What do you do with depleted cells in the wilderness?

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm glad "everyone" doesn't leave trash, because every time I go out, it already seems like it from the amount I see.

broadgage

Enlightened
I would say, that if you carry batteries into the wilderness then you should be prepared to carry them out again for proper disposal.
I would accept that dumping small quantities of used batteries might be just about acceptable in an emergency, but not normally.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Better to bury it for sure even in the wilderness if you bury stuff that isn't harmful to the soil or water table then no wildlife can be affected by it.

Buried trash doesn't always stay buried. Critters will dig up things that you or I cannot smell or otherwise detect.

I recall a camping trip to a national park where the previous visitors declined to use the provided facilities, and instead buried their feces all around the campsite. By the time we arrived, animals had dug up many of the potty holes, and the result was not only unpleasant, it was unsanitary. Our trip to the wilderness (planned for months, etc.) was ruined because someone was too lazy or dainty to use the port-a-john. This is just one example.

Aesthetics aside, some trash -- like wrappers and food waste -- can be burned in the campfire. Some trash -- like bottles and plastic -- can be recycled or (if it's in keeping with local practice) thrown in the local landfill; depleted alkaline cells may fit in this category, but then again they may not. If unsure, I would carry them out.

TMK, Lithium primaries and secondaries contain heavy metals that should not be allowed to leech into anyone's water supply. In the Mongolia/Siberia examples from the OP, the locals probably drink from wells, or -- in remote locations -- maybe even directly from rivers and streams. An ethical guest visiting such locations will err on the side of respecting the health of the locals, meeting or exceeding local trash disposal practices, and protecting the the natural resources that draw visitors in the first place (and thereby help provide a tourism-related income for the locals). Does one or two CR123 cells make a measurable difference in this context? Maybe not,... but you have to see yourself as a part of the larger group of visitors, each with their own trash pile that might seem insignificant until you add it all together over time.

In remote locations, the locals may not have the means to properly dispose of everything that tourists bring with them. Personally, in that case, I would carry back to civilization anything that could conceivably have a health impact if improperly disposed. And honestly, a few spent CR123s and alkalines weigh almost nothing, and they are not stinky or unsanitary to carry home. It really seems like a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Buried trash doesn't always stay buried. Critters will dig up things that you or I cannot smell or otherwise detect.

I recall a camping trip to a national park where the previous visitors declined to use the provided facilities, and instead buried their feces all around the campsite. By the time we arrived, animals had dug up many of the potty holes, and the result was not only unpleasant, it was unsanitary. Our trip to the wilderness (planned for months, etc.) was ruined because someone was too lazy or dainty to use the port-a-john. This is just one example.

Aesthetics aside, some trash -- like wrappers and food waste -- can be burned in the campfire. Some trash -- like bottles and plastic -- can be recycled or (if it's in keeping with local practice) thrown in the local landfill; depleted alkaline cells may fit in this category, but then again they may not. If unsure, I would carry them out.

TMK, Lithium primaries and secondaries contain heavy metals that should not be allowed to leech into anyone's water supply. In the Mongolia/Siberia examples from the OP, the locals probably drink from wells, or -- in remote locations -- maybe even directly from rivers and streams. An ethical guest visiting such locations will err on the side of respecting the health of the locals, meeting or exceeding local trash disposal practices, and protecting the the natural resources that draw visitors in the first place (and thereby help provide a tourism-related income for the locals). Does one or two CR123 cells make a measurable difference in this context? Maybe not,... but you have to see yourself as a part of the larger group of visitors, each with their own trash pile that might seem insignificant until you add it all together over time.

In remote locations, the locals may not have the means to properly dispose of everything that tourists bring with them. Personally, in that case, I would carry back to civilization anything that could conceivably have a health impact if improperly disposed. And honestly, a few spent CR123s and alkalines weigh almost nothing, and they are not stinky or unsanitary to carry home. It really seems like a no-brainer.
Japan recommends lithium primaries be thrown in the trash
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_recycling
and since there is no mercury in alkaline batteries it is safe to throw them in the trash also
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39214032/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/are-batteries-bad-environment/

Now if you are going to tell me a landfill (dump) is a specially set out place to protect the environment then properly burying trash in the wild is no less an issue than throwing the trash in a dump with the exception of the location.
Like I said before if you bury the batteries well I seriously doubt an animal would be interested in digging them up and they will slowly decompose over the next century taking perhaps a bit longer than a pair of sneakers which instead of taking 100 years take 60-80 years to decompose.
I think the biggest issue is most people won't take the time to properly bury trash in the wild keeping it away from areas that can wash out or water can seep through although water seepage would probably make batteries decomposition accelerate.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Dump your used batteries in dudes front yard. Maybe then it'll be a better way to get the point across.

Afterall when we are in the wilderness it's somebodies front yard... maybe not ours.. but critters have feelings too.

I taught my kids to pick up fishing line peeled off the reel, packages from lures, and any trash they generate.
We do leave food scraps though. The flies gotta eat too. Anytime we go anywhere we have waste sacks. Overnight trips generate dirty cloths, gum wrappers, bullet shells and all kinds of stuff. I'm a smoker and don't even leave any cigarette butts.

We carry it in, we carry it out. Unless life was at stake it's not a difficult decision. But in the case of a major injury or potential death... yeah we'll haul freight back to civilization without taking the time to ensure we got all of the rubbish.

It's just common sense.

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
I use a bigger picture perspective...

When going into the wilderness I plan on packing out my used batteries, but unless the trip is extended (beyond 15 - 20 days) I really don't have many used cells to pack out.

When I go into primitive areas and an worried about the bulk of packing waste back out, I go with light sources that get entirely used up.

Even the most primitive villages can deal with candles and matches...

Tom

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pack them out just like you packed them in. Take them to a recycling bin for alkaline batteries or what ever your batteries are composed of. DO NOT toss them into the garbage bin.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
That's exactly what I do. Some people will freak out over burning a granola bar wrapper; not me. It's going in.

Some hardcore hikers carry out poop in a bag. A+ for effort, but nope!
I hear yea. If able to do so I make a point of picking up a few article of trash on the way out. After all if I see trash but don't do something how am I any different from the person who tossed the garbage in the first place. That said if under stress aka heading in or in a hurry to get out aka weather etc etc then just responsible for my own.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
On a side note often unless fooling around or doing a long night hikes a battery goes a loooooooooooong way these days. I don't use much light in camp for normal long distance stuff. Hiker's midnight. Pull down 20+ miles in a day going through the hills and I am tired. Need to get up early with the sun to push off again. But that maybe a different situation than what the OP is describing. Then again I am not totally sure what the point of this thread is anyways. After all if he is in the middle of no place why ask the internet what to do? This is something which only he can answer.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, I can recommend using rechargeables and a solar charger, as long as you have sun. I know, weight may be a big issue, but if you can carry one, I have an Aukey 21w solar charger that has worked very well, and costs about $50.00usd. Another product should hopefully be coming out this year, called Hand Energy. It promises to charge anywhere, anytime without sun, using something like mechanical kinetic energy or some such method, looks promising.
Yes I agree I have to anker solar chargers . Works very well. Like to see the new items coming out. Great heads up.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
"You don't concern yourself with First World problems."
-If you live a hard life out in remote places because that is your life, that's one thing, but if you're voluntarily going to those places for adventure, and so you can play Billy Badas, then that's something else entirely. Creating hardship and then claiming to have to take shortcuts to deal with it isn't remotely impressive or commendable.

Anyhow, solar +rechargeable sounds viable, and for that matter so does packing out your alkaline or lithium non rechargeable batteries, and sending them through the best trash disposal available in the community.
Better yet, innovate and find some way to guarantee the recyclables make it out of the community to propper facilities, by paying locals to get the materials out.
I'll bet that if there were a proper bounty on trash that all these first world adventurers brought up Everest, that every bit of it would make it back down, on one trip or another.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't do Extreme adventuring, but I do solo trips in wilderness areas, and I like to mess with ultralight packing as well. So I carry heavy wet food if I feel like it, more water than necessary, maybe box wine, ice too if I want to. Coming back, all that water weight is gone and I usually fill a contracter bag with other people's garbage on the way out.

Latest posts