• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of Mule & Haiku lights using the Cree XM-L LEDs

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
So I have an XM-L Haiku. My first McGizmo; saw it on the secondary market and succumbed. One piece of information that I couldn't find was the the lumen output for this light; which I think is pretty good info to have when someone asks you how bright your flashlight is...but I like to be able to quantify things. Don doesn't publish lumen counts, and I couldn't find any definitive reviews on the lumens from the XML Haiku; just anecdotes. I think earlier in this thread, I heard 15/80/260. I've also read that there's a max of a bit over 200 lumens.

I wanted to check to check the reasonableness of those numbers. Visually, against other flashlights in my collection, it certainly seemed reasonable. But then I found that Don had published lumen measures from his Aqua Ram lights using the XML.

AquaLights-Performance.jpg

Aqua Ram XM-L readings since those seemed the most relevant readings for the Haiku according to Don's comments in that thread about the reflector issues. I plotted these readings in Excel, added a trendline (polynomial had the best fit, and R^2 was 0.999), set the y-intercept to 0, and interpolated for the Haiku drive levels. According to the Haiku thread, the drive is 25, 125, 650 mA. The resulting lumens were 10, 47, 233.

Let's round that (using judgement to match the 125 mA level), and we can get estimated levels for the XML Haiku:
Low: 10 lumens
Medium: 45 lumens
High: 230 lumens

Those numbers sound reasonable based on all of the anecdotal evidence and other lights in my collection (although, let's be honest, visually, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 10 and 15 lumens or 230 and 260 lumens). Just thought I'd share this as a data point for those buyers who were curious since I had been quite curious myself as to the lumens...of course, I know very little about circuitry or LEDs, so I could be way off base with this.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your discovery is pretty spot on I would say. Been using the XM-L Haiku for about two years, and although I have no way to measure the lumen numbers, I do realized that the brightness level matches what you have published when compared to other lights that has a published lumen rating.

Jeff91

Newly Enlightened
Long time lurker new poster here at CPF, I've been wanting a McGizmo for a long time. Just sent Don an email last night to order a Haiku, I'm just hoping I included all the right light info in the email...it can be a little confusing to a newby like me. Definitely looking forward to finally getting one in my hands an using it!

DucS2R

Enlightened
Don will let you know if you mis speced something. I agree, it can be confusing, but if you read through the forums enough times it really starts to make sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DTF

Enlightened
Just be sure to order the tapped clip option and also get a McGizmo coiled tether with swivel and you're set.

gonefishing

Enlightened
First order placed! can't wait! Don, please let me know if you received my email. Thank you!

Navistar

Newly Enlightened
As for HEAD ONLY,

The HEAD ONLY-Haiku XML is being offered for $285 plus shipping *
The HEAD ONLY-Haiku XML 6V is being offered for $290 plus shipping *

The HEAD ONLY-Mule XML is being offered for $245 plus shipping *
The HEAD ONLY-Mule XML 6V is being offered for $250 plus shipping *.
Ahhhh.........nakahoshi, NOW I see why you were so interested in that 1x123 Ti McClicky pack I used to have............Very tricky:poke:

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the lights now use XM-L2 LEDs? If so, any idea on the temperature of the XM-L2?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Do the lights now use XM-L2 LEDs? If so, any idea on the temperature of the XM-L2?
I am still using XM-L's in these Haikus, Mules and SunDrops since the XM-L and XM-L2's I have are both of the same tint, CCT and flux bins. The only advantage to the XM-L2 I see is when using it in a 2x123 or the Aqua and Terra lights where the LED is being driven at a higher current level and the XN-L2 has a higher max rating that could be an issue, especialy if one opts to program a higher output level above the 1400 mA stock.

quickster47

Newly Enlightened
Re: Wave of Mule & Haiku lights using the Cree XM-L LEDs

Thanks much djdawg and archimedes for the UI help.

Carl

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Don-

I emailed you today to request purchase of a Mcgizmo Haiku 1xcr123 XML with diamond etched clip.
Did you receive my email? Thanks.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi Don-

I emailed you today to request purchase of a Mcgizmo Haiku 1xcr123 XML with diamond etched clip.
Did you receive my email? Thanks.
Order received and light shipped. Thanks!

n3moreira

Newly Enlightened
Hi

i am from Portugal and joined CPF today, so this questions maybe odd

do you shipp to Europe?
do you have any light available? if not , wow can i order something from you? if that is possible of course