perplexing behaviour out of my newer triple E head on high, it will run for about 30 seconds and then turn off and refuse to come back on for a minute or two. It will then run for anywhere from another minute to quite a while.

I've tried using AW's and some new AWT's both and got the same behaviour. My X300 v5 doesn't act like this at all with the same batteries.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I'm having some perplexing behaviour out of my newer triple E head on high, it will run for about 30 seconds and then turn off and refuse to come back on for a minute or two. It will then run for anywhere from another minute to quite a while.

I've tried using AW's and some new AWT's both and got the same behaviour. My X300 v5 doesn't act like this at all with the same batteries.

Sorry for the difficulties. Does it only happen on high?

Most E head issues are because of the switch (60%) or the battery (30%)

Is your body one cell or two and does your body have one of these?

https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/torchlab-mcclicky-self-installation-clicky-for-z57-z61-e/

rommelrommel

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it only happens on high. It is a two cell body. I was told it was a mcclicky switch when I bought it but after your post I took it apart and turns out to be a factory switch so that is likely the problem. Thank you for the help!

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know if it is safe to run 18350 or 2 18350 batteries with this head? Or is it restricted to (1)16340 and (1) 18650 battery depending on the body?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, that 4500 CCT (my fav) plus amber is so tempting. I've had my eye on a OR E35 host but I'm not thrilled about the 2024 aluminum. Seems wrong to pair a 7075 head with a 2024 body. Any other 3rd party options? I don't have a SureFire body to cannibalize. Anything from fivemega or Solarforce?

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, that 4500 CCT (my fav) plus amber is so tempting. I've had my eye on a OR E35 host but I'm not thrilled about the 2024 aluminum. Seems wrong to pair a 7075 head with a 2024 body. Any other 3rd party options? I don't have a SureFire body to cannibalize. Anything from fivemega or Solarforce?
Why is this? I'm not aware of any issues mixing grades of aluminum, especially when anodized.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I'm not referring to metallurgy reactivity. Rather my sensibilities regarding quality and durability. 7075 is a much stronger alloy, and OR has advertised its benefits in resisting deformation. I don't know very much about 2024 but I'm assuming it's MUCH softer. Kind of like pairing your NIJ Level IV plates with a bike helmet.