Very Few New Posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_20180429_082949.jpg

Nice, nice, nice to see the search bar again.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I think part of the decline we are seeing is that the "Amazon-ifi-cation" of lights has made anybody's dollar go further in pure lumens, but Amazon and e-Bay will never replace the talents of skilled modders and the very particular type of knowledge they bring to the table.
Eh, this has been going on for nearly 15 years. I first noticed it when Mag-Lite gave up their previously-exclusive half-aisle at Target over the course of a few years: LED went from fiddly angry-blue showerhead things to powerhouses rivaling incandescent. It did not take long for the commentary on CPF to drop off. All of this generally follows the technology adoption curve: CPF represented the innovators and early adopters; by the time that early and late majority rolled around it was all routine and thus not as interesting as it was when it was all just-within-reach possibility that took unusual special effort to make happen.

It wasn't too long after this that the custom makers and modders started feeling the squeeze and largely moved on to niches that the market wasn't covering - exotic materials, upping their design game, and generally doing much more than the now less-than-novel concept of putting a LED into an incandescent flashlight body.

The flashlight that a CPF'er typically buys is still different than the average person - better design, better performance, and typically more expensive.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, the challenges of posting photos and photo bucket represent an opportunity.

I don't have time to goof around finding a host, figuring it out, and then linking.

If there was a relatively easy and inexpensive way (say $5 / month) that I could post (some) photos right into the forum, hosted by cpf that could make it more interesting. I am not quite sure how to tie the concept of "no longer paying - no longer showing the photos" but maybe there is a way.

I have other hobby and business interests that are sort of historically related to my flash light hobby, but now really more emergency power / solar oriented. If there was a good way to do some professional marketing related to those on CPF that could be interesting, but honestly with the declining use, it is tougher to justify and a bit harder to implement non flash light related products.

As an example, I hosted a CPF + conversion van get together - only 2-3 people from CPF even replied to the thread, and I think one person from CPF showed up to a party with free food and drinks. 10 years ago we would have gotten a house full.

Last edited:

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
As a frequent poster turned ghost, what Bdm82 said about less new stuff really rings true. At one point I checked back literally months after my last visit, and I saw that nothing really changed in the flashlight world- incremental changes at most. Similar lights available, similar questions, and when you feel like you have already spoken your piece on a topic it gets harder to bring yourself to make a meaningful post.

The mainstream acceptance of social media and non-forum communications for niche groups like Reddit and Discord groups also probably has increased competition, drawing some users away. That isn't intrinsically bad, but it does lead to slower posting.

I don't think CPF would die so easily. As long as there are modders, supporters, new people who don't know NiMH from INR, etc. it will probably keep going. Demand might slow, but there is still demand.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think its a combination of things. New stuff, but all quite similar in therms of caliber for flashaholics and cheapy stuff for those looking for anything that emits light.
Could it be a sign that people are actually using the search function?

On other forums, there is a constant barrage of the same questions over and over again from people that don't care to search. As a result, the forum is quite diluted of any deeper knowledge and quite boring to view.

I'd rather have it the way it is here.

Greta

Flashaholic

If there was a relatively easy and inexpensive way (say $5 / month) that I could post (some) photos right into the forum, hosted by cpf that could make it more interesting. I am not quite sure how to tie the concept of "no longer paying - no longer showing the photos" but maybe there is a way.

There is! It's called a "Supporter Badge" - ;)

hyeTotum

Newly Enlightened
When things slow down...

...that's when I'm back on the scene (after years away!)

And BTW, where are my RED SHOES? :shrug::)

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Personally, I think everyone that enjoys this place should get one, and certainly not be able to criticise it without.

While you're here Greta, is there a way for attachments to display images within the post rather than this? Obviously I can insert images the way I do now, just never managed it with the "Manage Attchments" method.

P

Attachments

• HDS.jpg
    HDS.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

Greta

Flashaholic

While you're here Greta, is there a way for attachments to display images within the post rather than this? Obviously I can insert images the way I do now, just never managed it with the "Manage Attchments" method.

P

I think I fixed it? ;)

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks - I will re-read this section again and related guidelines.

Just an idea - the forum and forum sales areas are very "flashlight" focused. Perhaps there is a way to expand the concept to include more product areas - for example emergency power, camping equipment, forge / knife making - essentially the same areas that the forum has expanded into for the non flashlght areas. Perhaps the concept is already there and I just need to read things again in more depth to properly use what already exists.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, hope my post wasn't taken as criticism - my goal is to help strengthen the forum in a positive way.
No Sir,
I was more on about the people who pile in with the "CPF Slow" threads and all that stuff. If they don't support it what do they expect.
There's no such thing as a free lunch.
P

Greta

Flashaholic
Thanks - I will re-read this section again and related guidelines.

Just an idea - the forum and forum sales areas are very "flashlight" focused. Perhaps there is a way to expand the concept to include more product areas - for example emergency power, camping equipment, forge / knife making - essentially the same areas that the forum has expanded into for the non flashlght areas. Perhaps the concept is already there and I just need to read things again in more depth to properly use what already exists.

Well... there's the WTS: Gadgetry/Multitools Watches/Pens/Other forum. And then there is the WTS: Edged Tools & Knives forum also.

Yes... you really should have more of a look around... ;)

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi, not an expert on photos and such - but isn't 1 megabyte - just one, medium resolution photo?

Again - just a wild idea intended to be supportive - is there a way to offer an option for more like 1 Gb vs 1 mb for a fee?

Also - I wonder if someone is paying to be a dealer / mfg - does it potentially make sense that they can reply in normal threads, at least some? At least in my mind, this would have value.

Just trying to throw out ideas for helping to expand the forum, not criticize its operation.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've raised this issue before, if the for-sale forum became free to all, it would increase traffic significantly. Like the craigslist model. Free posts instead of having to buy membership.

I think the fee situation limits the users of the classifieds section just to the hard-core dedicated, committed members. I don't know that it's shrinking but it does not appear to grow.

Remove the fee restriction and watch membership grow and participation increase. The buy-sell forum is like the shopping mall anchor.

then we could still raise annual funds on a voluntary basis like other forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.