VSS-3(A) Lamps on Ebay - Rare

BVH

Flashaholic
Just found these on Ebay. Only the 2nd time since 2004 that I have seen any for sale on Ebay.

w.ebay.com/itm/272330198410?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Add the two "w"'s in front of the partial link

danthexenonorc

Newly Enlightened
I also saw one of these light but i did't buy it because they were 1000, and also because this light came without a ballast.

BVH

Flashaholic
The complete lights aren't too difficult to find but the control boxes are and up until now, spare lamps have been very rare to find. Then making the cables is quite another story. Expensive connectors and lots of hours fabricating.

danthexenonorc

Newly Enlightened
All in all I would feel more comfortable making my own searchlight with parts that I know are quality and easy to find.

BVH

Flashaholic
There's no searchlight of this size, output and price that comes anywhere close in "quality" of parts to the VSS-3A. When you look at the "innards" of this light, it just exudes quality. However, parts availability IS an issue but not insurmountable.

danthexenonorc

Newly Enlightened
Well I see your point, it is a tank light and those should be built to withstand some pretty stressing situations. But when I look at searchlight and such, I am not looking for a light that can survive a fall of a couple feet, because if I take care of it and use it like its intended purpose, that should never happen.

BVH

Flashaholic
Received my two lamps in very good packaging from Israel. They appear to be brand new, no marks on the flat part of the Anode and the Cathode is sharp as a pin. All the quartz looks in very good condition whereas some of the lamps I've seen have a lot of small imperfections in the stem quartz. Both install/removal pins are perfect. If you're on the fence about a spare lamp, I would not hesitate at $125 apiece, to your U.S. door when buying two.