Warning do not carry exposed batteries in your pocket.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Hot pocket!!!!

Once past the cabbage and your Fenix we got to the hot bit.:nana:,you could make a living writing books.

Juanderful

Newly Enlightened

Short circuiting a battery is usually never a good thing...

But just be glad that nothing blew up, or else that would've put a huge dent in your day :eek:oo:

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
No problem Folk's.

I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone it could have been a lot worse, I could have been asleep, or since I work construction and it's winter, I could have had cover-all's on and not been able to get in my pocket quick enough. Like I said in my first post, I didn't even realize I put it in my pocket. For me it's just habit if I have something small I put it in my pocket. so be carful whatcha keep in in your pockets. Hope every one had a good new year.

DM51

Flashaholic

If you think about it, there's a large amount of energy stored in a small battery, and if you provide that energy with a means to escape all at once, via a short, things are likely to go wrong (and hot) quite fast. :green:

There are good 123-size capsules (and other sizes) available that would prevent this type of incident. Well worth consideration, if you want to avoid unpleasant occurrences in the nether regions...

I'll move this to the Smoke & Fire section.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

I'm glad to see that you were able to escape injury. The same thing happened to me many years ago with a 9v battery so I can relate. It taught me a healthy respect for exposed battery terminals!

EPVQ30

Newly Enlightened

i carry spares in my edc bag but never thought about your scenario.. will have to get a battery case like the ones in batt junc.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same thing happen with an AA NIMH. I never thought a little battery could get so hot. The battery was fine after it cooled off.

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
The battery I had got severely hot also. It cooled down after a while. I wasn't about to put that one in any of my lights. I put it with all my other old batteries.

jrmcferren

Enlightened
Here's what I do when I need to carry exposed batteries in my pocket:
  1. Use my left pocket which usually does not contain anything metal.
  2. Reduce the amount of items I carry in that pocket.
  3. When carrying my Ham radio battery I ensure it is the only item in the pocket or other items are non conductive (such as packaging for batteries).
  4. When carrying other cells in combination with my ham radio battery (and always for lithium) keep the cells in the original packaging.

ashcons

Newly Enlightened
I did something similar with a little old rechargeable AAA several years ago. The spare in my pocket with my keys provided my thigh with quite an unexpected surprise! I am sure my friends thought I looked hilarious jumping up from the couch to dig furiously into my pocket in search of whatever was burning my leg.

DougL

Newly Enlightened
I keep my spare batteries in one of two cases:
a) pharmacy pill containers; these come in various lengths and diameters so you can fit various types of cells in them from single 18650 to multiple aaa and aa combinations, and
b) blood test strip containers with the attached flip top lid which are pretty much perfect for one single CR123 cell.
Stay safe,
Doug

Latest posts