Wall St gets H1N1 vaccine before everyone else

paulr

Flashaholic
http://www.citizensforethics.org/node/43232

"Today, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) asked Health and Human Service (HHS) Secretary Kathleen Sebelius to investigate why the Center for Disease Control (CDC) approved the distribution of the H1NI vaccine to Wall Street firms at a time when the vaccine is unavailable to most Americans." ...

I can't friggin believe this.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to go out on a limb and say that it makes sense in a weird sort of way, because an outbreak at wall street, indeed, any major financial center of the world, will cause a LOT of strain on the already fragile economy, which the world cant really afford at the moment.

Crenshaw

Gatsby

Enlightened
I suspect Crenshaw may have the answer but, after taxpayers have ponied up a ton of cash, followed by the amazing levels of hubris and insult displyed in recent bonus announcements, well, I can understand why some might be more inclined to intentionally infect the major brokerage houses with H1N1 rather than innoculate them against it...

Empath

Flashaholic
I suspect there may be other states in a similar situation, but the people of Oregon were shocked to find that Oregon's prisons get the vaccine before everyone else.

It seems rather obscene to insure our felons' health, while the non-criminal citizens are suffering from and dying of a lack of vaccine.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I can believe it. Rich people are more important than everyone else so of course they should get priority.

Sadly, that's the way it is in this country.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it really matter? With a false diagnosis rate approaching 97% in some states, this "Epidemic" is questionable, to say the least.

What's a more serious issue is that people who've been told they have had the H1N1, and think they're immune, but are actually still susceptible, due to a false or assumed diagnosis.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect there may be other states in a similar situation, but the people of Oregon were shocked to find that Oregon's prisons get the vaccine before everyone else.

It seems rather obscene to insure our felons' health, while the non-criminal citizens are suffering from and dying of a lack of vaccine.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that this is actually a good decision. People in crowded areas with moderate availability to good sanitation are a higher risk - which applies to the exchange, to prisons, and to a college campus. I am in no way defending wall st., and that rant could go forever.

These are also the age range where there are indications of exceptionally bad cases being more common. I don't know why - but this is reality.

Keep in mind that it does not take much to become a felon anymore, and the difference between what felons have done, and what many others have done, is increasingly tied to their ability to legally and socially defend themselves. Nonetheless, a prison simply could not care for a mass outbreak of a serious flu and trasmission is far too likely given the crowded conditions.

Illum

Flashaholic
I expect any place where you have more people sandwiched in a small location than the fire code allows for a good portion of the day is going to have the same issue.

lets not forget that within short proximity the H1N1 can be ejected airbourne simply by sneezing or distributed by the sender simply licking his/her finger to separate pages of a flyer:whistle:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it really matter? With a false diagnosis rate approaching 97% in some states, this "Epidemic" is questionable, to say the least.

What's a more serious issue is that people who've been told they have had the H1N1, and think they're immune, but are actually still susceptible, due to a false or assumed diagnosis.

I couldn't agree more. However, this doesn't apply to only the U.S. A pandemic is spreading across Ukraine that some think may be Pneumonic Plaugue but they are treating it like H1N1. The President is about ready to declare martial law and distribute H1N1 vaccinations to the population while banning all other treatments. Pneumonic Plague is a bacteria and can be cured with antibiotics. H1N1 is a virus that can't be cured by antibiotics. Misdiagnosis, if this is actually the case, can kill a lot of people by preventing them from getting the correct treatment they need to live. So far, it seems that this pandemic has killed 95 people and infected 478,000. Here's where I got those statistics: http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert_read.php?cid=23630
Here is the President of Ukraine's address to his people about the pandemic:http://www.president.gov.ua/en/news/15609.html

Last edited:

SirJMD

Newly Enlightened
I can believe it. Rich people are more important than everyone else so of course they should get priority.

Sadly, that's the way it is in this country.

Its all about priority. If wall st goes down, youre gonna have a HUGE problem. The dollar will drop, and it will drop fast.

I havent gotten the shot yet, but i think think that people with important jobs, needs to get the vaccine first.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
I think people in law enforment, EMT's, fireman, hospital employees, doctors, government officals, college faculty, students in general, ages that are most susceptable, and so on should be the first to get the vaccine since there's a limited supply. Wall Street makes sense. People in prison doesn't really make sense other than it may run rampant there, but theiy're not really the age group most at risk.

One problem that I see is that if the vaccine has some serious side effects now or later on, then all of the above will be at risk for that and then we would have a really big problem. I feel the they're taking too much time to get drugs on the market, but if they go too far the other way then the above can happen. Kinda like the chickenpox vaccine and shingles.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its all about priority. If wall st goes down, youre gonna have a HUGE problem. The dollar will drop, and it will drop fast.

I havent gotten the shot yet, but i think think that people with important jobs, needs to get the vaccine first.
exactly.....

In a perfect world, there would BE no h1n1, but I want to restate my point again...

at this point, the world is sort of just starting to limp on economically, and even start to recover, covering wall street from H1N1, whatever the people might be like there, is a long term thing, so that Nothing happens there, and therefore, the economy can go on. I shudder to think what would happen to the world economy if any major financial center was hit now.

and also, regarding those in prison, did anyone else watch the dark knight?

remember that boat scene?

Crenshaw

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
:nana: They didn't get it before me.

Uproar in canada that players for sports corporations like calgary flames were immunized. But through-out history we'll always find that wealth / privileged power get what they want.

How available is the vaccine where *YOU* are? Globally I'd be very interested in people reporting in. I'm certian its a story that changes dramatically with shifting perspectives.

Me, I was against it, I am healthy adult male who avoids regular flu shots, but I'm a first responder too. This week work had me in two hospital's emergency department, an urgent care department, on two 911 calls with police, transferring a bleeding client to paramedics.
But my main reason? I'm going on dive vacation over the holidays and knew that having up-to-date vaccinations was good preparation.

Last edited: