Weapon light discussion, (loosely) related topics welcome

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cool thing with the Sig P320 or a Glock is a factory barrel swap is all it takes to convert a .357 Sig to a .40 with OEM reliability.
+

For sure,
or get a .40sw and put a 9mm* barrel on it, if everything lines up & barrel availability

* 9mm = .357

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+
For sure,
or get a .40sw and put a 9mm* barrel on it, if everything lines up & barrel availability

My first high-volume shooter was a G22 with a 9mm lone wolf conversion barrel. I shot 1,000s with zero failures. Literally zero.

Now to show that I'm not a Glock fan boy…I fired 1 shot through a brand new gen3 G29 and it became inoperable and was sent back. First and only shot. Slide locked back, recoil spring shot out the front and got stuck. Barrel was wedged at lock back.

It gets fun when you reload because:
357 Mag = .357
357 Sig = .355
9mm = .355

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Reloading takes time, quality takes more steps than not.

Several years ago I picked up some .223 reload bullets, very good deal on them (50gr.)
One issue; they didn't boat tail, so they wouldn't sit well in my brass to reload.. slight problem.

Picked up an old 'new' in packaging, long taper punch.
Tapped my .223 brass to widen the mouth a couple thousandths via the flat section on my bench vise.
again, more steps but it worked great ~ fired as normal

1702655044312.jpeg

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+
Reloading takes time, quality takes more steps than not.

I started out shooting pistols and reloading on a Lee turret press. Then my competitive journey moved to benchrest rifles where I spent a painstakingly amount of time reloading on a single stage press. Now I'm back to pistols and went to a Dillon progressive press.

But where costs are now it doesn't make sense to reload 9mm unless you are a pro shooter and can benefit from light 9mm loads in divisions that don't penalize you for powder-puff loads. So I buy ammo from Academy when it's on sale.

On a good note, I scheduled a steel range day. My wife had other plans for me, so I ran errands and cleaned. Funny how that works.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
One of the instructors at the shooting school likes to volunteer to clean up the spent brass. We're talking several pounds upon pounds of spent brass. Not everyone gets it. I do. Brass casings might as well be made out of gold.... If you reload at home.

Nice savings on ammo if the brass is free. Just sort it, clean it, use it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I actually emailed Peak about their 18650 light and didn't get a reply a month or so ago. Do you know if they're still doing that service?
Contact them again. But don't wait for a reply if you need such a light in a hurry. Everyone forgets, Peak is not a flashlight company. They're a company that makes flashlights on the side to bring in a bit of extra revenue. It's honestly their side-hustle. If it starts taking away too much time from their main gig, yeah; they're going to scale back on the flashlights or perhaps even discontinue aspects of their side-hustle.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

ok, I'm a dork & was watching Covert Affairs Season 4.
At one point Annie was loading ammo to a magazine, paused and rewound to see clearly what she was loading.

She was loading 7.62x25, I almost pissed myself because how rare that ammo really is.... kinda made my day :yellowlaugh:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aren't there small operations where a competitor can purchase rifle ammo for precision from a vendor? All rifle competitors reload their own?

There's probably a few PRS shooters buying 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. but I imagine that's it.

My chambers require neck turning so I have to reload if I want to shoot those rifles. That's why I went back to pistols and about to get into pistol carbine cartridges.

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The secret to fast dot shooting…do this and you'll understand the phrase "Look at the target not the dot"
I have a 3d printed cover but it's in another location so this will do.

IMG_5191.jpeg

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contact them again. But don't wait for a reply if you need such a light in a hurry. Everyone forgets, Peak is not a flashlight company. They're a company that makes flashlights on the side to bring in a bit of extra revenue. It's honestly their side-hustle. If it starts taking away too much time from their main gig, yeah; they're going to scale back on the flashlights or perhaps even discontinue aspects of their side-hustle.
Do you know what their main gig is?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Honestly, it's been so many years that I don't remember exactly what it is.