What does EDC mean, seriously...

russde

Newly Enlightened
Since the OP seems to have gotten the answer(s) to his question...I can be flippant and say that I am glad to know that Echo63 wears his pants most of the time, don't want to know about the rest :crackup:

"My EDC lights are truly EDC
i also have a Sunwayman V10R TI in a belt holster, it's on me whenever I am wearing pants (most of the time)"

fyrstormer

Banned
Lots of people here have what could be called "Core EDC", which is basically your pants and whatever you always keep in them (besides yourself), and "Extended EDC", which is basically the stuff you keep in various containers and places that are usually within reach.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of people here have what could be called "Core EDC", which is basically your pants and whatever you always keep in them (besides yourself), and "Extended EDC", which is basically the stuff you keep in various containers and places that are usually within reach.

Whoa... dude, you're taking this to the next level:

Core EDC = can't open the blinds without item (clothing)
Basic EDC = can't leave home without items (keys, wallet)
Regular EDC = stuff you still feel naked without (flashlight, knife, pen, cell phone, coffee, purse...)
Daily EDC = Stuff you need occasionally (umbrella, rain jacket, boots, gym bag...)
Weekend EDC = Stuff you carry outside the work week (sandals, different flashlight, bicycle ...)
Car EDC = Stuff you leave in the car (another flashlight, oil, screw driver, maps...)
Extended EDC = Stuff you leave lying around (flashlight next to the door, over the washer...)
Work EDC = yep, you leave it at work in your drawer or on the desk...
Vacation EDC = I think the picture should be clear by now...

Did I miss any important ones??

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened

Regular EDC = stuff you still feel naked without (flashlight, knife, pen, cell phone, coffee, purse...)
Daily EDC = Stuff you need occasionally (umbrella, rain jacket, boots, gym bag...)
Weekend EDC = Stuff you carry outside the work week (sandals, different flashlight, bicycle ...)
Car EDC = Stuff you leave in the car (another flashlight, oil, screw driver, maps...)
Extended EDC = Stuff you leave lying around (flashlight next to the door, over the washer...)

Let's see: Core EDC, yea I'm all set. Basic EDC, good to go. Regular EDC, check...

Good heavens! I forgot to set up my Vacation EDC! Oh the humanity!

In all seriousness, your list is pretty accurate. I actually have items that fit into every category...

zenbeam

Enlightened

Hospital stay EDC = Bedpan & IV Unit

fyrstormer

Banned
I don't think the "Vacation EDC" is valid. It's not EDC if you don't actually carry it with you, or at least have it where you can easily reach it, more days than not.

Alternately, if you really are on vacation 51% of the year, I hate you. :mad:

;)

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
most importantly, EDC does NOT imply a small size!

if you carry a shotgun, machete, and olight x6 day in and day out then that's your EDC

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
I don't think the "Vacation EDC" is valid. It's not EDC if you don't actually carry it with you, or at least have it where you can easily reach it, more days than not.

;)
Nope... he means EDC while he's on vacation. It's a legitimate sub-category.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

;)

Sounds like you don't get too much vacation time ;)

J/K

Let's see in more details what Vacation EDC would consist of:

This one would have to include airport DC (for Daily Carry, since we don't spend multiple days in a row in airports) = bags, passport, tickets.

Once at your destination you might wear/carry things you don't when at home like sandals and flower shirt or bathing suit. Those would constitute your Core Vacation EDC. Then you might want to leave your home keys in a safe place, but still need your wallet and hotel key (Basic Vacation EDC, which might include passport in foreign countries). Then, as a flashaholic, you'll definitely have some Regular Vacation EDC (probably a smaller flashlight than usual, water, touristic maps, etc.) Then there's the Daily Vacation EDC (towel, sunscreen-could be Regular Vacation EDC depending on your skin sensitivity). Vacation Car EDC usually constitutes only in car rental agreement and maps. Extended Vacation EDC is the toothbrush and toothpaste you leave lying in the hotel room (ok, we need another term than EDC for this one). If you carry some sort of Work-Vacation EDC, you definitely need to re-evaluate to see if you're really on vacation. And finally Vacation-Vacation EDC = booze, condoms, cigar, etc. whatever makes the day go by and you won't leave behind.

So, any sub-category of EDC can be EDC -even combined with other categories. However, you're right: while it's not on you, it's not EDC, it's just stuff. Vacation stuff, weekend stuff, daily stuff, etc. that lies in drawers, closets and bins.

So, after pondering for a while, I decided we needed to extend into a few more categories. Now we have:

EDC (Every Day Carry) = stuff you normally carry in a particular situation (work, weekend, vacation)
DC (Day Carry) = Stuff you carry for a day on specific occasions (travel luggage)
C (carry) = Stuff you're just carrying and don't care about (ex.: empty water bottle while looking for a recycling bin, used condom, etc.)
Stuff = Stuff you're not carrying at the moment
EDS (Everyday Stuff) = Stuff that's been placed in a stategic location for momentary daily usage (the flashlight on your night stand or next to the door)
ODS (Occasional Daily Stuff) = Stuff like your luggage that's waiting in the hotel room for the trip back, at which point it will become DC again.
SS (Stored Stuff) = Stuff you're not using at the moment and that is not accessible.

As an example, luggage is normally SS, but becomes Stuff for a day while you're filling it. The next day it's DC on the trip to the airport, at which point it becomes EDC (since you'll always have that WITH you in an airport). It gets demoted back to ODS once in your hotel room, possibly even SS if you like to put your clothes in hotel room drawers. Then the whole process is then repeated until you get home to demote it back to SS level again.

Did I miss anything this time?

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Okay, I'm not the one who took the concept of "EDC" to any new level. ;) It never even occurred to me to categorize everything I might ever carry in every conceivable group of similar scenarios. I have my Core EDC, which is the stuff I put in my pockets as soon as I put my pants on, and I have my Extended EDC, which is stuff that isn't in my pockets, but is in my work bag full-time or within reach in places where I can usually be found for hours-on-end. Everything else is just stuff, which doesn't need to be categorized because there is no determined pattern to my usage of it.

It's not Everyday Carry if you don't carry it everyday.

zenbeam

Enlightened
It's not Everyday Carry if you don't carry it everyday.

So if I rotate what I carry.... like for 3 days I carry one flashlight and 4 days another.... I couldn't technically refer to either as "EDC" while I am carrying them? :ironic: hehe!

Ah... they would be "RC" for "Rotational Carry"! :whistle:

Just kidding around. :wave:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC (Every Day Carry) = stuff you normally carry in a particular situation (work, weekend, vacation)
EXEDC (Extended Everyday Carry) = Stuff you carry in a bag / purse
ODC (Occasional Daily Carrt) = Stuff you carry for a specific purpose / occasion and always have it on you for that purpose / occasion.
RC (Rotational Carry) or RDC (Rotational Daily Carry) = Stuff on you regular EDC rotation. You carry one of these everyday, just not the same every time
DC (Day Carry) = Stuff you carry for a day on specific occasions (travel luggage)
C (carry) = Stuff you're just carrying and don't care about (ex.: empty water bottle while looking for a recycling bin, used condom, etc.)
Stuff = Stuff you're not carrying at the moment
EDS (Everyday Stuff) = Stuff that's been placed in a stategic location for momentary daily usage (the flashlight on your night stand or next to the door)
ODS (Occasional Daily Stuff) = Stuff like your luggage that's waiting in the hotel room for the trip back, at which point it will become DC again.
SS (Stored Stuff) = Stuff you're not using at the moment and that is not accessible.

I would tend to say that if you carry a flashlight everyday, but not the same every time, it's still EDC when it's on you. Those that stay behind could be considered RC or RDC.

Reading back at my post I had a flash: Anyone remember George Carlin's Vacation-Weekend ODC list? (hint: he would prorably have prefered the term ODS to fit in with the rest of the gig) :p

fyrstormer

Banned
So if I rotate what I carry.... like for 3 days I carry one flashlight and 4 days another.... I couldn't technically refer to either as "EDC" while I am carrying them? :ironic: hehe!

