What does EDC mean, seriously...

guardpost3

Enlightened
But you do make sense. The EDC-SU lights you leave behind but are accessible are RC if you carry them on some form of rotation. Those you only carry for specific occasions (like dressed occasions for example) are ODC until you carry them, at which point they are EDC. The lights you never carry but are accessible are EDS and those that are not accessible are SS.

Exactly.

This should be a sticky :cool:

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
I almost squee'd at another happy Groovy! owner. What's in your sandvich? ;)

Mine's stock as it came from PhotonFanatic a few months ago -
750ma single-mode with a brilliant white U3SVNH P4 and stippled reflector.
I just run it on CR123's.
Has the nicest close-to-medium beam of anything in the stable, with a perfectly smooth spot-to-spill transition, and is always so much brighter than its actual lumen output suggests.
I got it because it matches my Para2; I carry it because it's the greatest EDC light I have.
Groovy_PM2_Edge.jpg

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
Wow. Holy lord. If I posted a question similar to this on the automotive forum, I would've had nothing but people bashing me for asking such a dumb question, telling me to search the forum, telling me to use google, and generally disliking the post. As if I had somehow ruined their day by adding a thread that they didn't want to waste their time reading. They then chose to read it and cry about it.

You guys over here at CPF take things a different direction. I asked a somewhat dumb question, and got the most in depth, informative analysis I could have never imagined. If anyone ON EARTH ever asks me what EDC means, I can give them details I never thought existed (and probably didn't before this thread)

Thank you for being kind (although hostility can be fun) and thank you more for being thorough! You guys really rip into a topic over here! :bow:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
CDO, it's exactly like OCD but it's in proper alphabetical order.

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
I know, I k.........help guys.

Hi! I am new to the forum! What a long trip to registration man, took a few days to allow me to post!

I do EDC a lot of lights, sounds crrazy, but it is really useful when you think of ways to use it though.

Depends what time of the day I am going out. Usually if at night, I will holster my TM11 and carry a M30 in my messenger bag or something. The M30 is the main light I use for indoor, checking the tires whenever I go get my car just incase people stole my "cap" on the tires, actually I saved my tires a few times! One time is the cap got stolen and so I can replace it right away. 2nd time is we found people put things behind the tires as a prank and we removed it before the tires got nailed. So.. it's very useful to have a light around in the dark parking level.

TM11 is very good for me if I go out at night and back to my own store.. the light is bright enough to check out the exterior of my place and so wandering dudes around trying to look for a place to break in will likely flee if they saw that kind of "spotlight" shining around. I caught one guy once and they flee, crazy eh? M30's bezel is ready to battle too. It's tough!

A PA10 is always in my bag as a spare too. Now I never go without a light! Wow!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
[...]
You guys over here at CPF take things a different direction. I asked a somewhat dumb question, and got the most in depth, informative analysis I could have never imagined. If anyone ON EARTH ever asks me what EDC means, I can give them details I never thought existed (and probably didn't before this thread)

The question wasn't dumb, most of us have wondered for a while and found out through time and patience. AND you got it right... those details didn't exist before this thread, so you might want to dose how much information you give people about EDC unless you're comfortable with sideways looks, straight jackets and pills.

[...]Thank you for being kind (although hostility can be fun) and thank you more for being thorough! You guys really rip into a topic over here! :bow:

Flashaholics are very thorough people. The more flashaholics I meet and the more surprisingly thorough I realise they are. I used to think I was weird. Now I know it's the people around me that are ignorant.

This should be a sticky :cool:

Thanks! I'm glad to see people are getting it.

JemR

Newly Enlightened
Wow. Holy lord. If I posted a question similar to this on the automotive forum, I would've had nothing but people bashing me for asking such a dumb question, telling me to search the forum, telling me to use google, and generally disliking the post.

Great thread fiberguy. CPF's the place to be. But this did bring a question to my odd mind. Can a car/truck/van used most day's be classed as EDC, or are you it's EDC? It does carry you. Weird that.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread fiberguy. CPF's the place to be. But this did bring a question to my odd mind. Can a car/truck/van used most day's be classed as EDC, or are you it's EDC? It does carry you. Weird that.

You obviously can't carry a car yourself, so a car isn't your EDC. The car can't use you -you drive the car, not the other way around- so you are not your car's EDC either. BUT... you can leave a bunch of stuff in a car, so the car would fit in with carrying apparel such as bags, backpacks, purse etc. making it an ODS-TC (Occasional Daily Stuff Transport Container) -your EDC already being on you an most likely brought home after the drive. I do much prefer to call my car a C.A.R. (Carry All Rapidly) since it's what it does when I drive it: carry a bunch of stuff, including me, at the speed limit.

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I can't help but agree with the above regarding a car. Some people, however are more attached to their vehicle than others. For myself, I spend roughly 20-60 hours per week inside my vehicle or within 100 yards of it, outside, in the dark at night. While my primary glow stick may not be in my pocket as I drive, may be larger than average, etc...It's still my EDC in my mind as long as it's within an arms reach at all times. In short, the door pockets on my work truck are an extension of my own pockets, making them eligible for EDC rights. When I hop in, the phones, lights, etc gets transferred from my pocket to my door pocket.

JemR

Newly Enlightened
You obviously can't carry a car yourself, so a car isn't your EDC. The car can't use you -you drive the car, not the other way around- so you are not your car's EDC either. BUT... you can leave a bunch of stuff in a car, so the car would fit in with carrying apparel such as bags, backpacks, purse etc. making it an ODS-TC (Occasional Daily Stuff Transport Container) -your EDC already being on you an most likely brought home after the drive. I do much prefer to call my car a C.A.R. (Carry All Rapidly) since it's what it does when I drive it: carry a bunch of stuff, including me, at the speed limit.

Thanks Cataract. A thoughtful answer. I though it a reasonable question, if a little cheeky. I think maybe vehicles can be EDC. If heavy fully loaded toolboxes in them are. The OP post #7. Vehicles are a work tool for many, are they not? Here come a few more. You list a bicycle in your Weekend EDC list, should that not therefore also be on the ODS-TC list? I have a bicycle but not a motor vehicle. It's actually therefore a C.A.R. for me, never a Weekend EDC. What about boats or motor bikes you can, or not, put on trailers like your weekend bicycle. Weekend EDC, ODS-TC or C.A.R.? You can tell me to go away.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I can't help but agree with the above regarding a car. Some people, however are more attached to their vehicle than others. For myself, I spend roughly 20-60 hours per week inside my vehicle or within 100 yards of it, outside, in the dark at night. While my primary glow stick may not be in my pocket as I drive, may be larger than average, etc...It's still my EDC in my mind as long as it's within an arms reach at all times. In short, the door pockets on my work truck are an extension of my own pockets, making them eligible for EDC rights. When I hop in, the phones, lights, etc gets transferred from my pocket to my door pocket.

If it's within arm's reach, being carried daily and used regularily, sure, why not consider it EDC. It is after all mostly a matter of personal preference to carry those things around with us.

Thanks Cataract. A thoughtful answer. I though it a reasonable question, if a little cheeky. I think maybe vehicles can be EDC. If heavy fully loaded toolboxes in them are. The OP post #7. Vehicles are a work tool for many, are they not? Here come a few more. You list a bicycle in your Weekend EDC list, should that not therefore also be on the ODS-TC list? I have a bicycle but not a motor vehicle. It's actually therefore a C.A.R. for me, never a Weekend EDC. What about boats or motor bikes you can, or not, put on trailers like your weekend bicycle. Weekend EDC, ODS-TC or C.A.R.? You can tell me to go away.

No, I won't tell you to go away. Somehow my mind has had a huge insight into the subject and I like refining things like this and can't really think of all the details alone ;)
Maybe work trucks should be considered EDC/EDT - Every Day Carriers/Transport. The tools inside -provided they're not just there "in case" like the ones in my trunk- can definitely be considered EDC. They don't fit in your pocket, but you still carry them around and use them on a daily basis. But if you're paid to use them, some people will say they're just work tools period. There's a measure of personal preference attached to these terms.

As for boats, bicycles, motor bikes, etc. We could probably say Every Day Carriage or Every Day Vehicle- if used daily. Otherwise they could be called something like OPC/OPV or OSC/OSV (Occasionnal Pleasance/Sports Carriage/Vehicle). I think we could sub-divide transport categories wayyyyy beyond the scope of just EDC - sports, travel, work, leisure, etc. So I'll just stick to Every Day category and things we put in pockets to stay in line with the thread's title, but I have to admit I'm curious how far this thing could go. I'm sure there's a way to fill a whole dictionnary with these terms and then a whole other dictionnary with the exceptions and the terms they bring to light. By the end of the dictionnary we'd probably sound like a bunch of hopsital escapees with a latter ODC (exactly like OCD, but in reverse alphabetical order :p)

JemR

Newly Enlightened
It's a very interesting subject thread, Cataract. Made far more interesting by your great posts. You categories are very inventive. I do agree with most of them, they got me thinking. Hope you didn't mind me playing a bit. EDC has to mean different things to different people, In different walks of life as shown in the thread. People will make up their own minds and share them with us. Take care :)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a very interesting subject thread, Cataract. Made far more interesting by your great posts. You categories are very inventive. I do agree with most of them, they got me thinking. Hope you didn't mind me playing a bit. EDC has to mean different things to different people, In different walks of life as shown in the thread. People will make up their own minds and share them with us. Take care :)

Thanks, and I agree 100% there is personal meaning in there. I can't help but feel like I jacked the thread, though...

Glock 22

Enlightened
EDC (Every Day Carry)
M31 in a VME head with a E1B body and a Z68 tailcap
Fossil Watch
Case Classic Pocket Knife
Wallet
Truck/House Keys
Delrin Spare Battery Carrier with a CR123a in it.

Alland44

Newly Enlightened
I work in a big welding shop, and I have to have a good light in my pocket. I drive a forklift, and I don`t like flashlights in my belt.
I carry a noname 250 lumens zoomable standard light, Good building quality.

I also have a torch Cree Xm-l T6, with two 18650, when I visit the stockroom at the other side of the road, at night. A few weeks ago
this ligth was a Varta 3xa 125 lumens. This is now retired and placed by the staircase at home.

EDIT :
A good light is important, when you chek for welding errors.
The welders hate my 250 lumens now

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
I work in a big welding shop, and I have to have a good light in my pocket. I drive a forklift, and I don`t like flashlights in my belt.
I carry a noname 250 lumens zoomable standard light, Good building quality.

I also have a torch Cree Xm-l T6, with two 18650, when I visit the stockroom at the other side of the road, at night. A few weeks ago
this ligth was a Varta 3xa 125 lumens. This is now retired and placed by the staircase at home.

EDIT :
A good light is important, when you chek for welding errors.
The welders hate my 250 lumens now
Better that you find the welding errors than the end customer does. MUCH easier to fix them if you find them!