What happened to the day of uber cheap mods?

kz1000s1

Enlightened
CHEAP MOD:

2x14500 li-ion cells.
Any PR base 2AA light with decent build ($3-10).
6 cell flashlight bulb.

That's a good one. Sort of a modern version of what I used to build with an Energizer Industrial 2AA, 3 cr123 cells and a 5 cell KPR112 bulb. Unfortunately the reflectors would start to melt at 2 minutes run time. It worked much better when I started putting this combo in Mag 2C's. You can put a Surefire P90 or P91 lamp in these Energizers too.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/18833

Bushman5

Enlightened
Back when I joined, there were a buncha guys looking for nice host lights, a nice driver from the Sandwich Shoppe, a nice LED and would roll their own. Sandwiches for Mini Mags, Space Needle type mods (who did this first anyways? MR Bulk or Elektrolumens?), cheap chinese lights being modded like the RogueSoul. LED swaps in Dorcy AAAs....

Ahh, those were the days

Fenix came on the scene and blew everything out of the water. :twothumbs

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just talking LEDs here.
When Luxeons first came out, they weren't available in many production lights. There wasn't nearly as much of a market for LEDs, because the output was generally so low. Early mods upgrading greenie P bins to Q3J and R2H emitters, boosting stock circuits to 700mA instead of the 350mA spec'd for 1w LEDs...we made big differences in the performance of our lights. As high domes and higher flux bins became available, we could still make a noticeable difference by swapping to premium tints, ditching optics in favor of reflectors.
The expensive ones were lights that used custom parts, which became popular. Many of us wanted something nice and unique, not just a cranked up factory light limited by its design.
Buck/boost circuits let us use Li-ion cells that hadn't yet taken off enough for companies that were building lights to consider in their designs, too.
Now you can buy a $50-75 light that will smoke the ones we were spending $2-300 to build a couple of years ago, and flashlight manufacturers are incorporating multiple modes, adaptability to various battery configurations...things we could never get out of the box back then.
Now there's not much we can do that's practical to make a drastic improvement, except maybe improve the tint, and now manufacturers are catching on to that, too.
'Course there will always be people looking for more and more options and output "because they can", and mods like some that we're seeing with P7s and MC-Es(or multiples of those) will doubtless continue, but that's at a whole 'nother $$ level than what most of us are willing or able to spend for a EDC light.
I'd like to do a few more mods, but they'll be on an old favorite or two that I enjoy, and would like to update.
Most of the time, now, there's no point in doing them when we can get what we want straight from the manufacturer, or from a builder like Malkoff who gives us so much for so little investment.
As in many other aspects of day-to-day living, I'm sure the trend toward instant gratification :paypal: has had an effect on the situation as well.
A fact of life when you start modding, beyond expense, is time and aggravation. If you don't get a viable return on those...how long are you going to keep doing it?

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still routinely doing mods to my cheap lights.

Modded one of these with Jeleds, a custom two-mode 1xAMC7135 driver and a 18650 LiIon cell.

Modded one of these with Cree R2 and custom two-mode 4xAMC7135 driver (1.4A driving current to the LED with a fresh cell)

Modded a Shiningbeam L-Mini with a SSC P4 and two-mode 3xAMC driver (original driver blew; new driver is temporary until I manage an interface microcontroller swap in a regulated buck-boost driver from KD).

Modded a 1xAAA 1x5mmLED keychain light from qualitychinagoods with a Nichia GS

Transplanted the driver off another identical QCG light in a plastic 1xAA body. I started a thread about these, but I can't find it.

It's quite possible that I'm forgetting some other mods...

There are also several mods in various stages of completion, the nicest of which (if it comes out right) will be a complete rebuild of this with an improved heatsink, SSC P4 emitter, 2xAMC7135 driver and glass lens. I have all the components, but I'm having problems with the heatsink - the original has a huge hole where heatsinking is needed the most. I'm trying to grind down an eurocent to fit in the hole, but I'm having trouble doing a good enough job with the tools at my disposal.

Last edited: