What "Iconic" LED lights have to be put in a "HALL OF FAME FOR LED FLASHLIGHTS"?

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What "Iconic" lights would have to be put in a "HALL OF FAME FOR LED FLASHLIGHTS"

" RaidFire SPEAR " gets my vote! :D It was the 1st great thrower. Still is one of the best - great design, pencil beam. Just got mine out to take some pics to sell it - changed my mind!!

Climb14er

Enlightened
Re: What "Iconic" lights would have to be put in a "HALL OF FAME FOR LED FLASHLIGHTS"

I would have to say the original Lux V Surefire L4.... wall of light!

I've got one, my original and first LED light. A beautiful wall of light, lightweight and slim. It's here in the living room and it gets used from time to time, looking for CD's, books and adjusting the stereo. A classic!

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

" RaidFire SPEAR " gets my vote! :D It was the 1st great thrower. Still is one of the best - great design, pencil beam. Just got mine out to take some pics to sell it - changed my mind!!

Why did the "Spear" have such a thick glass lens?

It was well made and looked more to me like a sculpture with the amount of shaping involved in the design of this light.

Double o-rings for good waterproofing.

I remember that I could not afford this light at the time in about 2007 and I went for a cheaper light.

I liked that it came in a nice case.

Did it come in anything other than black?

CHEERS

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have to say the Sure Fire 6P and the Fenix P1D CE.
I would like to mention the original Fenix L1T as well, pop in a 3v AA and that thing was amazing.....back in the day :)

The Fenix P1D CE was a little pocket marvel in its day.

It was so short.

The twisty function was a bit difficult at times to adjust.

I did not like being forced as to only use CR123 Primary batteries and not rechargeable RCR123s (16340) batteries.

I was not heavy at all as I never noticed it in my pocket.

The lumens were very small in number but it got the job done I suppose.

CHEERS

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why did the "Spear" have such a thick glass lens?

It was well made and looked more to me like a sculpture with the amount of shaping involved in the design of this light.

Double o-rings for good waterproofing.

I remember that I could not afford this light at the time in about 2007 and I went for a cheaper light.

I liked that it came in a nice case.

Did it come in anything other than black?

CHEERS

The thick glass lens just kept with the theme " Built Well " transfers light well, does not distort beam. " Black " was the only color it came in. Clones came out later, but I heard they were inferior to the original.
Shape is great - the flared tail makes it very manageable, and makes easy access to the switch. Lots of good design here. :thumbsup:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

One of the very first dedicated LED throwers was the Dereelight DBS
A huge plus was it's ability to simply plug in a new pill, as technology advanced w/ emitters...{ P60 'drop-in' concept)

Still a great light today!

DBS V1_________________WadeF photo____^

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened

As much as I love both of these, I would respecfully disagree. These lights originally came out as incandescents and were later converted to LED with drop ins, so in my eyes they cannot be counted as LED lights.

Both of these lights did come in a LED version.... perhaps they meant to say 6PL and C2L?

BobG

Newly Enlightened

The Arc AAA gets my top vote along with many of the other ARC products, they made a AA version for awhile and had an RGB AAA that had a flashing pattern. My dog wore that model on her collar for years during our night walks. The Arc 4+ just for the sheer audacity of the design.

The Original Surefire L4 is also a great choice (Luxeon V - I still have two of them that see almost nightly use).

For "early" entries I liked the Brinkman Rebel 2 - had 4 5mm leds and could go from low (2) to high (all 4) with a head twist. Also used D size batteries, not so common in the LED world.
I also had a turle-lite (Dorcy?) many years ago. 4 AA's (I think) a head the size of 1/2 a grapefruit and a single 5mm LED... but did I think it was cool.

braddy

Enlightened

The Inova X5, Photon Microlight, and Lightwave 4000. Maybe the surefire L4 or L5, I think one of those was the first production pocketable "tactical brightness" flashlight.

Interestingly, this thread came up when I was googling how to repair one of my Lightwave 4000s, it appears to be a little corroded inside, I'm trying unsuccessfully, to figure out how to take it apart.

I would put the early CMG infinity, and the Fenix E01 on this list as well.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good thread! My votes would go to (in no particular order) the CMG Infinity Ultra, Arc AAA, Arc LS, Photon Microlight, and the original PAL Light. I'm sure there are others I would consider as well. I might have to look through my collection.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good thread! My votes would go to (in no particular order) the CMG Infinity Ultra, Arc AAA, Arc LS, Photon Microlight, and the original PAL Light. I'm sure there are others I would consider as well. I might have to look through my collection.

I set out to ask you guys about lights that you could "recall".

Now it seems a lot of CPFers have kept those same older "Iconic" lights.

Do you guys keep them to use to start good memories?

Do you just want a huge collection to surround yourself with like a trophy room?

Are you going to keep them for your Grandchildren to Sell or just keep as a momento of their Grandad?

CHEERS

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast

My photons are still in use, and they're still selling them. In the compact 5mm led world there really hasn't been a super huge improvement like we've seen with power LED's yet, so the solid engineering of those old 5mm lights still holds up today.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I set out to ask you guys about lights that you could "recall".

Now it seems a lot of CPFers have kept those same older "Iconic" lights.

Do you guys keep them to use to start good memories?

Do you just want a huge collection to surround yourself with like a trophy room?

Are you going to keep them for your Grandchildren to Sell or just keep as a momento of their Grandad?

CHEERS

How can I give up those old lights that I spent hours studying, reading everything I could find before hitting the "Buy it Now" button, and which still work? Yes, they will eventually go to my grandchildren. That is, if they can be pried from my cold dead hands. :laughing:

Geoff

Mikeg23

Enlightened

For me I held out on LEDs for a long time. I never liked the blueish color but there were some that peaked my interest.

The Eo1 I considered but ended up waiting so long that the Ldo1 had came out. Then I picked up the streamlight micro stream when it first came out. The gerber Infiniti had a lot going for it too.

In the interest of trying things out I bought an HDS U60 that was very pleasing. Also the early Surefire L1, E1L, and L4 were great.

I never owned one but the streamlight propolymer 4aa Definatly caught my eye.

In the end my "hall of fame" nomination goes to whichever light first brought about the trend toward warm and hcri lights!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll chime in;

1. Arc AAA

2. Muyshondt Aeon

3. Inova Microlight

4. Petzl Tikka (yes I know its a headlamp)

kelmo

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened

No Hall Of Fame would be complete without the Fenix TK70 towards the top.

DSCF3307Medium.jpg

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened

And the L3 Illumination K40 would have to be towards the top as well.

DSCF3981Small.jpg

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast

About 10 years ago Peak had a few models of lights that featured their "snow white" LEDs. I would nominate those as being the forerunners of lights with a good, pleasing tint. Most LED lights at the time were very blue compared to today's lights.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Skunklights McLux - first limited-production custom flashlight ever?

DEFT - A custom light that upped the the throw of LED lights in the realm of HIDs

DEFT EDC - a custom light that quadrupled the throw of 1-inch-diameter handheld lights

Olight SR-90 - the first mass produced led light to rival 35W HID lights on Lumens & Lux

SureFire U2 - I think it was the first led light with a rotary control

a list of the achievements of HDS-lights can be found here

Fenix TK-20 - first LED-Flashlight with ~4000K neutral-tint LED

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

And the L3 Illumination K40 would have to be towards the top as well.

DSCF3981Small.jpg

OK.

Thems fightin words!!

So where is the TN31 then?

I think the TN31 was out well before this light came out.

Maybe I am wrong, but I have never heard of the L3 Illumination or K40 until just recently.

CHEERS