What exactly is voltage and current?

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
lymph, you can think of a capacitor as a water tower. The reservoir volume is the capacitance and the tower height is the charged voltage.

Paul

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right hand rule?... sure we aren't talking about pocket pool instead of bowling now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eeew.gif I thought it was called the left hand rule... hehe, I'd better google search to make sure.
Do you mean that rule doesn't seem like something someone who didn't know what voltage and current really meant should know about? I sort of knew what current was on some level but not on other levels. Voltage I had less idea about. Yet I could understand certain things about how electricity works.
For example, I explain in detail to my guitar students, how and why the pickups in their electric guitars are just little generators, and generators are just motors working in reverse, etc. However, I was victim to what you could call "bits and pieces" syndrome... a conglomeration of random facts and concepts, but lacking the cohesive foundation of basic knowledge from which everything else follows. Happens all the time when there's so many different and interesting things in the world, and ya' bounce around from subject to subject without fully learning one. After a while, ya' get tired of "bits and pieces", which is what led to my post.
Sorta' the A.D.D. way of learning things, I know. But, thanks to all who posted their explanations, that large gap in my basic understanding of what V and I actually are, is gone. Makes me feel like an EEIT (electrical engineer in training... for proper pronounciation, hang out in Texas for a while until you hear this one particularly common word, then remove the SH from the beginning).
Much appreciated, everyone!

prescottrecorder

Newly Enlightened
Admirable curiosity, Bimmerboy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Now, what exactly are Maxwell's equations and how can you use them to derive Schrodenger's wave equation? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hahahaha.... *Elvis accent* well thank ya'... thank ya' very much.

I'll have to get back to you on the Maxwell House equations and those Schrodenger thingies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are all wrong regarding bulbs, they arent light emitters, they are: dark suckers.

Here is the theory explained:

The Dark Sucker Theory

For years, it has been believed that electric bulbs emit light, but recent information has proved otherwise. Electric bulbs don't emit light; they suck dark. Thus, we call these bulbs Dark Suckers. The Dark Sucker Theory and the existence of dark suckers prove that dark has mass and is heavier than light.

First, the basis of the Dark Sucker Theory is that electric bulbs suck dark. For example, take the Dark Sucker in the room you are in. There is much less dark right next to it than there is elsewhere. The larger the Dark Sucker, the greater its capacity to suck dark. Dark Suckers in the parking lot have a much greater capacity to suck dark than the ones in this room.

So with all things, Dark Suckers don't last forever. Once they are full of dark, they can no longer suck. This is proven by the dark spot on a full Dark Sucker. The dark which has been absorbed is then transmitted by pylons along to power plants where the machinery uses fossil fuel to destroy it.

A candle is a primitive Dark Sucker. A new candle has a white wick. You can see that after the first use, the wick turns black, representing all the dark that has been sucked into it. If you put a pencil next to the wick of an operating candle, it will turn black. This is because it got in the way of the dark flowing into the candle. One of the disadvantages of these primitive Dark Suckers is their limited range.

There are also portable Dark Suckers. In these, the bulbs can't handle all the dark by themselves and must be aided by a Dark Storage Unit. When the Dark Storage Unit is full, it must be either emptied or replaced before the portable Dark Sucker can operate again.

Dark has mass. When dark goes into a Dark Sucker, friction from the mass generates heat. Thus, it is not wise to touch an operating Dark Sucker. Candles present a special problem as the mass must travel into a solid wick instead of through clear glass. This generates a great amount of heat and therefore it's not wise to touch an operating candle.

This is easily proven for lightbulbs too. When you compress a gas, it gets hot, right? So the light bulb gets hot because of all the dark being squished into the wires.

Also, dark is heavier than light. If you were to swim just below the surface of the lake, you would see a lot of light. If you were to slowly swim deeper and deeper, you would notice it getting darker and darker. When you get really deep, you would be in total darkness. This is because the heavier dark sinks to the bottom of the lake and the lighter light floats at the top. The is why it is called light.

Dark Suckers are only able to suck dark in a straight line. Dark, because of its mass, will not penetrate solid, opaque objects as it is being sucked by a Dark Sucker. When a Dark Sucker is operating, you will notice that dark that is behind a solid, opaque object does not flow through the object or around it to the Dark Sucker. Some of the dark will accumulate on the side of the object away from the Dark Sucker as the Dark Sucker attempts to pull it through the object. These residual patches of dark are often referred to as 'shadows.'

Some surfaces are able to function as secondary Dark Suckers by sucking the dark from behind solid objects at an angle and then rerouting it to the primary Dark Sucker. These surfaces have a property we refer to as 'reflective.'

Finally, we must prove that dark is faster than light. If you were to stand in a lit room in front of a closed, dark closet, and slowly opened the closet door, you would see the light slowly enter the closet. But since dark is so fast, you would not be able to see the dark leave the closet.

So next time you see an electric bulb, remember that it is not a light emitter but a Dark Sucker.

Pablo
Ps: copy pasted from the web /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Pablo,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif This forum Sucks Big Time... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Tom

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pablo - That was genius! My favorite part was "This is easily proven for lightbulbs too. When you compress a gas, it gets hot, right? So the light bulb gets hot because of all the dark being squished into the wires."
I hope you don't mind me stealing your phrase. I've started calling lights Dark Suckers.

Prescott - I think you've been pocket bowling as well, so I return the bow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
OK... only had a little time to check into this Maxwell/Schrodinger stuff the last couple days, and sites that give a fundamental explanation of what it's about have been elusive. Haven't found any "start from the beginning" information yet. Also, I'm NOT about to start learning that kind of math right now... hehe. What I can say, is that I'm getting a (yet another) vague notion of the subject, and I've seen a number of statements that, although unrelated, keep reminding me of the acoustical subject of harmonics.
Basically, the Maxwell equations are 4 essential mathematical formulae that explain the laws governing many different kinds of electromagnetic phenomenon. Schrodinger's wave equations deal with how, say for example, an electron that is moving under the influence of an external force, generates wave functions (not exactly sure what this means), whereas Maxwell's equations deal with explaining the electromagnetic force also generated from this moving particle. How Maxwell's is used to derive Schrodinger's, I also do not yet know.
I'll check it out a little more before it drives me nuts, but I could probably use a couple afternoons with Stephen Hawking. Thanks for the challenge! Hopefully you won't give me any more for a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

EDIT: A couple hours after I mention Hawking, a friend of mine sends this link
Hawking commercial
I didn't know he could rap!

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bimmerboy, pick up a Physics 101 text book or and old copy (cheap used) copy of the Amatuer Radio Handbook. Learn Watt's laws, Ohm's law. They are fairly basic and have direct application to Flashlight stuff.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
i still have my notes from electrical 'a' school from the navy.. every word.. it's one 3-ring binder about an inch thick of paper double-sided.. learned a hellovalot in only 8 weeks... i also did end up 'honorman' (highest grade in my class so i guess i lerrnt somthing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

the 'right hand rule' sure was funny during tests.

the water tower analogy is pretty good for capacitance.. but 'open to atmosphere' means 'attached to a spring' so it's an external source.. my 'hydro capacitor' would be a cylinder with a thin piston in the middle.. and a spring.. it would look like a 1-way valve but the valve would seal on the side of the cylinder vs a seat at one side.. the spring would push back on water pushed in (from either side)..

some of the 'funner' analogies to deal with are 'transformer'.. 'inductor'.. but it's very interesting that analog for an inductor is a coil of pipe.. transformers are a little more interesting.. you can simulate a transformer on a 'DC' model (one-way water).. with two positive displacement pumps geared together with different sized gears.. or using 'ac' water.. using a motor pushing a reciprocating piston into the system via a cylinder... in the 'ac' model.. you just use two different sized cylinders connected by a rod.

especially using clear pipes and some particulate (maybe you could use goldshlager (sp)).. it makes it extremely easy to follow all these different electric devices.. had i continued my EE degree i'd have built them all with clear pipes.

this has been a neat thread... shows the spirit of cpf.. wonderful.

-awr

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're exactly right, Andrew.
The zest for learning what makes things work, the comraderie, friendly atmosphere, etc. Just flashlights alone are not the only reason I've become hooked on this place.
I really have to say thanks again to everyone who responded to this. All the explanations were excellent, and I learned even more than I set out to.

mrg3013

Newly Enlightened
prescottrecorder - nice bowling ball analogy - now, how exactly do the pins and ball return fit in? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif