Weird annoying neighbour, any ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Side Bar, but this reminds me a bit of a prank my Grandfather used to play some years ago when he finished out his years at an assisted living high rise. Gramps was the eternal prankster, and loved getting under the skin of other residents he thought we're 'senile', and 'old farts' that couldn't drink nor play cards up his standards. There was this other resident, whom was a a guy in his 70's that was still driving, and was OCD about his car, which was parked within view of my grandfathers 4th floor apt. The other resident would frequently check on his car and remove any dust, dirt, and check that it was locked several times a day without driving anywhere. Gramps would hop in his power scooter, at a discrete interval, zoom up to the victims car, and 'mess with it' in some harmless fashion such as raising the windshield wipers in salute fashion, put a Beercan on the antenna, etc. He'd then scoot back up to his apt, and sit for hours with his unlit cigar twitching in his mouth waiting for the victim to arrive on the next routine inspection and begin yelling incoherently for about 20 minutes at non-existant vandals. Gramps thought this was hysterically funny. This went on for about a year until the other resident was removed to a fully assisted home because of, uh, mental issues.

My advice to the OP on this issue is to *not* retaliate in any way because in the event you might have to involve law enforcement you lose your advantage. If the old man is a bit loony, talking to the wife (nicely) is the only reasonable resort. If he's coherent, he's likely ticked about something, and as petty as it is talking to wife (nicely) might break the ice. If this is indeed a mental issue, more than likely it won't last much longer and perhaps just being patient will resolve the problem. In any respect, I don't trust people messing with my car, and unless your local cops are total jerks I'm certain they'd side with you even if evidence was circumstantial and it isn't a big city where they'd consider it a 'petty' annoyance. However, once you call the cops diplomacy is out the window.

Digital

Newly Enlightened
France and individual townships are obviously going to have different laws then other places most of us can relate to.
Here in my state we have trespassing laws that you can back up with a gun and a bullet.
I'm not sure about your local laws but regardless every home should have motion sensing flood lights installed.
Since you're into flashlights you could have extremely high lumen lights installed and point them at your car for security, regardless if it's for him or a possible burglar.

If it was me and I caught him I'd come outside with my gun in a rage waving it around. Then act surprised and apologetic that I didn't know it was him and he almost got shot for vandalizing my car. Let him talk his way out of a gun barrel to the face situation. He might think twice after that.

Greta

Flashaholic
France and individual townships are obviously going to have different laws then other places most of us can relate to.
Here in my state we have trespassing laws that you can back up with a gun and a bullet.
I'm not sure about your local laws but regardless every home should have motion sensing flood lights installed.
Since you're into flashlights you could have extremely high lumen lights installed and point them at your car for security, regardless if it's for him or a possible burglar.

If it was me and I caught him I'd come outside with my gun in a rage waving it around. Then act surprised and apologetic that I didn't know it was him and he almost got shot for vandalizing my car. Let him talk his way out of a gun barrel to the face situation. He might think twice after that.

This scenario would be especially awesome if crazy-old-man then pulled a gun out of his waistband and shot your butt right in your driveway! Yup. Smart plan... :ironic: :shakehead

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd come outside with my gun in a rage waving it around.

It sounds to me like your state probably has self-defense laws that allow awfully generous 'reasonable defense' actions against someone charging with a handgun.

You are the most polite person in a world when you carry. You lose every argument and back down from anyone. You are always wrong and you always apologize. Because every time you fail to de-escalate when you have a handgun, you are trying to kill someone.

neonnoun

Newly Enlightened
I suppose you could clear out the leaves. Perhaps that's all he wants and doesn't have the social skills to address the issue with you properly. Even if that isn't the reason, if he doesn't have any leaves, he can't very well place them on the car.

gollum

Enlightened
I wouldn't confront him at all...
he may be seeking attention and have a bit of rascal in him...

I would look at preventing the situation through the root causes
remove all the leaves and give the tree a big prune and see if it stops dropping leaves for a while ,this would break him out of the habit
if thats too hard,
remove your wipers if its easy enough,maybe put them up and see what he does
maybe tape them down and see what happens
you could experiment and see what his reaction is
could you put a temporary fence up?
maybe speak to a psychologist about him

watchcollector1968

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I understand political correctness prevails most times, but this is rediculous. The guy is messing with your personal property and now there are discussions of webcams and elaborate gizmos to watch him do it. To suggest removing your wiper blades? C'mon people. Sorry, simple answer is to confront him. you see him doing it then go outside the first time and politely ask, would you leave my car alone? If he repeats the behavior simply tell him to knock it off or the next time he touches your wiper blade will be to pull it out of his mouth. I know the direct approach offends many people, oh well...seems the way of the world, confront a bully and it makes you the jerk.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't confront him at all...
he may be seeking attention and have a bit of rascal in him...

