Vancouver Get-together?

Bushman5

Enlightened
aaaaaah crap......i been busy trucking......dog tired...what day we meeting again? :thinking:

BTW Gunga, your at 57th & main? i'm down on east 8th near main broadway area!

Last edited:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meeting was tonight , Aug 26th.
I think there will be another in September, near UBC.
Had a great time. There was a camera present so hopefully we will get some posting of the table shot.
We sure got some strange looks from passerbys at Timmies.
Actually ended up on a short night hike through part of Delta Water Sheds.
I would be up for a Night Hike GTG.
Even had some natural lighting, or was that lightening:twothumbs

Priceless moment, after a large flash, that I pegged to be close to my house, I told the guys, "I better get going, my wife doesn't like thunder", I would say 30 seconds later my phone rang. It was her asking when I was coming home:laughing:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
John "Heckonwheels" , I had to dig in the shed, but my old riding lights were
Nightsun and the other was a Moon Unit.
The Nightsun had two larger lights and the moon unit was a single light, dual output.
Both had waterbottle sized batteries, I am guessing each battery is around 4lbs. So when I took extended night rides, I had both sets on my bike , so added around 8lbs.
My memory is getting fuzzy,must be age.
I would love to be able to night ride with todays lighting technology.

AvroArrow

Enlightened
Tonight was pretty fun. And I just tune out those other customers at Tims. :D The last time I did a night hike was back in high school many, many moons ago. I think the best light we had in our group back then was a 3 or 4D Maglight with used batteries. I had a sickly yellow 2D Duracell incan. And we all ran out of juice on the way back to camp. That sucked. Then tonight I was thinking... wow, if only I had just 1 of the lights I do now back then.

I was getting a little worried on the walk back to the cars when we didn't take the original return path and the path kept going, and going, and going... we had more than enough lights & batteries between us, but still... BTW, my Mag85 didn't blow out. I apparently didn't tighten up the 9AA-to-3D pack enough to make a full circuit. :ohgeez:

And Thanks everyone for bring out your stuff! It was cool to see some new, some old, and some custom stuff in person.

Glock45acp

Newly Enlightened
It was great getting together again, especially with a couple new faces. I did take a few pics around the table, but I have to apologize to Launch Mini and Gadgetor as I managed to miss getting any good shots of either of you. I guess I was more concerned with all the hardware on the table, LOL. Definitely looking forward to doing this again soon.

img0252hs.jpg

img0253xg.jpg

img0254rv.jpg

img0255ks.jpg

img0256m.jpg

img0257mp.jpg

I can't think of a more fitting centerpiece!

img0260y.jpg

Not a flashlight, but still pretty cool

Glock45acp

Newly Enlightened
For those that made it to our meet on thursday, you may recall me mentioning making a quick $100 on playnow.com. Just to confirm, I just cashed in $107.50 profit in 3 minutes!! It really works!! Here is the original thread from redflagdeals.com explaing how to do it:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/bclc-playnow-100-deposit-bonus-bc-only-929576/

Open to anybody in BC who is of age to legally gamble. I think a credit card is required for registration, but you don't need to charge money to it. You can make an interac deposit. The only catch is that you may be on hold for over an hour to activate your account as the online registration requires you to phone in once you create your account. If anyone wants I'll walk ya through it later.

Just thought I'd share this with everyone. Consider it the government buying your next light!

Last edited:

Gadgetor

Newly Enlightened
:party::party::party:
Alls I can say is COOL,
Nice toys everyone...
Need to get more lights,
Need to save MORE $$$$
lovecpf :thanks:

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for coming out! I had a good time checking out all the lights... Tri-V, Mr. Bulk, and Gadgetor's custom work to name a few things.

John "Heckonwheels" , I had to dig in the shed, but my old riding lights were
Nightsun and the other was a Moon Unit.
The Nightsun had two larger lights and the moon unit was a single light, dual output.
Both had waterbottle sized batteries, I am guessing each battery is around 4lbs. So when I took extended night rides, I had both sets on my bike , so added around 8lbs.
My memory is getting fuzzy,must be age.
I would love to be able to night ride with todays lighting technology.

