Warm water on icy windshield

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aside from the damage potential, warm water on an icy windschield is just silly. It's even more silly than using a hair dryer -- which some do also.

I've heard of both of these methods being used in the sub-tropics. It's hard to keep a straight face. For those who don't understand -- it's ok -- your understanding is not required or expected. It's still funny.

addictedmatt

Enlightened
My car has heated wipers and fluid, and I rarely use them. By the time they are warm, the car is warm and I've had plenty of time to scrape the ice.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Thermal shock is never a good thing.. warm water is pushing it depending on the temp of the glass. Chemical thawing is the only safe way. Windshields are expencive.. lol

i keep one of these in the trailblazer at all times..

Edit:
de-ice.jpg

Works great, even at -25F.:D

+1

It appears that this contains 62% Methyl Alcohol, 6% Ethylene Glycol, & 32% water. I have seen other recommendations to use 1 part water : 2 parts rubbing (Isopropyl) alcohol.

Last edited:

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
Never had any real problems with ice, even with a old ford Tempo that had a bit of a mind of its own in getting the fan and heater working and to top it off having a very slow coolant leak did not help much. I did however recall my front driver side tire was frozen to the cement one day after wondering why I could not move from the spot.

MonkRX

Newly Enlightened
I've used hot water (too hot to touch).. By the time I get outside its still evaporating (30 second walk at most). Its been working well for me. If it makes a difference, its a '97 car (with many chips and a small crack or two on the windshield, but nothing all the way through - all caused by pebbles).. But so far I've only used it at around 20-35 degrees F.

I also use hot water if my whole car door is frozen shut. I'm don't think I'll ever take an ice scraper at my door/paint.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's fine sarge!
You only need to pour booze on the windshield next to get rid of the smell; then of course since cops might find the smell suspicious, just use a good dosage of white spirit to drown the smell of booze; and then, if you need to pick up the gf from time to time, just pour a bottle of cologne down the windshield beforehand; and finally when you're going back to work and can't let the co-workers notice the girly smell, just simply defrost the windshield with old trusty again!
Problem solved.

:nana:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chemical de-icer, windscreen demister, and patience is the best method.

Anything else stresses the glass, may not crack then , but potentially weakens the glass so it is not as protective in an accident.

ie, when something is hurtling towards you.

IMHO warm water is just false economy.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually I try to de-ice it slowly by using the engines heat but in a hurry I have poured warm water over the windshield just to clear it quickly, maybe I shouldn't in future...:oops:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote start is your friend. You could also try salt water. (salt does quite a number on steel but melts ice just fine. Hey they use it on the roads)

Last edited:

Qoose

Enlightened
I'm going to second chemical de-icer. I've used both the canned versions that have an attached scraper, and the stuff that I mix in with the windshield cleaner. Although this was in 30ish temperatures, so nothing frozen dead.

Or.. move to California where nothing freezes.. and then stop using your car to get places :twothumbs.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two words: Espar heater. My diesel trucks and my wife's Blazer have Espar's. Set them to come on at a certain time or turn them on w/ a remote, and your engine is preheated and your cab is warm and defrosted shortly later. Good stuff. Not for use in a garage.

I've seen a semi truck windshield break with just the in-dash heater. -20F and 4 inches solid ice on the windshield; idiot cranks up his truck, raises the idle so she'll make heat, and turns the heater on full. Ten minutes later he had a very nice crack all the way across both panes of glass.

I've used warm water for years without trouble. I keep a bottle of deicer handy OUTSIDE the vehicle as it's often necessary just to get the door open.

:buddies:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I can say is yes, I've shattered a windshield.

My first car (1972 Pinto) which I owned in 1986.
Upstate NY, a -15 degree day and I was late for classes so I dumped a small trashcan full of hot tap water on the windshield.
-SNAP-
and there was a nice diagonal crack.
I drove to class anyway but on the way home (with the defroster running to clear the windshield again) there was another -SNAP- and the crack finished crossing the windshield and the top right corner sagged into the car (the tar/glue kept it from actually falling in).

Okay it was 14 year old glass and who knows what other stress it had been subject to but dumping that water on it was just stupid on my part.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've squirted denatured alcohol on my windshield to defrost it. It worked great. The problem is that in cold, humid conditions, the windshield frosts up again in a few minutes.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the ice as a sign. On those really cold mornings when I'm not doing so well I just look out my window.

If the ice is there, still cold. If the ice is gone, WARM!

Cydonia

Enlightened
My father poured warm water on a frozen windshield once (about 20 years ago I recall) - but it was a little too hot I guess - and it caused several long (4-6inch or 10-15cm) horizontal cracks to form near the top edge of the windshield.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually use the rain-x orange mix of wiper fluid in the winter. Pretty good stuff.