Warning do not carry exposed batteries in your pocket.

JoeAsheville

Newly Enlightened
Haha...a thread a newbie can definitely post in :oops:

I had charged a couple of AAs in my charger at work, and had pulled them off immediately before I left for home. I absentmindedly tossed them in my pocket, forgetting that I had about $3 in quarters jingling in there. I had no issues on the walk to the truck, the drive home, or the afternoon chores...the only time I had figured out something was wrong was when I could no longer ignore the stinging sensation on the tender part of my thigh while sitting on the bed in a bent over position, reading papers with financials on them. I was on a fairly important call for personal business and couldn't hang up, nor could I let the other party know what had happened, which was tough.

I was hopping around in the middle of the bedroom, flinging batteries, pocket change, and pocketknives everywhere in a valiant attempt to prohibit spontaneous combustion...while strenuously attempting to keep my voice calm on the phone.

It took about 5 minutes for the pocket change to cool off, a little less for my knife, but the batteries stayed warm for a while.

Needless to say I now have plastic holders for all batteries I keep in my pockets.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Haha...a thread a newbie can definitely post in :oops:

I had charged a couple of AAs in my charger at work, and had pulled them off immediately before I left for home. I absentmindedly tossed them in my pocket, forgetting that I had about $3 in quarters jingling in there. I had no issues on the walk to the truck, the drive home, or the afternoon chores...the only time I had figured out something was wrong was when I could no longer ignore the stinging sensation on the tender part of my thigh while sitting on the bed in a bent over position, reading papers with financials on them. I was on a fairly important call for personal business and couldn't hang up, nor could I let the other party know what had happened, which was tough.

I was hopping around in the middle of the bedroom, flinging batteries, pocket change, and pocketknives everywhere in a valiant attempt to prohibit spontaneous combustion...while strenuously attempting to keep my voice calm on the phone.

It took about 5 minutes for the pocket change to cool off, a little less for my knife, but the batteries stayed warm for a while.

Needless to say I now have plastic holders for all batteries I keep in my pockets.

I recommend getting a jumbo Tic-tac container of mints. Carefully peel the label off, remove the mints, use the container to carry three AA batteries standing up. Honestly, it's as though the jumbo-sized Tic-tac containers were perfectly sized to hold three AAs. Just place the white plastic top back on, and there you go.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a trustfire 16340 in my pocket and noticed something felt like it was stinging me. So I feel the outside of my pocket and its hot and I pull out my keys and then the battery and had it in my hand and it was getting hotter so I threw it outside and forgot about it just thought I would add my story

Common sense rules in using and storing batteries otherwise you get the bogey man stories.It makes perfect sense to warn others that you lacked care on the day.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll bet there are more of us flashaholics who've learned this lesson the hard way than who care to admit it....not me of course.:whistle:

BronzeLincolns

Newly Enlightened
they say a wise man learns from his mistakes but a wiser man learns from other's mistakes.

i don't recall ever putting batteries in my pocket but after reading this i never will. thanks for this nugget of wisdom.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Yup, had this happen once with a 9V alkaline battery and a bunch of coins in my pants pocket. A quarter had shorted out the two terminals--not very hard to do since 9V batteries have both terminals on the same side and they're close together.

I'd forgotten I had it in my pocket, when I suddenly felt the right side of my outer thigh getting very warm. Reached into my pocket and pulled out the battery, minus the coins. No harm done, got a good laugh out of it. But it's a good thing it wasn't some sort of lithium.

Last edited:

DP425

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a good way to make an emergency hand-warmer--probably would work best with a nine-volt.:naughty:

I've been on the receiving end of that... Carried a 9v and a "firefly" 9v IR strobe in my pocket; I cannot remember what it was that I added to that pocket, but it was metal and it shorted out.

I put a strip of electrical tape over the (new) 9v and from then on I never allowed it to share a pocket with anything metal.

bizzybody

Newly Enlightened
I bought a laser pointer when they first dropped to $10. It wasn't a cheapie, all brass with chrome over copper plating. The only problem was the end would unscrew in my pocket and dump out the pair of LR44's to short against the pointer, my keys, pocket knives etc.

Never got hot, just annoying that when I wanted to use the laser the batteries had escaped and died. I'd buy little styrene incan lights from a dollar store to get cheap pairs of LR44's to feed its appetite and replace the escape artists. I still have the pointer, somewhere, most of its plating is worn off.

Same story with a tiny 5mm white LED flashlight that used 4 very small button cells. It came with 8 and after the second set escaped I tossed it. Four new cells cost more than the light and 8 cells.

TDon

Newly Enlightened
Never would of thought of this happening.
Now adding a carrying case to the purchase list... thanks for the warning(s)...