Ah... they would be "RC" for "Rotational Carry"! :whistle:

Just kidding around. :wave:
I carry a...

pair of flashlights
watch
pen
multi-tool
knife
tweezer
can opener
set of keys
USB flash drive

...every day. Which specific units happen to occupy those slots changes from day to day, but my Core EDC is comprised of those items at all times. :candle:

Last edited:

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
Fenix E15, Photon Micro II Leatherman Micra, Boker Vox Access Tool, Spyderco Honeybee, Spyderco Bug on Keys.

HDS 200T clipped on pocket (all times), Boker Subcom Black and/or Leatherman Skeletool CX also clipped on pockets (work), Red Inova Microlight clipped onto jackets.
2 CR123 batteries in carry case.

Surefire G2X Tactical, 4Sevens Preon II,

Not sure about the rest in my bag, will have to look, but that's pretty much day to-day

zenbeam

Enlightened
I carry a...

pair of flashlights
watch
pen
multi-tool
knife
tweezer
can opener
set of keys
USB flash drive

...every day. Which specific units happen to occupy those slots changes from day to day, but my Core EDC is comprised of those items at all times. :candle:

Fair enough. So in that light, my RC is still my EDC and when asked, my EDC-SU can then be discussed on a brand and model number basis as EDC in spite of it being RC.

EDC-SU = Every Day Carry - Specific Unit

("EDC-SU"... squeezed out another one thanks to the "specific unit" phrase - that was perfect ;))

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I get dressed to walk out the door, I have on my person: Watch, Wallet, Keys, Light, Knife, Pen, Cellphone - that's my EDC.
Light is usually a Groovy! Knife is a sprint run Para2.
If I'm driving, I have a Thrunite Ti and SAK Classic, as well. But I don't ALWAYS grab that set of keys.

When I put on my coat, voila, I have a Surefire with Malkoff, and another knife - but I don't always wear a coat.
Each of my cars has more of this type of gear in the glove box, and a bag in the trunk with more, including light, knife, tools and emergency gear.
In my daily driver I have a maxpedition "EDC" bag with a knife, light, leatherman, and other stuff.
If I'm going to step or cycle away from home, office, or car I'll grab that - but since it isn't always on my person, I don't consider it part of my EDC.
But that's just me.

I almost squee'd at another happy Groovy! owner. What's in your sandvich? I have a Luxeon 3 with an AWR linear dropout regulator that doesn't really come alive without 3.7 volts of IMR goodness behind it, and I'm thinking it's time to bring it into the 21st century.

My EDC lights consist of a Surefire G2Z, two AW IMR-123 cells, and a DX Cree XML module in a Wilson Combat holster, for my short-burst "Need to see RIGHT NOW" needs (It was a P91 until LEDs surpassed that), and a Ra TR-85 (Unit "0252") right behind it on the left hip in a Surefire E1E holster, for longer runs and lower levels. I also keep a Photon Freedom (orange) on my keys, though I've only ever needed it once - at a concert, where the captive nature of the clipped-to-my-pants light came in handy.

My knife du jour changes at my whim, though today's is the EDCF Spyderco sprint run and a Buck/Strider 882 "Police Knife" on the other hip, in the limited-edition G10/ATS-34 material. I've also got a Leatherman Squirt EL in my pocket, but no cordless soldering iron to back it up today. ;)

LGT

Enlightened
This seems to have become somewhat complicated. If one has a rotation of EDC's, but all of their lights are not considered EDC's. Then perhaps EDC's could be classified into a subset. While I have no idea what I just said, it'd be great if it made sense.

fyrstormer

Banned
Fair enough. So in that light, my RC is still my EDC and when asked, my EDC-SU can then be discussed on a brand and model number basis as EDC in spite of it being RC.

EDC-SU = Every Day Carry - Specific Unit

("EDC-SU"... squeezed out another one thanks to the "specific unit" phrase - that was perfect ;))
You people... :D

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
This seems to have become somewhat complicated. If one has a rotation of EDC's, but all of their lights are not considered EDC's. Then perhaps EDC's could be classified into a subset. While I have no idea what I just said, it'd be great if it made sense.

But you do make sense. The EDC-SU lights you leave behind but are accessible are RC if you carry them on some form of rotation. Those you only carry for specific occasions (like dressed occasions for example) are ODC until you carry them, at which point they are EDC. The lights you never carry but are accessible are EDS and those that are not accessible are SS.