Want to buy Surefire rechargeable. BUT......

kalengkong

Newly Enlightened
i have 9AN which i purchase about 6 month ago.
overall its good. but I wish the battery would last longer.

if you not using it for about 30 days, it will have a very weak power.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Brightnorm,

I am currently recommending the Streamlight Stinger XT HP for general duty use with the expectation of ocassional tactical application. The rear switch makes for quick indexing.

I know it does not answer your question directly.

I am a diehard user of the Surefire 9N, but I would not recommned it due to the high cost of acquisiton and the battery issues. My 9N (provided to me as gift from a long-time friend) still uses the B92 battery stick without any problems.

Unless prepared to endure the inconvenience of the odd shape while carrying it on body, the Surefire 10X is not in the same category as the Stinger HP.

Another consideration that I often parlay is expendability. If the flashlight that you are carrying gets lost, irreparably damaged, or stolen, issue of cost should not be a great one.

I have no qualms about giving away any one of my lights to someone I truly believe would have better use of it than myself.

If I lose any one of them, I just buy another without a second thought.

If I had to use the light for a battering ram in an exigent circumstance, I would do so without hesitation. I have heard it said by many outside of this board that they would not buy the Surefire 10X for this very reason. But then again, these folk are not flashaholics.
wink.gif

road__kill

Newly Enlightened
I have the surefire 9AN415-HA and love it. The run time is about 35 min on average so get some extra batteries. The only draw back with it so far is that the batteries lose their charge if you let them sit around for a while. But I can live with that when you look at the way the other surefire's burn through the
123 batteries.

ygbsm

Enlightened
Why can't SF go back to making the B92? I haven't had any problems with either of mine.

It makes me wonder what I could get for them on ebay. Maybe I could afford a new car (or even a couple of A2s) if I sold them on ebay.
smile.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've posted several times that I am very happy with a 3 cell SF extended with 2 @ A19's driving a P61 with 4 @ rechargeable Panasonic 2000 mAh NiMH 4/5 A cells. This runs for about 40 minutes.

This is much more impressive than the 8X I sold months ago.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by .:
Brightnorm,

I am currently recommending the Streamlight Stinger XT HP for general duty use with the expectation of ocassional tactical application. The rear switch makes for quick indexing.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">KT,

That's good enough for me.

BN

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by lemlux:
I've posted several times that I am very happy with a 3 cell SF extended with 2 @ A19's driving a P61 with 4 @ rechargeable Panasonic 2000 mAh NiMH 4/5 A cells. This runs for about 40 minutes.

This is much more impressive than the 8X I sold months ago.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Lemlux,

That sounds good, but the length would be a problem for me

BN

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by gb6491:
.....I think I might get a Stinger with the new reflector to retire the 8X ($5 a lamp vice $20).
Regards,
Greg
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Greg,

This seems to be the way to go.

BN

brightnorm

Flashaholic
It sounds to me that except for the X10, Surefire
is scr*wing themselves out of the rechargeable field.

I will never understand this way of running a business.

Brightnorm

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
My recommendation would be to find an old, used original 9N, (the forerunner of the 9AN). They come up for sale frequently because everyone wants "new" which isn't necessarily better. I bought a NOS one last year at a sale for our rural county's sheriff dept. It was one of the old originals that even came with a car mount/charging system. They are great and the newer 9AN can't touch the original 9N's build quality. I got rid of my 6R because the 9N blows it away as far as run time. The only problem they had was the old LA's would blow unexpectedly, (and what a mess!), but SF remedied that with the later LA"s but it gave the original 9N's a bad reputation they didn't deserve. I keep it in my car, (and even in sub-freezing temeratures), and have dropped it and banged it around plenty and the newer LA is still hanging in there. Luckily, I have two of the old original batteries for it and they have no problems and still hold a complete charge. They don't ever seem to wear out!

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have never been given the impression that SureFire make ilumination tool because they want to make money, or want to run a business.

In fact, sometimes I get the impression that SureFire find that having a business is a real pain in the arse. They make torches and back them up with customer service and a massive continuous improvement program. I can understand that they may not be so good at other things.

Al

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Gene:
......original 9N, ..... Luckily, I have two of the old original batteries.....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And now there's no decent battery!

BN

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Originally posted by .
Another consideration that I often parlay is expendability. If the flashlight that you are carrying gets lost, irreparably damaged, or stolen, issue of cost should not be a great one.
[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've never really thought about it that way. Hmm, maybe I should buy a cheaper gun too just in case I lose it?
tongue.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Yoshi (Surefire M6),
The last time I mentioned a firearm in this BB, someone wandered Waaayyyyy off topic with a response.
Let's keep this ON topic. We can leave the gun stuff at the many firearms related BBs.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
smile.gif
grin.gif

Your response will eventually lead to what Bill Jordan professed in a generation looong past. Rest in peace, Bill.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It was just a joke.
rolleyes.gif
(Sarcasm
grin.gif
)

I actually agree with you. When a suspect causes me to drop my $200 SF, I get ticked off! I really wish there was a way to carry the 10X. I thought the 10X was designed from the ground up to be the best Law Enforcement flashlight. I wonder who forgot to design a holster for it.

Actually, a 10X with a single lamp bezel option would be great! Make it a single lamp with 60, 110, 250 and 500lm options kind of like a rechargeable M6.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by .:
Brightnorm,

If I had to use the light for a battering ram in an exigent circumstance, I would do so without hesitation. I have heard it said by many outside of this board that they would not buy the Surefire 10X for this very reason. But then again, these folk are not flashaholics.
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i thought i was the only one! on this board anyhow. the rechargable i keep in my truck must meet this standard.

i second your choice in streamlight. i was seriously considering the ultrastinger but opted for the '8 tigerlight. until tigerlight, streamlight was the only game in town for rechargables, IMO.
wink.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

During a two-day eval of the Surefire 10X conducted in September 2002 that I managed to witness, an officer wearing the Red Man suit was asked to carry the light in a custom made leather holster while defending against two assailants. He politely refused to carry it; stating that he did not want to contribute to the destruction of a $500.00 flashlight.

He did not hesitate to carry the issue Streamlight SL-20, however.

No point here. Just describing an observation.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carrying 10X without holster is a pain, I have a nylon holster for 10X from SF for evaluation for sometimes. I carried it on belt and having been using it while running, climbing or on trail for 2-8 hours, it is very comfortable. Unlike other SF holsters, this one has foam layer and the 10X is well protected under rough situation.

I don't know why the product wasn't put in production though.

Alan

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 10X hasn't failed me once yet. But I would understand not using it to blast someone in the head or use the bezel or side as a hammer. Being that it's so expensive, why would you use it as a hammer and risk blowing the bulb or dentin' it when you have something like a m$gl$te or stinger that's cheap and can probably survive being blasted by a grenade?

The Dominator may not be for your typical tactical use, since it isn't designed to be used as a baton, unlike an UltraStinger or SL-35X... What it does do well is perform in place of an immediate area spotlight. In the end, its biggest downfall is its dual lamp/dual reflector module. It puzzles me why they couldn't push the reflectors in closer and design an LA to house both bulbs to shrink the size of the head...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The 10X has never failed me, either, but I've been very careful using it. That level of care should not need to occur. It should be able to sustain the level of daily ritual, mundane, hard use as those other products mentioned in this thread.

Has anybody on this board used the 10X for tactical applications? I'm getting very sketchy feedback outside this BB about this matter.