• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

vinhnguyen54 Olight SR90/SR91 SST-90 Swap to SBT-90 for Greater Throw Service PHOTOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Re: vinhnguyen54 Olight SR90/SR91 SST-90 Swap to SBT-90 for Greater Throw Service

it works good in a cooly, i have mine in a cooly now... running on a 26650 imr mnke 4ah battery... gets warm after about 3 minutes. gets hot after about 10-12 minutes depending if the cell is fresh or not. I would guestimate its about 800-900 lumens just by eye, but dedomed it has a nice vanilla white tint :) very pleasing to look at... and its throwy

If the dome stays on lumen should increase about 50% but less throw and the tint will be more cool white than vanilla white.

mr.lumen

Enlightened
Re: vinhnguyen54 Olight SR90/SR91 SST-90 Swap to SBT-90 for Greater Throw Service

ok so i think ill try it on my own then. could you post a step by step, if its beyond my ability i will just send it to you. and i will get the sst90 no de domed in the drop in. if i can do the mod my self ill mail you the sst90 or if i send you my light you can do it together. thank you for all your help guys.

mr.lumen

Enlightened

also im on a little bit of a time crunch so when i went to the mouser site it says 39 can ship immediately but factory lead time was 4 weeks. did you have to wait 4 weeks for yours or did they ship immediately?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Only took me 3-5 days to get it.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
How to do a SBT LED swapped in the SR90

1. Turn bezel counter clockwise to remove.
  2. Remove glass and leave upside down. Do not touch the inside.
  3. Remove oring with a small flat head
  4. Flip light over so reflector would fall out. Do not touch the inside of the reflector with anything.
  5. The LED is held down with two bracket and screw. Remove them.
  6. Prop the LED up and desolder the leads. If the LED if not prop all of the heat from yoru iron will sink down into the heat sink.
  7. Clip the PCB of the LED on a pair of tweezer. Use a lighter to heat up the bottom until the solder under the LED melt. You can push the LED off with any object.
  8. Melt the SBT onto the same spot as the step above. Be aware of polarity.
  9. Once the SBT is melted back onto the PCb go ahead and reinstall everything as you have removed. Remember to add additional thermal paste under the LED.

mr.lumen

Enlightened
interesting doesnt seem tooo hard... what is the pcb? i took the light apart but i did not desolder the leads yet so i can see under that board the led is adhered to. and i talked to luminus they said they will give me a sample of the sst90 p bin but they have not written back with specifics yet. so if i can get it i will probably use that instead of the sbt.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
How to do a SBT LED swapped in the SR90

1. Turn bezel counter clockwise to remove.
  2. Remove glass and leave upside down. Do not touch the inside.
  3. Remove oring with a small flat head
  4. Flip light over so reflector would fall out. Do not touch the inside of the reflector with anything.
  5. The LED is held down with two bracket and screw. Remove them.
  6. Prop the LED up and desolder the leads. If the LED if not prop all of the heat from yoru iron will sink down into the heat sink.
  7. Clip the PCB of the LED on a pair of tweezer. Use a lighter to heat up the bottom until the solder under the LED melt. You can push the LED off with any object.
  8. Melt the SBT onto the same spot as the step above. Be aware of polarity.
  9. Once the SBT is melted back onto the PCb go ahead and reinstall everything as you have removed. Remember to add additional thermal paste under the LED.

I had this picture of my sr90, feel free to use it as needed. Maybe it can help show what you are doing.

DSCN0074.JPG

mr.lumen

Enlightened
interesting mine is a little bit different. so the green thing the led is sitting on needs to come off the heatsink then needs to be heated to get the led off of it? and put the new led on it and reheat so it solders it. i just dont understand what the pbc is that you want clipped.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

The price on the SBT just drop on $57.12 from 62.98, But shipping is not free anymore. Shipping is $7 now I think. arghh

mr.lumen

Enlightened

still waiting to see if i can get the sst90 p bin...well see. also you still didnt tell me what the pbc is and how to clip it. thats the only part i dont get.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

still waiting to see if i can get the sst90 p bin...well see. also you still didnt tell me what the pbc is and how to clip it. thats the only part i dont get.

PCB is the board that the LED is soldered on

mr.lumen

Enlightened

so what is there to clip on it? In mine once you desolder the leads and unscrew the brackets it comes up freely

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

so what is there to clip on it? In mine once you desolder the leads and unscrew the brackets it comes up freely

N/M it if u got it loose. :)

mr.lumen

Enlightened

ok cool :) well if i cant get this sst90 im still having trouble then im just gonna go with the sbt90 ill keep you posted :)

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened

Wait so the SR90 at 1400lm and the SR95 at over 2000 is just from the LED bin??? Theoretically you should be able to make something that throws like a de-dome and has as many lumens (possibly more) as the old SR90 before de-dome by de-domeing the higher bin led then.

How does this mod compare to just a de-dome throw wise? (other than the tint shift)

Agree. I didnt even care for the less lumen. All I care for is how intense the hot spot is. Plenty of light in the spill already. The only reason I want a light this big like the SR90 is THROW. As for Sr90 SBT VS SR90UT I am not entirely sure. I don't know how to push the SBT harder in the SR90 without messing up the UI.
What if I don't care about the UI? I have smaller lights for that lol. Could you run it harder and just make it 1 mode, on or off?

I'v been looking at getting a VaraPower Turbo but I think its clear that for throw the SR90's huge reflector is a big advantage.

Last edited:

mr.lumen

Enlightened

im still on a mission to do this mod, but i am still waiting to hear back from luminus about getting a p bin srt 90. if that fails im getting the sbt90 is this the one you order?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Luminus-Devices/SBT-90-W65S-F71-MA102/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujcp59bLk5eqZk8lDKC5YkUT3H2%252b3hzjRE6eikELP1pzNWlpueGLp3q

it says 1380lm at 9amps so since the sr90 pushes it around 7 were probably getting what 1100 emitter lumens? 900-1000 otf? just curious i know its worth throw wise which is the point of this light.

mr.lumen

Enlightened
sorry 1485lm so 1200ish emitter and 1000ish otf???? i dont know how to figure that stuff out mathematically, i wish i did :-/

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
sorry 1485lm so 1200ish emitter and 1000ish otf???? i dont know how to figure that stuff out mathematically, i wish i did :-/

I dont knwo abotu lumen rating but My Olight SBT-90 is very bright! I would guess though that its about 1200-1300 lumen.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Yours must be a newer style PCB where the LED seem to sit on brass post. Mine just sit on a regular large PCB.

I had this picture of my sr90, feel free to use it as needed. Maybe it can help show what you are doing.

DSCN0074.JPG

mr.lumen

Enlightened
what do you think about this emitter? is it a newer bin of the sbt on mouser? on mouser its not in stock on digikey its in stock. it lists 1538lms ar 9amp. cost more too. 78 bucks. what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.