Weapon light discussion, (loosely) related topics welcome

Ericbc7

Newly Enlightened
Fenix GL22 I mounted on my Mossberg shockwave is quite bright and the laser functions fine. I like that is uses 16340 rechargeable cells and that fenix didn't make me use their branded annoying side charging batteries. The Vapcell 16340 T8 850mAh 3A work really well with no problems so far.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+
Being a 10mm fan, looked at a CMMG Banshee more than once.
Expensive, yes, but it's a short barrel AR in 10mm

Hopefully you have a beloved G20 and his little brother G29.
I have a separate press dedicated to just loading the 10mm.
I've been thinking about getting another one, but still just looking. 10mm has multiple personalities and it's tough to tame them all.

Has anyone here ever chosen to add nonlethal/less lethal rounds to your home defense arsenal?

Image 12-9-23 at 4.21 PM.jpg

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone here ever chosen to add nonlethal/less lethal rounds to your home defense

I bet those slugs leave a mark. Interesting they are only powered by a primer.

The orange "hostage" target —when hit in the inner area — barely moves when hit with a 9mm 124gr mid-power load. I just got this target in so I haven't used other cartridges on it.

IMG_4803.jpeg

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In my town years ago at the local WalMart this one fellow walked up to an old lady with a mask on and says "give me your purse". She replies "like H E double hockey sticks I will" and pulls out a 357. As the story went the perp says "what are you gonna do wit dat grandma?" She fired in the air and says "git from here varmint". The perp says "oh yeah, I have one too" and runs to his car. He attempts to flee. The lady gets in her and begins to chase the guy. The two cars passed by a cop going the opposite way and he begins a pursuit. The two ended up in a cul de sac and when the cop arrived the perp was reportedly crying "please don't kill me" as grandma had him pinned down and ready to shoot.

The lady was not charged with any crimes and there has not been a purse snatching at the local WalMart since. Maybe because it was on the 6 o'clock news and in the local paper?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So my bigger question is what should he have done different? My take is that if you don't train more in what you REALLY want to do in a real life scenario than you do to be "safe", or maybe I should say "politically correct", you will fall victim to your own muscle memory (you use a very believable 3 times the repetitions of the training to un-train). I think there are two solutions to follow. First, at the range we should be practicing from a draw, to the FIRE position with our finger on the trigger, and of course on the range we would then indeed FIRE. Since we tend to get a lot of our practice (I do at least) doing dry weapon draw drills at home, we can be in a safe location with safe direction to point, no ammo in the vicinity, and practice those draws as we do on the range, only with a dry fire to complete. Safety is always important, but when we uncase our gun, or remove it to unload or whatever, we can and should take our time and focus on all four main safety points. We should not be operating predominantly under "muscle memory" in calm, routine situations, the brain must be engaged. In short, training to draw into a fire condition, that is with the finger on the trigger, does not have to be mutually exclusive to safe firearm handling.
Completely agree with you. No offense, shortened your initial quote only to focus on the absolute most important aspects. We cannot escape muscle memory that takes over during stress. But we can incorporate elements of our training to work together with muscle memory.

There are defensive shooting instructors who will be horrified that I insist students touch their triggers in a self-defense scenario. Again, not immediately pull the trigger but they must touch it after practicing their draw stroke each and every single time. This will insure that what happened in the example you cited above, does not happen to them.

Also, massive amount of dry-fire practice. With snap-caps. Keep that chosen CCW pistol or revolver from getting damaged. But not just practice. Practice, properly! This prevents issues with repetition. And, most of all; don't be lazy. Set that time aside to practice at a local range when not attending a nearby shooting school.

Safety and muscle memory can work together instead of against each other. Absolutely!

Edit: Clarification.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Second IMHO to the "I effing shot myself!" dude.
Oh!
Tex Grebner. I remember that video. Can't believe it was over a decade ago. Thing is, the video is incredibly misleading. It looks like barely a scratch, initially. But Tex made a follow-up video days, maybe weeks later, where he graphically showed the absolute horrific damage to his lower leg. Doctors had to cut the entire length of his lower leg, then splay it open to fix the damage. Which was worse than anything in the most gory film I've ever seen!

(Keep in mind this was back in the day when YouTube allowed literally anything and everything on the platform, short of blatant racism or graphic "Adult" content. But literally everything else, even extreme violence was fair game.)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Has anyone here ever chosen to add nonlethal/less lethal rounds to your home defense arsenal?

View attachment 53904
Byrna products are great.... If you live in a horribly restrictive jurisdiction. Otherwise, I'd say not worth it. Anyone willing to do a Home Invasion robbery is just too violent and dangerous NOT to use lethal force against them. If not for your own sake, then that of your family. But that's just my opinion.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Was watching some womens biathlon from Norway, because I can think of worse things to watch
Found a great Norwegian word:

skyting

means; the firing of guns, or strike/sharp glancing blow

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many years ago, my mother was thoroughly distraught that an armadillo would regularly root up uncommon native plant seedlings. Took me quite a few nights to finally encounter the big boy.

CCI Stinger .22 long rifle, Ruger 7722 (original green accents on the synthetic stock. Replaced the trigger mechanism with a Volquartsen(?) not long after).

Used a 3 C-cell Streamlight or Bianchi Light (not sure) with this mount (strap since removed because I was using the mount to tail stand an Oveready ODL for years).

Attachments

• IMG_2983.jpeg
    IMG_2983.jpeg
    755.2 KB · Views: 27

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

A friend and his wife invited me to a pin shooting competition maybe 30 years ago. Talk about an adrenaline rush.

Not going to opine whether it was useful for a real life scenario. To each his own.

I will say that there was a situation maybe 20 years ago involving a (known problem) dog pack trying to kill my dog. Training on the range absolutely helped with the muscle memory and sight picture.

You can best believe fine motor skill went out the window. Was shaking a lot after the reload. Ears ringing horribly. Several years before I took that pistol in hand again.

Felt bad for the dogs; neglectful human owner was the problem. He would go out of town for many days at a time. They probably ran out of food. Rottweiler mom and Chow cross son. Seriously big boy.

Cor Bon 9mm 135gr. Hollow points, exited the Rott but not the Chow cross. Sheriff Office already had knowledge of the problem. Animal Control took the bodies.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

I have a massive ton of respect for Mas, but even he sometimes gets it wrong. A violent encounter involving the use of guns is as far from a shooting match as a Working Girl is from a Nun. They're both women. Both have the same body parts.... Good luck convincing anyone that both are the same thing in any way that truly matters.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The white guy was just pretending to be a hostage so they could get the drop on kerneldrop. Lesson learned - Never try to get the drop on someone named kerneldrop.
Ha. Train for all scenarios

It's really just a cheap popper option.
$35 add on and you get a orange target that flops from side to side. I guess I'm a caveman…hear steel ring, see steel move.

Kerneldrop is a play on reloading components
Kernel = gunpowder kernel
Drop = drop tube the gunpowder falls down