What is the best light for cold weather?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Just what IS the temperature range of alkaline batteries? Lithium Batteries?

PhotonRanger

Newly Enlightened
A Mini Q-40 with lithiums lives in my pack, but I carry a Streamlight Syclone with lithium AA's in the car. Squat shape with swivel head + clip makes it much handier hands off for car repairs. Stout, waterproof and has an LED backup bulb.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by 3nails:
....I want to know what is the beat flashlight/battery combo to leave in the car in cold weather?....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just a reminder that although the LW 4000 and the Surge are both superior lights, I would hesitate to recommend them for cold weather use because they don't take lithiums. The Surge lamp will quickly blow out with lithiums and even though D size lithium cells exist they are horrendously expensive. The only portable light use for Lithium D's I know of is in the Action Lights HDS line of LED caving lights.

Brightnorm

r2

Enlightened
There's some good info on Energizer's site. For alkelines:

http://data.energizer.com/batteryinfo/application_manuals/cylindrical_alkaline.htm

Click on the temperature section. In short, cold temperatures extend the shelf life of alkelines, but they are bad when actually using the batteries.

Cars are hard on alkelines for two reasons. They tend to get hot (summer day, windows rolled up) which greatly reduces the shelf life, and when you need to use the light it is usually cold (it's dark at night, plus Murphy's law kicks in and makes you break down in the winter) so they don't perform well.

- Russ

Latest posts