WA bulbs: Group buy: Final list

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lemlux,

thx for the update

Did you looekd into using the 3/4 " reflector and shortening it to fit the 1/2" height or would this screw up the geometry ?

Just a thought

Klaus

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read on there that a #01148 and a #01315 will work on a DB 4 AA that is modified to run 6 123a's. Is this correct?

If so, anyone have any extra 01148 or 01315 bulbs to sell me? If so, how much?

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris,

lemlux is da man
grin.gif

Klaus

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris:

As posted in the other thread (420 Lumen Light Review)I currently have no excess 01315's and wouldn't be ready to participate in another group buy before August.

If you wanted to mix and match (and subject yourself to the the risks of cell polarity reversal), you could buy any or all of my W/A 9.0 V 1.1 A 02178 bulbs. These are too dim with 8 NiMH cells in serial but are nice with 9 in serial. You could run them in serial in a DB4AA with 4 @ 123's and (edit) 2 123 dummies

You could run them more brightly in a DB6AA with 3@ 123's and 2 AA's (alkaline, lithium, or Rechargeable) on each side. In this configuration you'd get around 300 L and 2 to 2 1/2 hours run time before the 123's were spent.

If you used old alkalines, you'd run the risk of alkaline cell leakage if the cells fell below 0.7 V.

If you run NiMH's with lesser charged capacity than the 1400 mAh capacity of the 123's you subject yourself to the the risks of cell polarity reversal and destruction on the NiMH's.)

If you used fresh lithium AA's, they would be half used AA's when the 123's were dead.

If I went this way, I'd use alkalines with a light that was in inside storage, I'd use alkaline AA's in a light left in my car, and I'd use NiMH's with a flashlight prepared in the week of use.

If no one wants my 02178's, the preceding is what I'll do with them. They would have emergency use status only.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris,

seems the 01315s Lemux has are spoken for - as I guess the two 01148s he got - I do have some excess supply of 01148´s but IMO it makes no sense to ship single bulbs cross-atlantik as the postage makes it too expensive. I might be sending more bulbs to lemlux (not shure on that) in which case you and him might arrange something ?

Klaus

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. Thanks. It's nice to know my options are open and that all I need is money....

now, where did I put that money tree
tongue.gif

ake

Newly Enlightened
Just to update. All bulbs have been sent to all buyers so please let me know when you get them.

Thanks,
Ake

kubolaw

Enlightened
Ake -

Got my bulbs on Thursday. Thanks to you and Lemlux!

Just for reference purposes: I ordered only the MiniMag 01121 lamps, and I tried plugging them in yesterday. After reading Lemlux's previous posts about installation difficulties I was a bit worried, but I didn't have any problems. Cut off a bit of the leads, folded them in two, and stuck them through the existing lamp socket of the MiniMag. I did stick a dowel into the MiniMag body to hold the switch in place during this installation, but other than that, I didn't do any modification. The leads seemed to be rigid enough span the small gap between the switch cover (the "do not remove" portion of the switch) and the actual sockets.

The actual performance, however, was somewhat disappointing. While the output was significantly greater than the stock MiniMag bulb, compared to the NexStar lamp, there was only the barest of improvement (freshly charged Nexcell 1800mAh NiMHs in each). Perhaps this has a lot to do with the reflector not being optimized for this larger lamp, since I also found that the beam quality was significantly worse than the NexStar lamp - huge hole in the center of the beam, and I could only eliminate this hole by focusing the beam down to a really tight spot. Comparing the two lamps (WA and NexStar) side by side in candle mode, the WA lamp seems to generate more light from a larger source, but the difference is not immediately obvious.

I'll play around with these lamps some more, but at this stage, I'd recommend the Brinkmann NexStars over them for anyone looking to improve their MiniMag quality. Cheaper, similar output, better beam quality, easier replacement, "spareable" (i.e., fits in the existing MiniMag spare compartment), and no lead/reflector manipulation required. Once I get around to ordering a Carley reflector I might change my mind, however (although I'm still surprised that the similarity in total light output between the two lamps - perhaps I need to work on the switch interface a little more for the WA bulb).

John

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kubolaw:

I agree about the marginal brightness impact of the 01121's. Lithiums run them brighter than NiMH's but I wish I hadn't spent the money for 4 of them.

It's funny that they do run hot and warm up the head more than the brightness would suggest. Carley's comments that wattage is the key determinant of heat appears to be true. It was also curious that when I ran 2@ panasonic 1100 mAh NiCads the body heated up much more than it did with 1800 mAh NiMHs'

At least the pushbutton end cap solved my problem with the mangled remove" cap.

BTW: I've decided not to buy a Carley reflector for the 01121. It just doesn't seem worth the effort and money and the Mag reflector hasn't melted.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it worked once, so I'll try it again...

Does anyone have any extra bulbs from the last group buy that they don't need? Specifically, I'm looking for:

Thanks!

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lemlux - guess the NiCds based on their typically better high-drain characteristic can supply a higher current than the NiMhs @ less voltage drop resulting in more Watts V * A.

Maybe NiCd with 900ma might even do better as those seem to use the solid Nickel terminal instead of the high-cap NiCds "foam" type (which are similar to the NiMhs) resulting in possibly even better high-drain capabilities.

Chris - if I possibly do sent more stuff to lemlux I could include 01148 bulbs.

Klaus

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
ChrisM:

Now that I've allowed Klaus to convince me that I'm being clever using dummies in DB's (rather than just wasting space) I've become fond of the 01278 9.0V 1.1A in both a serial DB4AA with 4 123's and 2 @ 2/3 A dummies and in a parallel DB6AA with 3@ 123's, and alkaline AA, and a foil wad on each side.

I won't know if my single 01148 is surplus until I play with Carley reflectors.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright.

Does anyone have a Carley 912 T-2 1/2 bipin to PR adapter?

Any ideas about when the next group buy will be for Carley lamps?

Now, just to clarify, part #01148 is a Carley lamp, correct? If so, why can't I find it on their web site but I CAN find it on Welchallyn's web site...
confused.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ake,

Received mine today, 10 days in transit as expected.

Thanks.

ake

Newly Enlightened
EMS = Extremly and Meanly Slow.

Should have safe a lot sending you global priority mail instead.

Well, at least good to hear that you get them.

Ake

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I recently participated in this group buy ( thanks Ake and Lemlux) in which I purchased WA bulbs, #01121 2.4V 1.1A 28L and #01319 4.8 V 1.92 A 204 L.

Ake (quote), "This mod will make the MiniMag about as bright as an E1." !!

The minimag bulb went in OK and the result was very pleasing. Very white bright light compared to stock .43A. NiMh's will run it for about 90 mins.

Put the #01319 into my 8DB with NiMh's. Much brighter smoother and slightly larger beam. Noticeable improvement in UK 400 over stock 6w.

No more lights until someone comes out with a 2 X 123 5W Luxeon!!
(except the Surge that's due shortly)
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

ake

Newly Enlightened
Ake (quote), "This mod will make the MiniMag about as bright as an E1." !!

Toby, I don't recall I said that though. Also I don't have E1. Maybe it was someone else in our group.

Glad you like it. Hope it 's worth the hassle.

Ake

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Toby:

I'm also glad you're happy. If you have a DB6AA or DB8AA set up in parallel try the 01319 with 5 NiMHs and 1 or 3 dummies. It will draw about 5.1 V instead of 4.6 or 4.7 V in a parallel DB8AA. The brightness difference is significant.

On the other hand, the 01319 should have a very long life the way you're using it.