DSCN0033.JPG

DSCN0031.JPG

DSCN0026.JPG

DSCN0030.JPG

DSCN0035.JPG

justanotherguy

Enlightened
hey Fresh Light
Nice pics, whats the distance to the post in the center? I definitely want to upgrade my VP XML 3c to a VPT now....
Tony

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the width of the Turbo's head similar or even the same as the SR-90's head? Would the olight diffusor fit onto it or has anybody found a different one that will fit?
Is it worth it to de-dome the led on the turbo model and how much warmer does the tint get?

Last edited:

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Is the width of the Turbo's head similar or even the same as the SR-90's head? Would the olight diffusor fit onto it or has anybody found a different one that will fit?
Is it worth it to de-dome the led on the turbo model and how much warmer does the tint get?

The VPT has a 3" head the SR90 has a 4" approx. There is a nice gain in lux by dedoming the LED but you will also sacrifice OTF lumens. I've never noticed much of a difference in tint by dedoming with experiencing a regular VS dedomed SST90 6500k. Here is another picture.
DSCN0046.JPG

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Well, as per tolkaze's OP, which BTW the VPT pictured in the beamshots is the one rated below as the 5700K.

5700K with LED dome lens in place:
115,000 lux @ 12.84 Amps

6500K with LED dome lens removed:
165,000 lux @ 11.60 Amps

Now these are different color temps and to me the warmer ones always seem brighter to my eyes. Big C would be the one who could answer the loss of OTF lumen, but expect to get 165K Lux in a reflectored light still putting out several hundred more lumen than the Olight. Also, to answer the prev question about runtime and dimming at 15-20 min at max. Well, that's not going to happen since even with a 6oz of Cu heat sink, the light is putting out way too much heat. It will Manually need to be throttled back before that point, which I prefer as opposed to a elec nanny.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Why does your Lamda hydra with narrow optics look like it has 3 times the output as the reflector version?

If I wanted one of these for max throw what would I order? De-domed obviously to start with what about amps tint blah blah blah?

And Id like to see a shot of there TK70 in there it seems to be more of a contender than the SR90

JudasD

Enlightened
Man, that VPT puts out alot of light. its difficult to tell the differences in the hotspot between the VPT and the deft. In person does the deft still throw further? There appears to be a ton of spill on the VPT from those pictures. Do you have any pictures where you are no zoomed in?

Thanks,
JD

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know approximately how many lumens are lost when the LED is dedomed? How much lux is gained? Thanks in advance.

I tested various SST-90, SST-50, XM-L, with and without DOME.

Lux will increase 25%~~
Lumens drop 30~40%

For me personally the drop in lumens is just not worth it.

The VaraPower Turbo is my next light. Lamdalights is just very busy but hopefully next month I can have my own.
I am getting a special one made. Mine will be 16A or so. This is possible due to copper to LED bonding. I have an XR-E R2 EZ1000 pill with LED to copper bonding at 12 watts it stays nice and pure white tint. Yes, 12~13 watts out of XR-E R2:devil: Lamdalights helped with bonding them.:thumbsup:

bigC

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic

Lux will increase 25%~~
Lumens drop 30~40%

The VaraPower Turbo is my next light. Lamdalights is just very busy but hopefully next month I can have my own.
I am getting a special one made. Mine will be 16A or so. This is possible due to copper to LED bonding. I have an XR-E R2 EZ1000 pill with LED to copper bonding at 12 watts it stays nice and pure white tint. Yes, 12~13 watts out of XR-E R2:devil: Lamdalights helped with bonding them.:thumbsup:

bigC

I'm saving up for a new tv...but what great products varapower produces...Maybe someday.....

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Why does your Lamda hydra with narrow optics look like it has 3 times the output as the reflector version?

If I wanted one of these for max throw what would I order? De-domed obviously to start with what about amps tint blah blah blah?

And Id like to see a shot of there TK70 in there it seems to be more of a contender than the SR90

I think my aim on the CW Hydra was a bit different than that on the NW one. The optics are more efficient at gathering the light. I've got a few other optics that I can test, medium and wider beam. But to my eyes the CW lights always appear less bright or more sterile feeling, but it comes down to personal preference, maybe genetics or something.

I'd too like to see the VPT vs a TK70 and have thought about buying one. But as nice as it is, I think it'd be a let down. I believe the TK-70 a bit longer than the SR-90 at 15.9" v 13". If your carrying something the size and length of a cow femur, you'd expect it to be bright. For instance, the SR-90 is a really bright light, that is, iff you've not seen a VPT first. But the numbers say it all, basically the same lux as an SR-90 but with 7-800 or so more lumens. With a 3" v 4" reflector means more spill as well. I do have a Xtar D31 which is a 3MCE set up and does have some throw that I could get a distance shot maybe similar to a tk70.

Here is a shot beamshot I did of the D31. I know it's more flood but it'd be the most similar thing that I would have at this time.

D31 (3).jpg

Here is the animated SR90 and VPT .gif; barn is at 1038'
picasion.com_8df788dd0cf22178721605d27ea7a416.gif

If it's not too cold this weekend I'd like to take a few of the big lights out and take some pictures. Forecast was saying -20°F wind chill, least the LEDs will be overheating and keep my hands warm.

I've got to say that this is one of those lights that you turn on and you wonder what cars half a mile away must be thinking when you are lighting up a field or the sky. This light is the king of LEDs though. I've got 7 other LED lights that would classify as 2000 OTF and it's no contest. In person the difference is more than you can see above because the spill extends further than you can tell. But this is the only light I've ever seen that really is comparable to HID.

Last edited:

JudasD

Enlightened

Lux will increase 25%~~
Lumens drop 30~40%

bigC

I have tried searching for what this doming and de-doming means. Can someone point me to a FAQ or a post on what this entails?

How does that pill differ than what the VPT uses normally?

Thanks,
JD

justanotherguy

Enlightened
+1 to what JudasD said...

Also when you have a 'stock' VPT, how is the heat on high in normal mild temps? And what about the custom one your having built?
I love overkill, but its kinda a bummer if you can only blast away for a couple minutes at a time.....
Thanks!
Tony

JudasD

Enlightened
I am also curious why there is the desire to use either 4C or 3D batteries and not just 4D batteries? the VPT sounds awesome. Just with there was a little more info about it. I realize it is a custom build, but getting information via secret-handshake is sort of a bummer.

JD

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Ok, quick dedoming is simply removing the hard lens that is attached to power LEDs. It takes care though not to damage the substrate or bonding wires. Anyways 4c cells are used in a 3d size M@G simply for convenience and portability over a 4D size. The 4D would provide the potential for a more Amps, but these lights are pushed pretty much to the max as they are. What info/secret handshake are you looking for? Like a link? Here you are, Kevin is excellent to work with :) http://www.lambdalights.com/index.html
As far as color temps, I love the 4500k, but it in not available in the higher flux bins that the 5700 and 6500k ones are. The 6500 will provide higher lumen output and lux as mechanically measured, but from my experience the 5700 will appear brighter. So until Luminous comes out with their higher CRI SST90 and makes it available the 5700 is my personal preference.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, that VPT puts out alot of light. its difficult to tell the differences in the hotspot between the VPT and the deft. In person does the deft still throw further? There appears to be a ton of spill on the VPT from those pictures. Do you have any pictures where you are no zoomed in?

Thanks,
JD

Well I wasn't there when these lights were being fielded but you can clearly see the DEFT of solidly beating them. Look at the trees behind the pole. Notice the saturation of the colors and how you can see things back there that cannot be seen with the other lights. The DEFT was designed for spotting at distances far exceeding the target of those photos.

I'm blown away at how well the VPT did against the SR90. Looks to me that it beats it despite being much smaller which is very hard to do. Seems I will have to amend a recent post. Good job Lamda. :thumbsup:

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Well I wasn't there when these lights were being fielded but you can clearly see the DEFT of solidly beating them. Look at the trees behind the pole. Notice the saturation of the colors and how you can see things back there that cannot be seen with the other lights. The DEFT was designed for spotting at distances far exceeding the target of those photos. I'm blown away at how well the VPT did against the SR90. Looks to me that it beats it despite being much smaller which is very hard to do. Seems I will have to amend a recent post. Good job Lamda. :thumbsup:
Here they all are. No question the DEFT is the best thrower I have and the VPT is the best reflector LED light yet. The VPT with the aspheric, no reflector, looks like a tv projector image but brighter. I think that's what the sst LEDs are being used for in some applications. I think it really looks less bright than the image shows it to be. VPT is much better with the reflector, it would take an enormous lens to collimate that die.
DSCN0053.JPG

DSCN0054.JPG

DSCN0055.JPG

DSCN0057.JPG

picasion.com_c5b345219bc5af2c204776c3e5b906ce.gif

Q5 Pill1.jpg

DSCN0074.JPG

DSCN0071.JPG

DSCN0072.JPG

DSCN0073.JPG

DSCN0075.JPG

Last edited: