vert v. horz color shift?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a set of h7 55w 4300k Ebay kits for my vector twin and was playing with the bare bulb and noticed an extreme color shift between horizontal and vertical positions ( 4300 with bulb up and closer to 5500 when flat)
Anyone else had this issue?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a set of h7 55w 4300k Ebay kits for my vector twin and was playing with the bare bulb and noticed an extreme color shift between horizontal and vertical positions ( 4300 with bulb up and closer to 5500 when flat)
Anyone else had this issue?
my Ryobi One+ hid changes colours when its tilted up or down, or even if the bulb is rotated horizontally

Patriot

Flashaholic
That's a pretty extreme color shift. Perhaps not that bad but I've seen it before usually with very under driven lamps.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by (phyhsuts 11-26-03)
The HID lamp used is a metal halide lamp. This is essentially a high pressure Mercury lamp with halide salts of various metals whose purpose is to produce light of the desired colour. These salts are solids at room temperature. so storing the lamp in any position is not going to make any difference to the gas mix when the arc tube is hot.
The colour patches are due to the fact that the vapours of these salts have different densities so the relative concentration is different for different parts of the arc tube. The lower density gas will be more concentrated in the upper part and the denser vapour will be more concentrated at the lower part. Now "upper" and "lower" is relative. If you turn the lamp upsidedown, then the gases will move to re-establish their balance. Thus the curious "movement" that you observe. More confused now??

All salted HID's pretty much experience color shift with orientation..... Hope this helps :)

Later
Kelly

Last edited:

Latest posts