Violet-emitting laser pointers now commercial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just received the latest Think Geek catalogue, and on page 15 is a violet-emitting laser pointer beiong sold for just under $150.00.

This link has it.

Apparently, it is larger in diameter than the photographs on the website and the one in the catalogue depict; it is advertised to require two CR2 cells for power. According to the website, the size is 5.9" long by 0.625" in diameter.
But the violet laser pointer has landed (beyond the Sonar series being sold by Wicked Lasers). :thumbsup: :party: :thumbsup:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Very cool, although it uses those CR2 batteries. I think the average user is going to be disappointed by this when they need to replace them.

farmall

Enlightened
Why would you want a laser that shoots flowers??

Thank you... I'll be here all week. Try the veal. Good night.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Given that violet is at the high end of the visible light spectrum, violet light photons are the most energetic.

I'm wondering if these pointers are significantly more dangerous as a consequence. I worry about laser pointers since it's possible to accidentally shine them in your eyes via reflections from mirrors, shiny surfaces, glass, chrome etc.

Just wondering.... :duck:

badhorsey

Newly Enlightened
I've actually ordered two - a 5mw and a 100mw. I'll report back when they arrive...

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is like, the 5th time that I've seen that there are new posts in this thread. Stop getting my hopes up!!:duh2:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I got the <5mW from ThinkGeek, and it is not a very good unit. First, it feels flimsy. Then, the beam is not that well focussed, it has a halo of some sort and a rather bif speckled spot. Also, it is not bright. dimmer than a standard red.

Well, not worth it to me. Cool color, but useless pointer for presentations.

bernie

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You rip it apart yet? :popcorn:

if you don't, that's totally fine. My only green I got too curious (only a week after I got it!) and managed to misalign the crystal. Never could get it right again...

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
I got the <5mW from ThinkGeek, and it is not a very good unit. First, it feels flimsy. Then, the beam is not that well focussed, it has a halo of some sort and a rather bif speckled spot. Also, it is not bright. dimmer than a standard red.

Well, not worth it to me. Cool color, but useless pointer for presentations.

bernie

Personally I don't think anything less than 100mW of 405 is worth having; just not visible enough. Even 445nm is a bit dim under 100mW. I wish there was some way to bring the 445nm diode prices down.

Definatly looking forward to a review from the "review master". :candle: I am interested to see the comparson between a DIY model and a "retail" model.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Unfortunately I use them lasers for presentations, so anything more than 5mW is not possible. So the 405 is out :green:
bernie

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
What you need is a nice lil 3mW 594nm pointer.
icon6.gif
They tend to be a bit on the expensive side, although someone could probably fake one for you with a 1mW green and 3mW red...

Status
Not open for further replies.