Wasting my time and money thinking there was such thing as a massive LED thrower...

youreacrab

Enlightened
Looking for a hand-held torch for my car with massive output and throw. Basically a toy for nights in the country when I want a small spotlight in hand. Tried Tiablo A9 and Dereelight DBS. Also tried Olight T25t and Fenix TK20 in AA format, and a 3C Mag with a Malkoff drop in. These are all fine and lights, but dissappointing that they weren't massive on output.

Then I realized--why do I need an LED? Since the light is rarely used, runtime/life aren't that important. Since it sits in the glovebox, a little excess bulk is not an issue. Realizing this, I started looking into hotwire mags.

Enter the ROP 6xAA in a Mag-2D host. Holy f. This thing is a rocketship, brightness unseen in any sub-$100 led light. LED guys: there's a lot to be said for having a cheap kick-*** incan!

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
So many people forget how powerful and cheap you can get incans. When the $ counts most, incan is still the best bang for the buck in output and throw.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about just using a rechargeable spotlight (or one that runs from the cigarette lighter)? That should out-throw anything in a Mag host.

D-Dog

Enlightened
How about just using a rechargeable spotlight (or one that runs from the cigarette lighter)? That should out-throw anything in a Mag host.

These spotlights often have large reflectors which means they will most likely have the edge in throw... however... that much light coming out of a mag is so much cool in my opinion :)