I would look at preventing the situation through the root causes
remove all the leaves and give the tree a big prune and see if it stops dropping leaves for a while ,this would break him out of the habit
if thats too hard,
remove your wipers if its easy enough,maybe put them up and see what he does
maybe tape them down and see what happens
you could experiment and see what his reaction is
could you put a temporary fence up?
maybe speak to a psychologist about him

I have to disagree,
if you find out that your neighbor is truly doing this leaf thing,...absolutely confront him.

Saying nothing would not only empower him,, but it would make you look weak.
When someone starts to get into your personal business, you must respond.

I'm a very firm believer in calling people out on their idiocy in our world, this fringe area is where we need to correct things.
(no, I'm not saying loading up the semi-auto)

If flatout embarrassment doesn't work, you may need to be creative..

Last edited:

Digital

Newly Enlightened
This scenario would be especially awesome if crazy-old-man then pulled a gun out of his waistband and shot your butt right in your driveway! Yup. Smart plan... :ironic: :shakehead
If someone draws on a drawn gun and wins then you failed. Please don't make up pointless stories. No one is going to out draw the drawn gun and win.

It sounds to me like your state probably has self-defense laws that allow awfully generous 'reasonable defense' actions against someone charging with a handgun.

You are the most polite person in a world when you carry. You lose every argument and back down from anyone. You are always wrong and you always apologize. Because every time you fail to de-escalate when you have a handgun, you are trying to kill someone.
Right. But you aren't carrying. You're on your property and someone has trespassed on your property and is in the middle of vandalizing your property with unknown intent in a suspicious manner. Two completely unrelated activities.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Funny how quickly this thread seems to have been transformed into a "right to bear arms" discussion, while the OP lives outside the US and almost certainly doesn't have the right.
Talking to the man (or his wife) is the only obvious first step. Instead of monitoring the car, try asking him if he's seen anyone mess with you car. Perhaps you already dropped a hint?

rufus001

Enlightened
WOW!!! What a whole lot of carry-on. Ask the wife if he his nuts. If she says no then ESCALATE! Don't let him mess with your personal property.

gollum

Enlightened
well I thought it would be easier to tread lightly at first
it seems the old boy is just amusing himself...
also remember this is rural France its not suburbia ....and just an old man who is maybe a bit crazy

JemR

Newly Enlightened
First things first, I'll make absolutely sure it's still him doing it.

This is getting a little confusing. oKtosiTe's right, the talk of gun's is not helping. I'm still not really sure the OP knows 100% it's this man. And if it indeed is, whether the man knows the OP knows it's him. Maybe the video will shed some light soon. The OP seems reluctant to confront the man alone. That IS fair enough, he might be walking in to a fight. Maybe the help of that friend from before is in order. He sorted the dog's mess stuff out. Or perhaps that triggered it all. Was that before or after the leaves started? Perhaps the man or his wife slipped on the leaves, that can easily happen. I have great sympathy with the OP who obviously wishes to avoid conflict, but I am thinking he needs to take someone with him, politely knock on the man's door and find out.

Digital

Newly Enlightened
Plan B. Hide in the tree and talk to the guy in a "god voice" telling him that he must place a dollar bill for each leaf he has placed on your windshield to atone for his sins. And he needs to shave his butt hole. If he's nuts win win. If he's not and a prankster it's an ice breaker and he'll enjoy your attempt at humor and you can discuss from there.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
the dude is obviously mantal, today it is harmless leaves, who knows what he will do tomorow.
get evidence (pics, video...) and call police, let them talk to him.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get dude interested in flashlights. It sounds like his mind is bored, and rather than fry itself or trim unused brain cells, he's keeping active by doing leaf puzzles on your windshield.

I know you don't want to get too close to your neighbors, but some neighbors are like that. Just cause he's old is why I'm guessing he's probably not all there upstairs. If it were my neighborhood, I'd ignore it because it's just the neighbor trying to start a fight. If it were more like the neighborhood I grew up in, I'd just chat with the guy, bring it up in conversation about finding leaves, having people tell you that they saw him do it, and thinking it strange or funny. If he meant to annoy or threaten you, he'll stop and try to do something else. If he was just trying to be goofy and start a friendship, then success!

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beat him to the punch. Leave a bunch of leaves under you wipers before he gets there. Make it really obvious with so many it looks ridiculous.

iapyx

Enlightened
Digital said:
Plan B. Hide in the tree and talk to the guy in a "god voice" telling him that he must place a dollar bill for each leaf he has placed on your windshield to atone for his sins. And he needs to shave his butt hole. If he's nuts win win. If he's not and a prankster it's an ice breaker and he'll enjoy your attempt at humor and you can discuss from there.

Wouldn't it be better to tell him to place Euro bills in this case?

iapyx

Enlightened
Why don't you aim the water sprayers at the side of your car and make it possible to activate them by remote controll? That way you could give him a shower.

Status
Not open for further replies.