Moon Unit? Awesome name! Both of those sound familiar, I must have come across them back when my main light fixation was with bike lights.
An extra 8 pounds? Yowch!
:party::party::party:
Alls I can say is COOL,
Nice toys everyone...
Need to get more lights,
Need to save MORE $$$$
lovecpf :thanks:

One of the coolest things was your EX10 based custom light! In the past I've thought how a longer EX10 would look and feel, and there it was. Too cool, and the extra runtime doesn't hurt either in addition to the improved ergonomics. If you ever think about making more bodies like that, let me know! :wave:

Gadgetor

Newly Enlightened
One of the coolest things was your EX10 based custom light! In the past I've thought how a longer EX10 would look and feel, and there it was. Too cool, and the extra runtime doesn't hurt either in addition to the improved ergonomics. If you ever think about making more bodies like that, let me know! :wave:

:wave:

I've been tripping over that light for almost 2 years, its designed to be a "multi source" type light & that 17500 cell just happens to fit :naughty:

Sure wish I had more time to play, really like some of the mods that are out there :thumbsup:
I liked that caribiner & that big hunk of Timascus too
That Tri-V is like unobtanium to me, so I guess I'll keep playing with the factory lights for now :shrug:

Still want to play with a few M@gs though, just need to decide, H/W or led
Cool hobby eh? :twothumbs

gunga

Flashaholic
That was tons of fun, and seeing the TriV, Haiku, and of course the Massive CDN tire HID was a ton of fun!

Let's try for a Sept meet where we can go for a little walk around UBC? Maybe Mindstretch can make this one.

Thanks all!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
That was tons of fun, and seeing the TriV, Haiku, and of course the Massive CDN tire HID was a ton of fun!

Let's try for a Sept meet where we can go for a little walk around UBC? Maybe Mindstretch can make this one.

Thanks all!
I may be heading to Vancouver some time in the next week or two and don't expect everyone to do it again so soon, but would like to at least see you and a couple of the others if you're able to find the time.

Since I'll be coming from Spokane it won't be too much out of my way to go just about anywhere you guys would want to meet. I still have a couple special lights that you might like to see! :thumbsup:

bla2000

Enlightened
It was good to meet everyone again and to see the variety of lights.

Highlights:

• Custom light with all the different batter combinations
  • Canadian Tire HID was cool but just not portable enough for me. The way the HID is held and the beam from it reminded me of Ghostbusters.
  • 6D Mag incandescent had a great beam for outdoors
  • TriV aspheric's throw is impressive

Last edited:

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened

Thanks all!

I'm in town for the fall and would definitely be up for another meet! UBC sounds good to me. I know the campus and the trails pretty well, for what it's worth.

I may be heading to Vancouver some time in the next week or two and don't expect everyone to do it again so soon, but would like to at least see you and a couple of the others if you're able to find the time.

Since I'll be coming from Spokane it won't be too much out of my way to go just about anywhere you guys would want to meet. I still have a couple special lights that you might like to see! :thumbsup:

Any update on when you might be in town?

It was good to meet everyone again and to see the variety of lights.

Highlights:

• Custom light with all the different batter combinations
  • Canadian Tire HID was cool but just not portable enough for me. The way the HID is held and the beam from it reminded me of Ghostbusters.
  • 6D Mag incandescent had a great beam for outdoors
  • TriV aspheric's throw is impressive

:D Sounds like it was worth bringing out the HID and the 6C then! Glad you enjoyed those two. They're both a bit of overkill and don't get used nearly enough, but the high power is a bit addictive. I have my sights set on even brighter setups! I'm also still drooling over that custom EX10 based light. Your collection isn't exactly shabby either! :thumbsup: Seeing the Damascus in person was too cool.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Been so busy with the house and car repairs that it's probably going to be October and maybe even November before I head back north at this rate...

Oct/Nov works better for me too. The end of this month is full of commitments already

That works fine for me; I might be able to get another mod or two done by then as well. :)

kd, feel free to bump this thread when you are planning to head back up north.

Skeptic

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to let you all know that we are having a get-together this next Saturday evening in the Seattle area. If anyone wants to join us please stop by.

We will be having a swap meet/ show and tell.

It is a potluck we will be grilling hamburgers and hotdogs. Just leave a message in the PNW thread if you or friends are interested in coming. (just so we can get an approximate count of how many hamburgers and such to provide).

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/287864